FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Considering Moving

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Eskie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering Moving

Ok we are about 18 months out from moving but we are trying to make a smart decision.

Our primary goal is to move to a location where DP can adopt our DD. That leaves 9 states that as of 2002 were listed as options and others are county by county.

Anyone know of any more recent info?

We are primarily looking at Northwest (WA or OR) but could consider moving out east to MA area.
    DD - Dec 19, 2001

2. Advertisement

Didi1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm somewhat partial to California (If only we could just ignore the Arnold factor.....At least we have Gavin here in San Francisco!)

Didi

wintak
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are moving BACK to CO where you are allowed to do paperwork that puts both parents' names on the birth cert if it is intended that the other parent it to provide 50% of the care.

It's not an adoption, but it helps if anything should happen.

We did that with our son..DP adopted him, then we jumped the legal loopholes and got my name on his birth cert as well.

Amy

AmyP
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll just put in my plug for Massachusettse where dp and I were able to co-adopt AND get married. Kind of confusing about how to do our taxes tho...

And of course, our governor is a complete a@#hole

And don't forget Ptown family week

Of course winter can be a little cold

hmmm
    Amy

Mom to Mia
    born Guatemala 4/2/2000
    home to Boston 7/5/2001

ina
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me put in a plug for New Jersey, specifically Maplewood and South Orange, where I live. Not only do you have the legal advantages, there are TONS of of glbt families, at last count 4 on my street alone! We're a 30 minute train ride from Manhattan, and we're racially and economically diverse. The downsides are high taxes and VERY high prices for housing. You can pl me for more info or even a visit! inarim@yahoo.com

ourFamily
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there.. but I am in TEXAS (this sounds a bit crazy.. ) and if you use the right Lawyer, who knows the right judge, the adoption goes smoothly. We have to go out of our county to get the adoption completed. Every year they try to bring in Legistation to make it only possible for foster and adoptive parents to contain one male and one female but the bill never gets far. My attorney has hired a lobbiest especially to watch the legislature and lobby.

We are currently working on the adoption process for my dp to adopt my son. Sadly she would have already adopted my son if we didn't run into a family crisis the past 6 weeks (dp grand mother is dying) We have put everything on hold trying to deal with it. Anyways..

I think in this day and age how this topic is being talked about in every state and legistlation is being written, you need to be aware of what the states legislature is doing. I wish the darn government would get out of our personal lives.. however this will NEVER happen.

Becca