FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Good news!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Sissy2002
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news!

My little brother with autism Elijah who will be 4 on the 19th is finally starting to talk a little bit. Now when he gets hurt he will rub the spot that got hurt and say "ow...hurt." So im really hoping that he will remember the words that he has learned so he can start talking more fluently in the future. Also I noticed that he has not been on the computer so much which is really good so he has been getting more people interaction. About how old were your siblings with autism when they started communicating there thoughts and feelings with words?
    Likes Autism brother liked this post

2. Advertisement

Natasha63
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that is so exciting, i'm so happy for you!
    i remember that when my brother Marc started speaking, even though it was definitely with much coaxing and reluctance on his part, we were all so ecstatic. It's really interesting that Elijah is speaking on his own as well, as a means to express himself instead of for a reward like my brother.
    Congratulations!

-natasha

Minniegrl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats really great. I'm very happy for you and your family!

Lori
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah - my son started saying words at 2 1/2...but, really started expressing his thoughts around 4years of age. Your brother is making some nice progress! It amazing how quickly they learn the computer, its it? Also, he might learn to read before he learns to speak. Has your mom checked into that?

Lori
    Lori

"C&N" 9 year old twins

Big Sissy2002
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    No my mom hasn't checked into that however he has been going to school since he was 3 hes 4 1/2 now and he can identify all his shapes alot of colors he knows how to spell his name and he can write his name and now he can say alot but hasnt put together any sentences quiet yet but i know that hes getting there and it just takes time so I just have to be patient and encourage him

Big Sissy2002
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Elijah is getting better with his talking which is exciting. Although he broke his computer so he can no longer use it. I'm happy though because for the most part his hitting and kicking is gone and now its where we cant take more than 5 steps without him stopping and wanting about 4 hugs and kisses before we keep going. But I would much rather stop and give him hugs and kisses anyday than him have a meltdown because I wont let him hit me. And today I got to do my first Autism walk actually it was my first walk for anything. It was about 3.1 miles and it was very exciting by the end my mom was dying but me and my older brother didnt break a sweat it was really fun. Unfortunatly we found out that 1 in ever 150 kids will get Autism and two years ago it was 1 in every 166 kids so thats increased by a lot and its sad. Its not like ADHD which is what I have and it doesnt really seem to make that big of a deal if its 1 in every 9 or 10 kids or whatever that get it because its controlable. If the last number of thestatistics for Autistic kids keeps going down a good sized chunk of the earth population will have Autism .Its an epidemic and as of right now there is nothing we can do about it.And I hate it.

Big Sissy2002
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Update

So Elijah is now 5 as of May and hes been improving a lot! He can now use words in the proper context and at the right time which is very exciting for both my family and him! But his behavior has changed recently and he will try and beat up our 3 year old brother but he hasnt done that as much in the last couple of days which is good. Also he has been getting better with sharing and his independent living skills! We thought thathe couldnt get himself dressed but it turns out that in the morning hes just to tired to take the time to try and do it himself and he gets easily frustrated in the morning! This year is a big year for him he will be going into specail needs kindergarten, even though it will be like the past two years we still think its a big deal because some of the kids in his class last year didnt get to go last year when they were supposed to because they werent ready so im very happy to see that he is ready to move on! I just think that the move to 1st grade next year when the whole days start may be a little difficult for him because he's been doing half days at school since he started when he was 3 1/2 but thats in a whole nother year so i dont have to worry just yet...lol! Anyways i just wanted to give everyone Elijahs most recent update!

Natasha63
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Big Sissy!

I'm so sorry it's been so long since a reply! I just finished all of my college applications (what a relief), but things have been very hectic lately.

How is Elijah doing now? Still progressing in his language skills? How is his special school?

I wanted to respond to what you said in one of your earlier posts about there being more incidences of autism reported yearly as opposed to 10 years ago. Instead of looking at it as a sad thing, I see it as doctors being better able to recognize the signs of autism when they see it and diagnose it. This means that the child will have a better chance of getting treatment early, when it is most useful. Dont you think?

Hope you're well!

Big Sissy2002
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Elijah is good. Yeah his language has been getting so much better it has been easier to understand what he wants and needs latley, it still hard sometimes but its getting so much better. Hes doing good in school he was put in special needs kindergarten but he has been removed from there recently and went back to pre k because there were to many kids for him to handle and not enough one on one help from the teacher. Yeah i think that it is a good thing for doctors to recognize the earlier symptoms of autism but i also think it is equally important for parents to recognise these things be it little or big signs. And i hope that parents will be able to be more aware and not be in denial about these types of things. Recently here i think that the whole therapy section has been going down hill because they(the hospital) just wanted to do away with therapy for autistic children. They beleive that it doesnt do anything for them and that they would learn the same skills by just living normally at home. But i dont think that this is true. Elijah was taken out of therapy but thats because my mom and his therapist didnt think that going to therapy would do anything for him at the time and they were right. So he just goes in for checks now and he still has speech. He is no longer violent towards people with the excaption of our little brother who he likes to wrestle with. But i have noticed that his rituals(the amount of them) have been decreasing lately and they are not his main priority.

Good luck with college!

Natasha63
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yay Big Sissy!

Things sound like they're going reall well for you and Elijah. It's grea to hear his behaviors have decreased and he's becoming less violent.

It's too bad to hear that programs for autistic kids are decreasing in your area. One thing I've noticed for autism is that there are always new treatment options coming out, and at any given time some are more popular than others. I've also noticed that there isn't a single therapy that helps all autistic kids across the board--this can be very frustrating.

I remember when my brother was about 5 or 6 and my parents were desperate to try every treatment available, hearing that it had helped some other autistic kids. Unfortunately, the drugs/therapy/treatment never seemed to have a huge affect on Marc.

Do you know what kind of therapy Elijah was doing? Did it help at all or did you see any signs of improvement?

Hope you're well!

Natasha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast