FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
New Here!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    RiTay
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

New Here!

Just found this board from a post on the IUI board. I was wondering if there was one around. Little about me and my family. I am 24 and DP is 37. We have been together for 2+ years and are TTC #2. We have a son who is 7 that DP had before we met with a known donor who is still active in his life. I have been trying since october to have a cycle with my RE but keep running into problems. Hopefully will be starting again soon. Looking foward to talking with other who are or have been through similar things!

Gwen
    Dec 2005
    Sept 2014
    March 2015 BFP!! It's twins!! EDD 11/27/15

2. Advertisement

Didi1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Gwen,

I'm so glad that our marketing of the board is bringing new folks into the fold!
    What kind of problems have you been running into? I'm wondering why you are seeing an RE if you are only 24? Wouldn't you try at home first? Wow, I sure wish that I had started trying when I was in my twenties! Anyway, best of luck and welcome to the board.

Didi

wintak
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Gwen

We went down a similar road...although I am older..we tried at home with a known donor (and the bbt's and Ov predictor kits), then moved to clomid and IUI's, referred to RE who found polyps, then IUI's with drugs and finally ended up with IVF with drugs.

I am now pg with a GIRL who will be a little sister to our 2 year old son.

I just found this board, also...stay on it and we'll keep it active!

Amy

RiTay
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok...so here's the deal...we actually started TTC in June with a regular OB. At that time I was told that I may have PCOS, polycystic ovary syndrome. I knew I did...I hadn't gotten a spontaneous period in years (well I was never even regular), and I knew that I wasn't ovulating because I had been charting BBT for months. What threw off my ob, I believe was that I did not have the physical symptoms of PCOS. So, she put my on clomid, with no monitoring other than opk's and BBTing and then we did IUI in the office because of the clomid and she said this would increase our chances. It was very hard to track my cycle. BBT only shows when you did ovulate, and I was getting false positives on the opk's (due to the PCOS where I have naturally high LH levels). So, after three months with no success, I went to an RE (actually got turned down by one who does not see same-sex couples :-(. After a month of testing and waiting for results, I was officially diagnosed with PCOS. The first problem that I ran into was that they initially overlooked the fact that I had a serious blood clot when I was 14. They had already induced a period but canceld my cycle before anything could happen because they wouldn't put me on any medication before I was cleared through a hemetologist for the history of clot. Then I went through another month of testing with my hemetologist to see if they could find a reason for this blood clot that I had...they said it was just too serious to be a fluke. Results all came back negative. Hemetologist thinks I may have a clotting condition that has not been identified yet...same thing I was told when I was 14. So, I was put on lovenox, a blood thinner, as prophylaxis.

WOW, ok, so finally able to start a cycle. Had great response to clomid-was developing 3-4 follicles and told I would inseminate in 3-4 days and came back in 2 days for another ultrasound and blood work and my follicles had stopped growing...they were actually smaller, so cycle was canceled. And then last cycle, once again we induced a period, and then found I had a cyst on my left ovary, so I was canceled again.

So...that puts me to where I am now. I just found out my cyst is gone, so as soon as we come back from vacation in April, we will try, try again. DP and I say we think it's time now...something's gotta work out in our favor. Our son is starting to question whether or not he will ever get a little brother/sister. It has seemed like so long for him. A couple we know started home inseminating the same month we started trying and got pregant the first time. She just had her baby last week.

So, yes, I am only 24 (actually just turned today!), and people say that I have lots of time, but I've already been through so much it seems. I'm ready. My sister had 3 kids in the last 4.5 years...she seems to have gotten all the fertility and left me none. I have not given up hope though. I am so excited to get back trying next month, and I feel lucky that I found someone so young to want to go through this with me. With PCOS, it gets worse over time, so now are my best chances.

Sorry this was so long, but you asked a complicated question :-) and I do not mind sharing.

Take care,
    Gwen

Oh and congrationlations Amy!
    Dec 2005
    Sept 2014

Eskie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you could join us -- welcome and good luck on your journey
    DD - Dec 19, 2001

Didi1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gwen,

Wow, you really have been through a lot. I wonder if you have considered seeing an acupuncturist? I have a friend who had been told by all of the REs who saw her to use an egg donor (she was 33 at the time). She went to a chinese medicine clinic and now has two healthy children.

Also, have they offered you metformin (also known as glucophage)? This is a medicine commonly used by diabetics, but it is also know to stimulate ovulation in folks with PCO. I am on it (I'm diabetic) and heard from my diabetic endocrinologist that it can sometimes help.

Well, best of luck to you!

Didi

P.S. I also have a very long story related to my journey, but not enough time to write it all here....I finally succeeded through the use of donor embryos....a wonderful option that finally brought me success after years of disappointment.

wintak
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow..what a long journey already!

I know clomid (and the more potent drugs) can cause the cysts. My RE said the polyps I had were A): probably preventing me from getting pg and B): probably caused by the clomid.

WONDERFUL...LOVE to hear news like that, right? NOT!

Anyway..I hope you and DP are successful in your journey. Keep on the boards!

Amy

RiTay
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I am on Metformin. I've been on it about 3 months and don't think that it has done anything except make me nauseated for 3 months. But I've heard that it can take some time, and I may need to increase my dose again. For now, though, I'm just hanging in until after my vaca, then I am back to trying again.

Gwen
    Dec 2005
    Sept 2014

AmyP
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Gwen - just wanted to add my welcome. I can't share much on the infertility front. I was 45 when I was finally in a position to become a mom, so decided adoption was the right route or us. I wish you success in your journey.

Warmly,
    Amy

Mom to Mia
    born Guatemala 4/2/2000
    home to Boston 7/5/2001

Eskie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My body didn't respond to Clomid at all - so we simply decided I would stop trying - Handed the responsiblity to DP

Good Luck on #2
    DD - Dec 19, 2001