FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Folic acid & PCOS

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    pinkphoeniix
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Folic acid & PCOS

Hi there! New to the group, just needed advice. Me and my boyfriend decided to try for a baby but my PCOS and lack of period since 2012 is making it difficult. My GP told me to take folic acid which I have done everyday for a month. Will this actually work?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2. Advertisement

arpantheking
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to take other medicines for Ovulation induction.Like Clomid.As your period is irregular.Folic Acid itself can't help.Try Clomid with couple of cycles.Also test your BF's semen before trying for best result.Good Luck

Kelly0900
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkphoeniix View Post
    Hi there! New to the group, just needed advice. Me and my boyfriend decided to try for a baby but my PCOS and lack of period since 2012 is making it difficult. My GP told me to take folic acid which I have done everyday for a month. Will this actually work?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    PCOS sucks big time. I have a checkered past with PCOS and TTC. I had been TTC for 3 years with my DH before deciding on IVF. To my great dismay, IVF did not work out for me. I have had an unsuccessful IVF cycle.

That is not to say that I haven’t tried some meds to overcome PCOS. I had been on folic acid, and Clomid. But, neither would work for me. Neither was successful in regulating my ovulation, and helping conceive. I am not saying this to dash your hopes. I literally can’t fathom why neither would work for me. I just had to face the music and explore my other options.

Nonetheless, I don’t think you should be discouraged. Just do as what your doctors says, and hope for the best. I don’t want to be a doom-monger by sharing my first-hand experience with you. Just telling it like it happened. I hope that folic acid will work for you. and, you can get pregnant without resorting to IVF or surrogacy~~

callisy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you can get pregnant with this syndrome. I am 26 years old and I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2000. I had been off birth control since I was 18 and never got pregnant. The doctor always tried to put me on it to help make my period regular and I declined because I wanted kids. I too had a surgery to remove 41 cysts in 2001 and havent had to have another one yet. My periods were never regular. I also tried metaformin still no pregnancy. Then January of this year I got pregnant. Miscarriage rate is 40% for someone with PCOS, but I took metformin that my OB recommended to reduce the risk and I had a health boy this September. I had already adopted children a few years ago, because I had felt there was no hope and it just seemed as thou I would never have my own children, I finally gave up and that is when I got pregnant. My first sign of pregnancy was the sore breasts. So, keep your head up. I would highly recomend seeing an ob/gyn, like us. We went to Bio tex clinic. My husband and I tried for 7 months and finally I went to the gyno just for a check up. Thats when he found cysts. I'm glad I did. Otherwise I had no chance of getting pregnant. He is going to be putting me on fertility meds to help me ovulate. Hope this helps you, good luck to you!