FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Raising Boys Without Men..

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Didi1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Raising Boys Without Men..

I just started reading this very interesting book by Peggy Drexler, PHD. It is very interesting and reassuring for those of us raising boys. She includes case studies of many lesbian couples raising boys.

Have any of you read it?
    If so, what did you think?

Didi

2. Advertisement

Climbinchic
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw that book - I think I'll probably need it - let me know what you think when you're done.

wintak
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now now now..you don't KNOW it's a boy.

BUt definitely let me know, too. My library system doesn't seem to have it in their collections.

I often wonder if we're doing something wrong to DS because he is the only boy in the family, my dad is dead, DP's dad is in FL, tios (uncles) are in CT and NJ and don't really try too hard to keep in contact. He is in school with males, but his teachers are all female (except the karate teacher). My friend has a male companion but he's barely there for his OWN kids, much less take out the boys for an afternoon of bonding

Does this affect him? Are we making him too....I dunnoo...do I push him too much for male things when he seems to prefer some girl things?

Case in point...we're at my friends house and there are other kids there (boys and girls) and they come running down the stairs all yelling...I think it was star wars or superman or something...so one has a sword (play sword), one has a light saber and my son comes down with a toy microwave which was in the girls' room.

Will he turn out oK?

amy

hkaleiwahea
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did any of you get the idea that you need a man to raise a healthy, confident boy?

My viewpoint (and I have a gay brother, and 2 gay cousins all with children whom have turned out relatively well) is that to nuture a child, they need to be loved. It doesn't even really matter who that person is.

Really. I want to know!
    Heather
    Proud SAHM to Hayden 4 years old!
    Last edited by hkaleiwahea; 09-20-2006 at 11:58 AM.

Eskie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really only feel bad for DS when for example last weekend his DD decided to dress him up as Snow White - he looked precious and DD just kept giggling that he was a great princess

Other than that I think just loving them is the best gift we can give them. I read a book for Lesbian parents that say it is good to raise 'children' with the thoughts that they can do anything (cook, work with tools etc) that minimizing the gender bias actually increases confidence and eases some of the stress of adulthood - time will tell if that theory pans out
    DD - Dec 19, 2001