FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Shettles Method: How to Get Pregnant With a Boy or Girl

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Did The Shettles Method Work for You?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Followed the directions and conceived preferred gender!

0 0%
  • No, even though we followed the directions we did not conceive the preferred gender.

1 100.00%
    Medicmedic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angry

Dr. Landrum Shettles, a of the pioneers in in vitro fertilization at Columbia University, studies gender selection and published his findings in the International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics in 1970 called “Factors Influencing Sex Ratios.” His book from 1996 entitled “How to Choose The Sex of Your Baby” may still be the most popular home method to influence your next child’s gender. Shettles theory involved the differences between the boy producing sperm (Y-bearing) and girl producing sperm (X-bearing). He stated sperm that produced boys were smaller, faster, shorter-lived, fragile and had a round head. This was in comparison to the girl producing sperm that were larger, slower, longer-lived, hardy and had an oval head. Shettles believed these differences could be used to improve the odds of conceiving a child of the desired gender.
    Shettles method involved correctly timing intercourse. To properly time intercourse, ovulation must be accurately detected. Ovulation kits are available to accurately predict this. Many have great success evaluating their cervical mucus.

How to Have a Boy
    Ideally intercourse will occur 12 hours before ovulation, and will occur only once. This is important because the Y-sperm are faster. As the egg is released during ovulation, the faster Y-sperm have travelled ahead of the X-sperm, meeting with the egg and fertilizing it. During ovulation, the cervical mucus becomes more slippery allowing the sperm to easily swim through it.

To increase sperm count, avoid ejaculation for only 4-5 days before ovulation. Always use a condom before and after ovulation, except the one attempt on the day of ovulation. This will prevent the possibility of conceiving when it is more likely to produce a girl.

The father may have a couple cups of caffeinated beverages 15-30 minutes before intercourse. Shettles believed this would give the sperm a boost, with the Y-sperm swimming even faster. Intercourse with deeper penetration is preferred, such as rear entry to deposit sperm as close to the cervix as possible. Women should orgasm, which will increase cervical mucus which favors the Y-sperm.

Shettles book originally recommended douching with baking soda and water to alkalize the vagina’s environment. This is no longer a recommended practice as it is believed to lead to infections.

How to Have A Girl

Ideally, after the last day of your period, intercourse will be frequent and will end 2-4 days before ovulation. Frequent ejaculation naturally lowers sperm count, which could increase the odds of conceiving a girl. (Avoiding ejaculation to increase the chances of a boy is NOT recommended, it could actually decrease fertility).

The mother should avoid caffeine.

Orgasm should be avoided, as it will keep the vaginal environment more acidic which is better for X-sperm. Intercourse with shallow penetration using the missionary position, face-to-face with man on top, is preferred. This will give the sperm a longer distance to travel and the hardier X-sperm, with a longer life-span should outlive the Y-sperm.

Shettles book originally recommended douching with vinegar and water to alkalize the vagina’s environment. This is no longer a recommended practice as it is believed to lead to infections.

Shettles Method is only a suggestion of methods to improve the odds of conceiving the preferred gender. This is not a fool-proof science. The only 99.9% foolproof way to conceive a child of the desired gender is through preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) or preimplantation genetic screening (PGS).
    Likes deepakshah liked this post

2. Advertisement

Medicmedic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angry
    I'd love to hear the stories involved with using this method of gender selection. Shettles Method has mixed reviews online, some claiming a very high success rate others say its a little more than 50% (which seems to me it's still a gamble). What's your experience?

Sammy.Jo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there!
    Just purchased and received the book by Dr. Shettles, I am planning on TTC #2 in August or September and using the shettles method.
    It took over 2 years to conceive my daughter and crossing fingers it doesn't take as long for hopefully a boy!
    I will let all know at some point heheh.

deepakshah
    has no status.
    0-99 post 2 of hearts

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey ,
    Nice to hear that natural method on gender selection.
    But still I have doubt. Can you explain me what are the chances of this successful method. Can you give me some examples Or anything else.

NannyKate
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read yesterday in "The Impatient Woman's Guide to getting Pregnant" that this method did not work and in fact actually worked more effectively in reverse. I don't know what to believe. But to me it doesn't matter, boy or girl, we just want a happy healthy baby.

bellanna711971
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    We started a Video Journal for our TTC journey. And everyone is invited to be a part of our journey!!!
    YouTube link:

http://youtu.be/P341ihTzdiU

Samantha30
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    hi there,
    Two thumbs up for natural methods in conceiving.My sister recommended this link maybe it could also help. dream baby
    Last edited by Samantha30; 05-30-2014 at 11:31 AM.

ProudFather
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Have you heard of the Ideal Selection Method?

tiyashrivasthav
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info. Thank you for sharing this.

juliedespino
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Info