FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Any teachers?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ssw
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Any teachers?

I am seriously contemplating going into teaching (k-4) but I worry about discrimination if co-workers and/or parents discover my life. Any thoughts from any teachers? I've been in the business world for 15 years and I need a change of pace and I have a passion for this but always talked myself out of it.

2. Advertisement

kazzil
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a teacher and have an early childhood teaching degree like the one you're considering. I taught Prep (5-6 year olds) for about 3 years and then I ran a child development centre for about another 5. I never had any discrimination, but then I wasn't forward about my sexuality back then either (I didn't hide it, but I didn't make it obvious).

I now teach early childhood qualifications to adults and am completely out at work. They also know we're trying to have a child and are really accommodating when I have RE appointments (my Principal covers my classes while I'm not there). Noone bats an eyelid. I find it an accepting and welcoming industy on the whole.
    Kaz
    After 6 failed IUI cycles, we moved on to IVF and got our first BFP!
    Our twins were born 06/06/07 at 37.5wks

wintak
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I taught for a little bit, and DP has her degree (but rarely used it). Like Kaz said, don't flaunt it and you should be fine...like any other profession.

I know I had lesbian teachers in HS. Didn't ever see their partners, but just "knew" :-)

Amy

Climbinchic
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL - Wintak - I'd like to find a lesbian who doesn't have a lesbian teacher somewhere in their past that they look back on fondly! I actually had two in high school who were open (after awhile) with some students. I wonder if its b/c they were picking up early vibes and wanted to show support?

Anyway - I taught alternative education in a main stream system for several years - never had a problem - but never purposely outed myself - it came out more when I developed a personal relationship with someone whom I had a professional relationship - be it teacher or parent. The kids were too young to go there with.

ssw
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! The feedback is awesome. I'm not going to make something out of nothing. I've been in business for too long, I need to get out, way too boring! No kids yet but DP and I are planning on seriously starting this fall, hope all goes well.

Thanks again!

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was a pre-school teacher and have a Masters in Education and I think as a general rule you keep your private life separate from your job. It wouldn't matter to me what orientation a teacher was.... just that he or she was an excellent teacher!
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)