FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Gaurdianship for non-bio mom...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    RiTay
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Gaurdianship for non-bio mom...

DP and I just spoke with an attorney today to draw up a parenting agreement, and she told us that we won't be able to adopt each other's bio child, but that we can get permanent gaurdianship for them, and that we would both have equal rights!

We are SO excited, I can not even describe! This is something that we have spoke about for so long, but that has never been legal here. Some of our friends just used the same attorney a few months ago, and they weren't even able to do it, so this is brand new (at least for our county). I can tell you our attorney is about to get some good buisness from several of our friends.

We are making progress ladies. Every little step counts. It makes me feel so good that when our baby is born that DP will acually have legal rights over him...it's amazing.

I was wondering, in the places the rest of you live, what are the laws? Just curious, because I know we are behind some other states.

I just wanted to share our good news we recieved today!

Gwen
    Dec 2005
    Sept 2014
    March 2015 BFP!! It's twins!! EDD 11/27/15

2. Advertisement

wintak
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We're currently in CO and when my dp adopted we were able to do a legal thing were we are both listed as parents on his US birth cert. I'm still not exactly sure how they can do that, but it's done.

Now I'm pg and due in a couple days and we hope to get a legal thing where it is my intent to have my dp provide 1/2 of her support (her being the baby) so she will become the legal guardian. I don't know if we can then get her on the birth cert, too. It's an anonymous sperm donor so I don't see why we couldn't get her on the birth cert too.

Anyway, we have to do these steps in 2 different counties to get it through. Oh yeah..then there's the $$ everyone wants for doing this.

Egads

Amy

RiTay
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear you on the money part, but it's all worth it to us. And it's not really too bad here.

Congrats on your little ones.
    Gwen
    Dec 2005
    Sept 2014

Blue
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    We live in Toronto Canada. Because my partner and I are legally married we do not have to assume gaurdianship or adoption of our little boy. She is automatically consider the legal parent of Griffin and her name is put on the birth certificate. This made things so much easier as I too was worried about her rights should something happen to us or to me. I mean my family would never not allow her to be his parent should it come down to that but I would never want her to be in a position of having to "fight" for her baby!

Glad to hear your partner has rights as well!

how did telling people at work go????

Woo Hooo our world is slowing coming around hopefully one day we can live discrimination and violence free.

RiTay
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow...GO Canada...that is awesome that you can get married...maybe the US will come around some day. And since we both have a bio child, it will really bring our family together.

So...I spread the news at work, and no one has asked me about the father...some have said "so I didn't even know you were dating someone", or things that effect, but that's easy...I just say "yep, we've been together for 2.5 years" and that usually ends the conversation. I know that people are asking some of my close friends, but they're not really saying anythin. So, overall, it has gone REALLY well! Everyone is SO excited. There are certain people that I would tell about my situation if they asked, but others I don't care to know, so we'll just see, but I don't think many people will ask anything else.

Thanks for asking...

Gwen
    Dec 2005
    Sept 2014