FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Parenting Question

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    undertherainbow
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Parenting Question

Hi all,

Wondering if any of you experienced or inexperienced parents have ideas. My Caileigh is 22 months and she is out smarting me. Keep in mind I am a social worker specializing in teenagers - behavioural management.

So, the lastest of her adventures is to remove all her clothing including diaper, leaves for messy clean up. She is not ready for toilette training as she is not identifying when she pees etc. Of course I realize this is normal behav. The catch is between day care and myself we created obstacles to change the routine of clothing .... like one piece outfits. Here is what my dd did... Today after day 3 of one piece outfits, she found the buttons on the front. Undid two button, then proceeded to take off her diaper.

Now part of me is very proud of her intelligence, the other side realizes I'm going to be a busy single mom! lololol. Any creative ideas on curbing this little streaker?

Thanks

2. Advertisement

AmyP
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    She really is clever isn't she!!

I don't actually have any ideas - Mia was never much of a nudist. All I can say is with 2 year olds is that you really have to pick your battles - or you will drive yourself CRAZY! I thought your idea was brilliant - who knew you would have a little Houdini on your hands!!!

Good luck

Amy
    Amy

Mom to Mia
    born Guatemala 4/2/2000
    home to Boston 7/5/2001

Eskie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    No ideas -- sorry - Hope someone else has an idea for you
    DD - Dec 19, 2001

hkilleen
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there!

You know, Dr. Brazelton has a WONDERFUL book on toilet training. It's called Toilet Training the Brazelton Way. I really like him. Being an attachment parenting couple, his ideas are never too extreme. He would say that she IS identifying with herself and with the sensations she is feeling. That said, I would put on her diaper backwards and put a little potty in your bathroom and take her with you when you and your DP go. I know Hayden always liked to sit and mimic us when we were going. I don't think you could really keep her from taking off her clothing...maybe overalls? Hayden has never been in daycare so that phase was not really and issue for us. I let him be naked or half dressed all the time. Sounds like it's not o'kay at daycare to be an exibitionist I think it sounds cute!! What is more adorable than a naked toddler butt!!

Good luck!! Maybe you shoudl reward her for either staying dressed all day long or for putting her clothes back on after she has taken them off. Something little and immediate as she is still very young. Like just 1 M&M when she does it. The flip side of that would be that she does not get M&M's for any other reason ever or they will loose their power!!

Take care!
    Heather
    Proud SAHM to Hayden 3 years old!!
    TTC #2 Mid to late Oct FET
    Heather
    Proud SAHM to 18 month old Hayden!
    TTC #2 July 2004...our first FET

jeronimo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    You may also want to look into a whole different direction – she may be doing it not to upset you but because she has some sensory issues. If its sensory you can work on it though its usually a phase that passes. Otherwise, a reward system for keeping cloth on is the best. Also, the more you respond to her doing it (regardless of what response it is) the more likely she is to repeat it as at this point all she wants is attention, no matter what type of attention…

Didi1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Benji has the opposite problem. He has fits when we try to remove clothing and change the diaper. He tells us when he has peed and pooped, but will run away when it's time to get changed. By the way, he has three potty chairs! (all gifts) and loves to put his dolls and animals on them, but will rarely sit himself!
    There is a little girl who also likes to strip at Day Care....I'll ask the teacher what she is doing to change this behavior...

Good Luck,
    Didi

undertherainbow
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all

Some great ideas............ The Update on little Houdini is that she is an artist! Today the day care provider - actually stitched up the snaps on her jumpsuit in an attempt to keep her clothed. and She broke free!.

Yesterday, I put her in pull ups and she did well, except took her pants off. I'm leaving "seeds" of questions with the caregiver as Caileigh is not doing it with me. Only occassionally when left at nap time, or in the morning when I take a shower and put her in the crib, or at bed time. But even with that for me this week she has been excellent

I'm leaning towards that fact that the caregiver probably leaves the kids alone more often then not. She provides for only three little ones all around Caileigh's age. -Well that is fairly judgemental, but, I can't figure out why the big difference between here and there.

I did get her a potty, and she has sat on it once at daycare. But she knew immediately what it is for. No peeing, but will sit on it and play with it. Caileigh is yet to tell me when she pees but has a couple of times with the bowel movements.

I'll keep ya updated with the Houdini acts! She cracks me up with her determination!

All the best to everyone