FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Using donor sperm

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    lucille2012
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Using donor sperm

I’m surprised to not see many posts regarding the use of donor sperm including the decision, the process, choosing a donor, etc. does anyone have experience they’d like to share? I would really appreciate it. My husband and I are considering it, but can’t seem to find any perspective on the topic.
    Thank you!

2. Advertisement

SC-Kelley M.
    has no status.
    Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucille2012, you might find some helpful information in the Male Factor forum. I'm not sure if this link will work, but if you search "donor sperm" in the search bar above, you get a bunch of posts. I've copied and pasted my search results here (I hope it works!). Finally, you may want to check out some of the articles on FertilityAuthority related to donor sperm.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Something else that may be helpful - there is a lot of information (both in the forums and on FertilityAuthority) about using donor eggs/embryos. The tissue is different, but the conversations around deciding to use them may speak to what you're looking for about donor sperm.

Kelly0900
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucille,
    I hope you are doing great. I totally get why you can’t see many posts about donor sperm here. Just go to the Male Factor forum or look up in the search bar with key words.
    I have to say I am sorry that you guys have to do donor sperm. Would you be willing to share why you have had to go with donor sperm. I organize support group meetings with my sister. We will discuss donor sperm, and sperm donor. So, I would love to know more.

jane21august
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly0900 View Post
    Hi Lucille,
    I hope you are doing great. I totally get why you can’t see many posts about donor sperm here. Just go to the Male Factor forum or look up in the search bar with key words.
    I have to say I am sorry that you guys have to do donor sperm. Would you be willing to share why you have had to go with donor sperm. I organize support group meetings with my sister. We will discuss donor sperm, and sperm donor. So, I would love to know more.
    Repeating the same thing again and again is not going to help someone.

swiftmood
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered PGS NGS? From what I have read it might be a solution in some cases x

Ririand
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, we have experience of surrogacy, but we did not use donor material. Although we thought that this could happen. We assumed that doctors can offer us the use of donor material. Therefore, we spent a lot of time learning about this topic, I can share what I know. A sperm donor can be a man from 20 to 40 years old. He should have an attractive appearance and not suffering from congenital diseases, syphilis and other venereal diseases, hepatitis, alcohol or drug addiction. It is desirable that he had his own healthy children, which in this case serves as a "portfolio". He must have a certain blood type and its Rh factor. Also, he should be examined by a psychiatrist and consulted by a geneticist. In most cases, the beginning of the program is stimulation of ovulation. And regular monitoring of follicular maturation. In order to choose for the procedure of insemination the day of release of the egg from the follicle. Sperm should be resistant to cryotherapy. Its quantitative and qualitative indicators must also comply with the adopted standards. All donors pass the quarantine phase, during which the use of donor sperm is impossible. During this period, numerous tests and tests are carried out. These tests should exclude the presence of certain diseases in the donor. All samples of the donor seminal fluid are cryopreserved and isolated for 6 months. The donor undergoes retesting for the suitability of his sperm for insemination immediately before using the sperm. If you use donor sperm from a clinic or sperm bank, you will not know the identity of the donor. But you will have access to the following information:
    ethnic group;
    personal characteristics (eye color, hair color, weight, height).
    This information can be made available to your child when he reaches the age of 16. If you want to know the details. If you use donor sperm, contacting the appropriate medical institution, then you can be sure that the donor: will not qualify for the paternity of your child. Between you and the donor there will be no legal obligations.
    The donor will not be listed as a father in your child's birth certificate. The donor will not participate in the upbringing of your child, however, as in his financial support. It is strongly recommended to undergo psychological counseling before deciding to use donor sperm. When you make a final decision regarding the use of donor sperm, you can learn more about specific donors. And decide on the choice of a donor (based on the physical characteristics of the donor, ethnicity and / or race, level of education and career). Some clinics can even provide a photo (not always!).