FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Too Old To Conceive?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    TooOld
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Too Old To Conceive?

After 2 unsuccessful IVF attempts (I'm 42) and negativity from OB I'm really wondering if I am too old! Each egg harvest resulted in one mature egg, one cycle the egg was replanted. The other cycle didn't even reach implant. I thought the fact that I did have at least one egg was a positive? When I told OB via phone call I was going for a third attempt he indicated it wouldn't end well, did say though it wasn't impossible!
    I have read on Google doctor Coq10 would help eggs quality? I would appreciate thoughts and advice on this and even positive stories! Should I throw in the towel?

2. Advertisement

tissy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TooOld View Post
    After 2 unsuccessful IVF attempts (I'm 42) and negativity from OB I'm really wondering if I am too old! Each egg harvest resulted in one mature egg, one cycle the egg was replanted. The other cycle didn't even reach implant. I thought the fact that I did have at least one egg was a positive? When I told OB via phone call I was going for a third attempt he indicated it wouldn't end well, did say though it wasn't impossible!
    I have read on Google doctor Coq10 would help eggs quality? I would appreciate thoughts and advice on this and even positive stories! Should I throw in the towel?
    Could you try a different doctor? I feel different doctors have different techniques and outcomes from my experience....
    Me: 37 PCOS
    DH: 36 Healthy

IVF Success-Delivered 16Aug2016
    Natural pregnancy-Miscarriage at 12 weeks (December 2012)
    Natural pregnancy-Miscarriage at 7 weeks (July 2014)

Clomid Cycle:
    8 cycles (2 chemical pregnancy, 6 BFN)

#2 FET: Transfer Date September 18th, 2017

#1 IVF: Transfer Date November 24th, 2015
    1st Beta: 111 9dp5dt
    2nd Beta: 333 13dp5dt
    3rd Beta: 890 15dp5dt

Vita
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Too Old To Conceive?

Hi *Not*TooOld! I'm 42 in a few months time and I'm still following my heart towards my first child, currently considering ivf. I too have heard that CoQ10 (especially Ubiquinol) improves egg quality, and eggs start forming 3mths before ovulation (or longer) so it's probably worth taking for a while.

Maybe more important for some women though is unconscious stress and emotional wellbeing, and if my OB said that to me, I would be pretty stressed! Is there anything you can do to support yourself with that, including reading positive stories? It's true no one can predict what the outcome of your next attempt might be.

Sorry to hear your two attempts of ivf didn't give you your BFP. Great you got a mature egg each time - as far as I understand that's less common if age is an issue, so that's a good sign imho.

Have you come across the book called Inconceivable by Julia Indichova? She conceived naturally (with #2) having been told, aged 42, her FSH was too high for IVF. In it she describes all the changes she made in her life, so you might find that helpful. It's been a lifesaver for me!

She's supported thousands of women to conceive through ivf or naturally since then, many over 40 and after several failed rounds of ivf. There are lots of positive stories on her website and forum. A lot of her approach is based on really tapping into your body wisdom, so as you're asking whether it's time to throw in the towel, I also thought her books and her fertileheart.com website might help you decide what your next steps are in following your longing, and when to take them?
    Last edited by Vita; 01-30-2016 at 05:26 PM.
    Likes tissy, Tulip1834, cheerful_cherry liked this post

Tulip1834
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Worried
    Hi TooOld,
    Hi there! First and foremost please find an RE! An Ob can't properly deal with our problems. Google some RE'S in your area and make some appt consultations. They will have other ideas of what you should do.
    Me: 38--DOR
    DH: 35--Healthy

3/15--Laparascopy
    4/15--Clomid 50 mg
    5/15--Clomid 50-100 mg*not monitored*
    6/15--Dx w/DOR
    11/15--IVF#1 Estradol Protocol- cancelled
    12/15--met with RE, then 2 more; 2nd RE--Natural IVF.
    1/16--no cycle.
    3/16 Cycle returned 1st of the month. At the end a cycle (or something) started.
    4/16 IVF turned into IUI--BFN
    Likes cheerful_cherry liked this post

TooOld
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the advice and support. It has made me realise my journey isn't over and I won't be giving up without a fight! Xx
    Likes EvesSecret liked this post

Vita
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear! Ultimately, following your longing can only take you towards your deepest gladness, it's just the path can be pretty darn rocky (understatement). Keep us posted. Vx

Eveline
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, TooOld! I'm sorry you're facing this problem. But still I'm sure this is not because of your age. You're only 42, women applying for treatment in 56 and older. I'm 38 yo. Having lots of trouble with endometriosis and PCOS combined. Have lapo done. But it brought no desired change - we still cannot conceive. At least I got rid of annoying pain. Also have tests done. And got unsatisfactory results. It turned out to be we aren't able to conceive with my own eggs. They are of too poor quality. Unfortunately they give us 5-8% we can do it with OE. And this is just nothing. So we decided to book DE IVF program including 5 attempts.
    I'm saying all this to assure you age isn't the main matter. Our clinic offers lots of different programs and see with no age limits!
    Strong hug for you and just keep going whatever the decision will be x

Katniss
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool
    I would appreciate thoughts and advice on this and even positive stories! Should I throw in the towel?
    Hello! I am 44 I would love to give a positive story but unfortunately, I do not have one. Just hope for miracle and good luck to us.
    Me (44) PCOS (AMH 6.3)
    DH (47) normal

IVF #1 2001 -twins ( with the same DH as now)
    Ectopic 2010
    IVF #2 November 2012 - PGD abnormal
    IVF #3 March 2013 -failed, no blasts
    IVF #4 July 2013 - PGD abnormal
    IVF # 5 January 2014- BFN
    IVF # 6 December 2014 - 1 normal 5D blast by PGD
    FET March 2015 -transfer of PGD normal blast failed- BFN

lovelady
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello
    I think age is never the mane problem! You are defo not too old. May be you should see couple of different doctors and compare their opinions!
    My story have a happy ending, but I use surrogate program to become a mother. I think it's always the way out depends how much you want something!
    I hope you are not too stressed (coz it never help) and well
    be strong

TooOld
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Too Old To Conceive?

After visiting my OB who is also an RE he has agreed there is still a slim chance. He will scan on 2nd day of period to check follicles and then I start clomid, nasal spray and injections. He has changed my trigger. Fingers crossed! Thanks again for support!
    Last edited by TooOld; 02-05-2016 at 04:28 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast