FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Using PGD for gender selection?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    littletabby_83
    Is in awe
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed

Using PGD for gender selection?

Has anyone used PGD to pre-determine the gender of their embryo/baby? Dh and I have 3 beautiful girls and we'd like to try for a boy. We conceived our DD twins via IVF and as a result of that cycle, have 12 frozen embabies. We want 4 children, so if it comes down to it, we'll just d an ET on the best embryo and hope and pray for a healthy boy. However, I can't help but wonder about using PGD to ensure that we get our son on our final try??? It seems unethical and God-like to me and there is so much to think about... IDK

If anyone has done this, or even used PGD at all, I'd love some insight on the subject.

I know we should be happy with whatever we are so lucky to get, but after 3 daughters, it would be so awesome to have a little boy to add to our pack

Ultimatley, I would LOVE to be pg again and have my son that way, but if not, we will go with adoption if we can.
    ~Tabitha

Me(28), Hubby(25)
    DD (09/12/06)

DD twins (10/20/10)

IUI #1 10/1 & #2 10/31: BFN
    IVF 3/12/10:BFP!!! Fraternal girls! Arrived at 33 wks gestation

Natural BFP- 11/2011!!! IT'S A BOY

2. Advertisement

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    My friend benefited from a couple's choice to select gender. After two or three boys, the couple wanted to have a girl, so did two IVF cycles - the first produced two genetically normal boys, the second produced a genetically normal boy and girl. They transferred and bore the girl. They made the three boys available for embryo adoption. My friend bore a son.

I did blastocyst PGD and had two normals, one "no result" and two abnormals (as expected for my age, 50% normal). We found out after eSET (elective single embryo transfer) that the normal we transferred is a girl (confirmed now by u/s); we have a "normal" boy and the "no result" waiting. Our abnormals were a girl and boy. Our clinic's policy is to not reveal gender, but myself and others have obtained it.

I struggle with the God-like issue in regards to reproductive technology in general, more so than I would with gender. After all, I had five babes lost to me, and I didn't get a choice. Could have been boys, could have been girls... who got to choose that this girl would be born (FX) and those boys and girls would perish? Even my choice to transfer the boy or unknown next time -- the outcome is out of my control. I can't determine which may survive. (Plus I did PGS, so 6% chance the boy is a girl. Really, who knows!) Now in your case with 12 frozen embies, you'd have a good chance of bearing a boy, but still ultimately it is out of your hands.

~S
    Last edited by TTCyears; 07-15-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: (removed debate-like statement)
    Sharon, TTC 31-43, now 45, DH 48

TTC#1
    2003 NTNP BFNs
    2004-2009 (5w5d - 11w4d; cp - ep)
    2010-2011 Foster , IVF-ICSI-PGS, FET#1-eSET, DD

TTC#2
    2012 NTNP BFNs
    2013 FET#2-eSET, DS

TTC#3
    2014 NTNP BFNs
    2015 FET#3-SET (cp- mmc- ep!) long early pg loss (16w2d)

Journey is complete.

SC-Sherb
    living in CrazyTown!
    SC, BC of GP, 2WW & Preg after Loss-M/C
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Just wanted to say good luck to you in whatever you decide. I hope that someone can give you some more advice.
    Me 47/DH 48 Celebrating 25 yrs of marriage!!!

DS#1 - August 31, 1993 (24)
    DD - February 15, 1997 (20)
    DS#2 - August 25, 2008 (9)

2 - both at 10 weeks (1989 & Oct/07)

DMS721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I've only heard of being allowed to use PGD for gender selection when there are genetic/hereditary issues that are gender specific.

I understand where you are coming from though. I always dreamed of being a mom to a little girl, and now I have 2 boys. If there was anyway to guarantee baby #3 would be a girl, I'd be all for having another baby. Since there is no such guarantee I really think we will stop with our two boys. Part of me will always mourn not having a girl and all the mother daughter activities I've dreamed of doing. It's not that I don't love my boys but I had such a great relationship with my mom and looked forward to doing the same with my daughter.

Dawn

OrangeMood
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a girl now and one blast saved. After we do FET at it's either a girl or it doesn't work for next IVF i'm doing PGD. It's out of pocket $cash but my husband really wants a son...
    So go for it! In my clinic it is not covered by insurance, i think it is about $600.
    ME: 34, DOR, tubes don't work
    DH: perfect
    09/09: Ectopic, lost right tube
    01/09-05/09 IUIs: BFN
    04/10 IVF #1: BFP!
    05/12 FET #1: BFN
    02/14 IVF #2: cancelled, low response
    05/14 IVF #3: nothing to transfer
    04/15 FET#1 (DE): BFP chemical
    06/15 FET#2 (DE): BFP!
    10/18 Natural Surprise EDD June 2018

OrangeMood
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a girl now and one blast saved. After we do FET at it's either a girl or it doesn't work for next IVF i'm doing PGD. It's out of pocket $cash but my husband really wants a son...
    So go for it! In my clinic it is not covered by insurance, i think it is about $600.
    ME: 34, DOR, tubes don't work
    DH: perfect
    09/09: Ectopic, lost right tube
    01/09-05/09 IUIs: BFN
    04/10 IVF #1: BFP!
    05/12 FET #1: BFN
    02/14 IVF #2: cancelled, low response
    05/14 IVF #3: nothing to transfer
    04/15 FET#1 (DE): BFP chemical
    06/15 FET#2 (DE): BFP!
    10/18 Natural Surprise EDD June 2018

littletabby_83
    Is in awe
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Orange- So your clinic will do PGD for gender specific outcome? I have heard that most won't do this. I'm not sure yet if mine even offers it for that reason, but based on my discussions with the RE when we had our IVF, he made it sound like he would... We aren't ready to do it just yet, so don't want to waste the $ for a consult.
    ~Tabitha

Me(28), Hubby(25)
    DD (09/12/06)

DD twins (10/20/10)

IUI #1 10/1 & #2 10/31: BFN
    IVF 3/12/10:BFP!!! Fraternal girls! Arrived at 33 wks gestation

Natural BFP- 11/2011!!! IT'S A BOY

cfmama
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We used PGD because my husband and I both carry the gene for Cystic Fibrosis (we have a son with this disease). Our clinic does not choose embryos based on sex but they did tell us after the transfer that it was a girl! It's really cool to be only four weeks preggo and know that it's a girl. I know there are some clinics that will let you use sex as a determining factor but I think most find it unethical. Good luck!

Midnight78
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. After two consecutive miscarriages, we were planning ivf with pgd to select healthy embies. In the conversation, we talked about gender, and it seemed like we could choose what we wanted. We ended up conceiving our dd naturally while prepping for ivf. If I had 3 daughters and needed to do ivf with pgd to conceive at all, then I would select a boy if possible.

Can you do pgd on embies that are already frozen? I have no clue.
    Me:33 DH:34 TTC#1 Aug'08
    Oct'08: D&C missed
    Feb'09: Hysteroscopic resection, septated uterus.
    May'09: D&C missed after excellent betas & heartbeats. Turners Syn. RPL Panel-clear.
    Aug'09-Dec 09: Clomid/GonalF IUIs, failed.
    Mar'10: Taking mental break, BFP
    Beautiful DD 11/24/10
    Jan'12: chemical
    May'12: IUI gonalf. BFP
    Due date: Feb 4, 2013