FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Huge scare!!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    AmyP
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Huge scare!!

When we were in Melbourne this past weekend, we went to the Victoria Markets - kind of a huge semi-enclosed fleamarket. Anyway, we were browsing, when out of the corner of my eye I saw Mia being picked up by a stranger! It all happened very fast - this woman was very confused and asking me if Mia was her baby, she was very relunctant to give her back to me - and I wound up pulling Mia away from her. Mia was hysterical for about 5 minutes - all these people were rushing over to us! Once I calmed down I realised I probably should have tried to get the police or something - this woman was obviously very troubled and likely to do something similar again, I suppose if I had been paying less attention - she could have wandered off with her - although Mia would have screamed her head off!

Since the weekend Mia keeps asking me to tell the story over and over again to her or anyone else who will listen - I guess she is working it through...
    Amy

Mom to Mia
    born Guatemala 4/2/2000
    home to Boston 7/5/2001

2. Advertisement

Didi1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my goodness! Amy! How frightening! I live in fear of something like that happening to Benji. He has a tendency to wander away and he is still a baby, so does not exactly understand the whole stranger danger thing...although he does have stranger anxiety. You should have reported the incident. That woman needs help! Wow, thank goodness you were alert and quick to act!

Didi

wintak
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is so scary. I often wonder if Ethan would just go with anyone. He used to go to ANYONE as recent as a couple months ago.

How scary for you. I am glad everything turned out AOK>

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness!!! You must have been scared out of your wits!!!

We just got back from Walt Disney World and I saw NUMEROUS kids with leashes on... some were 3 or 4 years old and I saw one child that was about 8? At first I thought these kids seem like they are acting very well so I couldn't understand the need for the leashes, but then again with such huge crowds at WDW I shouldn't be judging people for trying to protect their kids. Things can happen very quickly in a large crowd.

DS actually got lost in a kiddie playground maze (Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground/maze) with BOTH DH and I there watching him. (there must have been 2-3 exits out of the tunnel). A few minutes after DH and I did not see DS coming out the tunnel we looked everywhere and could NOT find him. Fortunately a lady who was a parent saw him exiting the playground and stopped him... realizing he was not with any parents.

Thank goodness for that lady!!! DS keep saying "remember when I was by the big can of playdough and I couldn't find you?" Hope Mia comes out from the experience with no trauma.
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

Eskie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate that moment of fear -- and the relief at seeing your child again.

I am glad that Mia is ok.

Eskie
    DD - Dec 19, 2001

ourFamily
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    How scary.. My heart started pounding reading your story. Do you think Mia understands what happened and what she should do if something like that should ever happen again.. I can not imagine how scared you were!

Becca
    ttc#2
    Mommy to Gatton 9/20/04