FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Quinlan pics and L&D story

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tanjalalie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quinlan pics and L&D story

My oh my, not much else gets accomplished when first learning to take care if a little one, does it?

But, here we are, with the story.
    I went in Sunday evening full of excitement and swollen like a waterballoon.
    Upon check, my cervix was maybe a fingertip open, not much effaced, and the head at -3 station. So, Cervidil it was.
    The awful thing was that they could not for the life of them make my IV port.
    My veins are thin and hard to prick on the best of days, but with me swollen up like I was(still am alas) it was nearly impossible. It took 4 busted ones (veins), and three staff to finally get it done. I was good and did not scream and did not kill them afterwards. Such self-restraint!

The next morning around 9AM Avi and two sets of grandparents-to-be arrived, bursting with excitement, and ready to support me through any contractions and laborpains.

I was maybe 1 cm by then, but more thinned out and the head at -2, so the evil pitocin drip was started, with increases of the dosage at 20-mins increments.
    After some deliberation I agreed with the OB to wait with the Epidural till things had gotten started, as, so far, they had been going so very slowly.

Around noon I was maybe 2 cm, and barely feeling the contractions even though they were cranking up the dose higher and higher.
    "This is it?" I thought. It wasn't at ALL like the excruciating pain I remembered from the pitocin they administered after my D&C last year.

So most of the day really, I got to visit and chat with everyone, but was starting to get worried about how slowly things were going.

At around 3:30 PM I lost my mucus plug. PROGRESS!!! we all delightedly thought, the OB included. She checked and said I was maybe getting close to 3 cm. Still, progress. She decided we would continue.

At 7PM, we were still at 3 cm, and she decided to break my water, and screw up the pitocin to the highest possible legal dose. Lovely. I was ALL for it, though. Until then, things had still been a breeze, if tedious because of the slow progress.

Well. The work I did between 7:15 and 8:45 was the hardest I ever did in my life. The contractions started up in earnest, rapidly, stronger and stronger and I about saw stars. It took all I had to make it through them, as they came fast and furiously, literally taking my breath away. At 8:45 I begged for the Epidural.

The first one I never felt being done, due to having to focus so hard on my contractions. Sadly, it turned out to end up slightly to the right, so after some checking and discussion a second one was put in, slightly to my left side. Specially since we already suspected a C-section would be in the future due to the happining ( NOT ) progress....

Oh! Epidurals are miracles though! I felt blissfully numb the rest of the night! I told the Anesthesiologist I would send him a medal.

For a while longer the contractions continued, though I barely felt them anymore. After about another half hour or so though, they tapered off again. More and more so, till they finally almost stopped.
    At the same time, Quinlan's heartrate, which had stayed nicely around the 130-150 rate throughout the day, started hitting the 190's. Consistently, not occasionally. I was watching the monitor and getting more and more worried when I saw that. After 15 mins of this, staff came running and started checking things out, his heartrate stayed freakishly high, and the OB checked me again: 4 cm.

So, no more contractions, his poor little heart now on overdrive for over 30 mins already, I told the OB I thought it had been enough, and she was glad I thought so too.
    I was quickly prepped and brought to the OR, Avi barely had time to get into his suit!
    I was more than ready though, and very relieved, all I wanted anymore was to have him out safely and to know he was healthy.
    Things went quickly. A new anestesiologist, a hop onto another table, the hanging of the blue sheet and a cut, and then Avi was told to stand up and peek over the sheet to watch his son's head, then body, get born. He bravely did! And said it was just the most awesome moment in his life.

Quinlan Nathaniel Paris
    Born at 11:10 PM on August 29, 2005
    6lbs., 10 oz.
    18 3/4 inches

It took a while for Quinlan to cry, later I heard it was due to all the blood he had swallowed. He finally did, when they were in the process of suctioning the blood out of his lungs, and then it was a good, strong, protesting crying! Music to our ears of course. We got to see him a few seconds after they were finally done with that, and Avi got to hold him a moment.
    Then he was whisked away to the NICU. Avi followed while I got stitched up.
    They say I snored blissfully! And I don't even snore! I never thought I did anyway!

In Recovery Avi would come run in every ten minutes to bring me updates: The grandparents have seen him, the sugars are good, the breathing is improving, his heart seems ok......
    I was just happy and thirsty! I should have taken those ice-chips during the day when I had the chance!

I spent the night lying awake in my room, waiting to hear when he would be able to leave the NICU, while consuming 12 cups of ice-chips (Avi counted).

Finally at 8 AM Tuesday morning he was brought to us. And I got to practice getting used to being a mom And admire his hair and his profile (all Avi's side of the fam) and his long toes and fingers. And try this breastfeeding thing !!!!

Here are some pictures of all those glorious first moments.

Love,

Tanja
    Last edited by tanjalalie; 09-03-2005 at 11:29 PM.
    Me: 42, DH, Avi: 29. Three
    IVF #2 12/04: Twins. Twin B at 11 weeks, 2 days
    Twin A: Quinlan Nathaniel, 6lbs, 10 oz. , born 08-29-2005 Proud to be AHM!
    Natural miracle Kian Yehuda to be delivered by C-Section on 2-16-2007

2. Advertisement

flicka7
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, Tanja. I would expect nothing less than a full head of hair for your baby! These babies sure are stubborn, aren't they? Just don't want to come down and out. Enjoy this time and let your parents do EVERYTHING for you, OK?
    Me & DH, 47
    POF, 6 IVF's, 2 m/c, finally successful with DE
    5, twins & 3.5

Crystal
    is enjoying life.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    AW... What a beautiful babe! So glad he is here safe and sound! Congrats to you and your dh!!!
    Crystal

Lisa Canoe
    is...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Asleep
    Congrats Mom!

You have a beautiful family.
    Lisa Canoe Been there, done that, got the Ya-Ya Princess T-Shirt
    m/c 11/01 m/c 6/02
    M & J b. 9/12/07 * 36 weeks 1 day * Everyone home 10/9/07

bianca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats Tanja!! What a story you have to share with Quinlan when he's older. Glad he's healthy & all is going well.
    Mummy to my 3 miracles:
    Jacinta Margaret 9/8/03 (thanks to a great herbalist )
    Kaelyn Eliza 9/18/05 (a total surprise )
    Elise Jaimee 7/19/08
    after nearly 3yrs ttc #1,12 failed clomid cycles, 1 IVF & 1 FET

nandu
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, crying again. Sounds like a tough day, but it all worked out so beautifully in the end. Look at that family Tanja!! I am overcome with joy!

Good luck in getting your feet wet with all that new mommy stuff. Soon you'll be an expert!

Big warm family hugs,
    Rhea

punky
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sooo thrilled for you!! He's absolutely adorable!! Enjoy!!

pugified
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Brooding
    He is so stinkin cute! I'm so happy for you! Congrats
    Me 31, DH 33; Dx: Male Factor
    IVF #1 - BFP!
    DD #1 ~ Ava ~ Born August 22, 2005
    FET #1 - BFP!
    DD #2 ~ Lyla ~ Born April 14, 2008

tanjalalie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all!

He is very sweet and we love him to pieces, but can someone tell me why during the day I cannot rouse him for his feedings even, and at night he is up all night, wants to be fed every hour, and cannot be calmed down?

The pediatrician says it's normal. Poor parents the world over!

Tanja
    Me: 42, DH, Avi: 29. Three
    IVF #2 12/04: Twins. Twin B at 11 weeks, 2 days
    Twin A: Quinlan Nathaniel, 6lbs, 10 oz. , born 08-29-2005 Proud to be AHM!
    Natural miracle Kian Yehuda to be delivered by C-Section on 2-16-2007

~RD~
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How did I miss this?!?!?

Quinlan is perfect! I am sorry that you had such a tough go of it but I am glad to hear that all is well. You make a lovely family.

Mommy to "Boo" and "Ya-Ya"

My website - www.StudioRachel.com
    My blog - www.StudioRachelPhotography.blogspot.com
    My etsy store - www.BooBearBoutique.etsy.com

"Men who fart in church sit in their own pew." - Mike Rowe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast