FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Pugified Update - Not sure what to think

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    pugified
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Brooding

Pugified Update - Not sure what to think

Hi all,

Had another u/s today. Cervix was measuring at 3.3cm. So, the measurements have gone 2.8, 4.0, 3.5, 3.3. Doc originally said he wanted me to get checked every two weeks until 24 weeks, but then after todays measurement, he said he thinks all looks good, that I am out of the danger zone, and we can stop the u/s's, but i'm only 22 weeks. Now i'm terrified that something is going to happen between now and 24 weeks, and we will never know. I don't know what to do. I'm especially scared since the measurements seem to be going down ever since the 4.0. He says that anything over 3 is good, but I feel like i'm barely above 3, and i'm .2 less than last time. What if in 2 weeks, it drops to 3 or lower, but we never know.

Ugh - I don't know what to do. I feel like I should trust him and his judgement but at the same time i'm really scared and would really like one more check at 24 weeks.

Any thoughts from anyone? Especially those who have had cervix problems before? Am I really out of the danger zone? Will they do any sort of cervix check at my 26w appointment (even manual)? Am I being totally irrational?

Thanks ladies.

Losing my mind in NC
    Me 31, DH 33; Dx: Male Factor
    IVF #1 - BFP!
    DD #1 ~ Ava ~ Born August 22, 2005
    FET #1 - BFP!
    DD #2 ~ Lyla ~ Born April 14, 2008

2. Advertisement

bianca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No advice here but it seems like so far your OB has been on the ball about taking good care of you so I would trust his opinion. Sending you peaceful vibes &
    Mummy to my 3 miracles:
    Jacinta Margaret 9/8/03 (thanks to a great herbalist )
    Kaelyn Eliza 9/18/05 (a total surprise )
    Elise Jaimee 7/19/08
    after nearly 3yrs ttc #1,12 failed clomid cycles, 1 IVF & 1 FET

flicka7
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had cervix problems so far, but at my 18 week u/s, my cervix was 3cm. I asked the tech if that was long enough and she said they like to see it at least at 3cm. Of course, I would have liked it to be longer to be safe, but I'm taking their word for it.

I have my monthly check up tomorrow and I'm going to ask the OB about it. But, I'm sure you're fine too.
    Me & DH, 47
    POF, 6 IVF's, 2 m/c, finally successful with DE
    5, twins & 3.5

Ale
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I'm visiting from the Oct board. I say go with your gut. Alot it depends on your history. I had a leep done 3/4yrs before I got pg w/ dd. OB told me it could cause an incompetent cervix. My ob was great. I started feeling pressure around 20 wks. I called & they had me come in. I was fine. However I ended up having a rescue cerclage placed at 24 wks & was in the hospital for 2 wks. After that I was on bedrest for the remained for the pg. Having said that, I did some research for this pg (currently 16 wks 1 day, had preventative cerclage place last Monday). Alot of the research suggested vaginal u/s between 18 & 22 wks to check cervical length with monitoring every 2 wks to track if the CL seems to be short. As you an see, because of my history, I decided to have a cerclage placed early. I'm one that is more conservative.

If you want the monitoring, I would push for another vaginal u/s at 24 wks.

Ale
    edd #2 10/10/05

~RD~
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sweetie go with your gut. I am sure that your OB will respect your concerns and if he doesn't then maybe he isn't the doc for you.

I have no experience with cervical issues. Sorry!!!

Mommy to "Boo" and "Ya-Ya"

My website - www.StudioRachel.com
    My blog - www.StudioRachelPhotography.blogspot.com
    My etsy store - www.BooBearBoutique.etsy.com

"Men who fart in church sit in their own pew." - Mike Rowe

Crystal
    is enjoying life.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree, definately go with your gut. I'm sure Dr. is staying on top of things ( sounds like he is) but only you know what you are feeling.. so go with what you feel hon ((HUGS))
    Crystal

MyraVA
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've always been told that the danger zone for incompetent cervix is from 18 - 28 weeks. I would ask your OBGYN for a couple of more checks. I say this not because I think something is going to happen but if it did you would always be second guessing your decisions. This is one thing that you can have control over. I think that if you tell your OBGYN that you are nervous and it would really make you feel better than he/she will do it. I know my OBGYN has been great with me this PG because he knows how nervous I am.

I do think that your cervical lengths sound very good though. It's just that I know you can understand that I now come from a "it's better to be safe than sorry" attitude when it comes to being PG. One thing that I will always regret until the day I die is that the few days before my cervix ripped open I had this feeling that something wasn't right and that I should call my OBGYN (mucus changes and pressure down there). Instead I read the pregnancy books and convinced myself that I was just being paranoid and I didn't want to be that pain in the @ss patient. If only I could go back and do it again...

So you know how I feel. Always call your OBGYN for anything that concerns you and push for what you feel is right or will make you feel more secure. That is what they are getting paid for.
    Me (38), DH (39)
    Trevor James b/d 11-28-03 at 21w1d and Shane Thomas b/d 11-29-03 at 21w2d, my angels
    "Sweet Pea" and "Pooh" born 6-13-05 at 24w5d, my miracles
    Countless Clomid & Injectible cycles, 8 IUI's, 2 IVF's, 2 FET's, and three M/C's

kathrynlee
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heather~
    I think your cervix is a good job so far!! BUT I would go with your gut about getting another check... or two!! I go in every two weeks and will continue until 26wks. You and this baby have come so so far and I would do what is best for the baby!! Your doc sounds GREAT but if anything happens it will be your loss not his/hers. GO IN IF IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER!!! (ps my cervix changed bt 22-23 wks last time)

Kathryn
    Me(32) DH(33) Male Factor
    IVF/ICSI #1 Twins born @ 25wks 5days
    Stephen b4/22/02 & Braddock b4/22-d5/20/02
    IVF/ICSI #3 Bennett 8/26/05 7lb 4oz
    IVF/ICSI #4 t/f 3 8 cells on Mar 2 08 BFN
    IVF/ICSI #5 5d t/f of 3, Cerclage IT'S A GIRL!! C-sec Feb 20th

tanjalalie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am with everybody here, Heather. Call and state you really want a few more checks. MUCH MUCH better to be safe than sorry, girl!! And those docs get paid enough to be able to grin and bear us PITA patients.

PLease follow your instincts and make that call. Three minutes of assertiveness now will pay off in a month and a half of peace of mind!

Tanja
    Me: 42, DH, Avi: 29. Three
    IVF #2 12/04: Twins. Twin B at 11 weeks, 2 days
    Twin A: Quinlan Nathaniel, 6lbs, 10 oz. , born 08-29-2005 Proud to be AHM!
    Natural miracle Kian Yehuda to be delivered by C-Section on 2-16-2007