FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Problem with surrogacy agency regarding escrow

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Kinneret
    IP

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with surrogacy agency regarding escrow

I am proceeding with surrogacy in California. I signed a retainer agreement with an agency (and paid her full non-refundable fee), in which a costing sheet is referred to where she itemises necessary and potential costs, and specifies at what point various amount will be put into the escrow account. Now my contract with the surrogate is almost agreed and signed, and the agent has sent the attorney and myself a costing sheet to which she has added another $30,000 which she is demanding to be paid at first heartbeat. In my retainer agreement with her, she does state that these are estimated costs and may vary at any time. But to vary by $30,000 with no adequate explanation or proper itemisation? $15,000 is towards medical expenses, but it seems I will be paying a $15,000 lien to the surrogate's medical insurance company (which would not be taken from the $15,000 medical expenses she wants in the escrow account) and all costs will be paid from that, apart from costs I pay directly to the clinic. Another cost has been duplicated. It is very hard to communicate with her on this - she is immovable. One potential cost is not applicable to me. Apart from that, I have budgeted according to her original costing. She has added attorney fees which I assumed would be for the pbo, but she is saying it isn't for that, but for unforeseen costs. I want that money to be for the pbo - my attorney and the surrogate's attorney fees. There is loss of faith and trust here on my part - how can I work together with her and trust her to make instructions of payment in relation to my escrow account? Is there any other way to do this?
    Last edited by Kinneret; 08-26-2016 at 07:54 PM.

2. Advertisement

ChinaMonkeys
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a State Adoption Board in Sacramento, California have y'all consulted them??

There is a State Social Services Board in Sacramento, California. Have y'all consulted them??

I am finding your Post difficult to read and to translate, but I agree with you .

That there should be a Professional ( and I would even think it has to be ' Notarized ' ?? ) , Adequate accounting or at least explanation in writing??

Quote Originally Posted by Kinneret View Post
    I am proceeding with surrogacy in California. I signed a retainer agreement with an agency (and paid her full non-refundable fee), in which a costing sheet is referred to where she itemises necessary and potential costs, and specifies at what point various amount will be put into the escrow account. Now my contract with the surrogate is almost agreed and signed, and the agent has sent the attorney and myself a costing sheet to which she has added another $30,000 which she is demanding to be paid at first heartbeat. In my retainer agreement with her, she does state that these are estimated costs and may vary at any time. But to vary by $30,000 with no adequate explanation or proper itemisation? $15,000 is towards medical expenses, but it seems I will be paying a $15,000 lien to the surrogate's medical insurance company (which would not be taken from the $15,000 medical expenses she wants in the escrow account) and all costs will be paid from that, apart from costs I pay directly to the clinic. Another cost has been duplicated. It is very hard to communicate with her on this - she is immovable. One potential cost is not applicable to me. Apart from that, I have budgeted according to her original costing. She has added attorney fees which I assumed would be for the pbo, but she is saying it isn't for that, but for unforeseen costs. I want that money to be for the pbo - my attorney and the surrogate's attorney fees. There is loss of faith and trust here on my part - how can I work together with her and trust her to make instructions of payment in relation to my escrow account? Is there any other way to do this?

Ririand
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, unfortunately such situations often occur. I even read a similar post on one of the forums. Therefore, it is better to choose those agencies that have proved themselves well. Because there are a lot of dishonest agencies at the present time. Agents, who first say one value, and then there are some "unprofitable expenses". Fortunately, we did not encounter such a problem. We flew for surrogacy overseas.