FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Schneids

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    hkilleen
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Schneids

Hi Nancy!

Have you contacted your insurance to double check that they do not cover what they call "underlying treatments." When I did have medical, before I was a stay at home mom and worked, my insurance covered underlying causes. They covered all of the medications, just the co-pays were on us, all of the ultrasounds, blooddraws, Dr. and Nurse consultation time and any lab work that the fertility clinic sent in to have done. They only did not cover the actual procedures themselves or the donor sperm. So, for our IVF we paid just about $5000.00 total out of pocket with all the co-pays and that included the storage fee for the embys for 1 years and the cost to freeze them.

Just wanted to make sure you had checked. I had to call my insurance to make them start paying the fertility clinic. Had I now checked directly with them, I would have never known to take advantage of that benefit.

You may also want to check what the adoption laws are in your state. I know here in Washington, when Loni adopted our son Hayden as a Step Parent adoption, she wrote off all of the fertility clinic charges and we also got the adoption credit that year on taxes of $10,000.00. I guess in the very end we made money Not that is did or will ever matter how much our children cost

Take care!
    Heather
    Proud SAHM to Hayden 3 years old!!
    Heather
    Proud SAHM to 18 month old Hayden!
    TTC #2 July 2004...our first FET

2. Advertisement

schneids
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    hey...thanks for the information. There is nothing covered by my insurance for the ivf stuff. Thanks for the thought though.

Not sure about adoption or what the next step is for us. We are just taking it one day at a time.

I am so glad that it all worked out for you in the end.

Thanks and take care!

Nancy