FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Nervous about discontinuing meds

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    tk87
    is 34 weeks pregnant!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Nervous about discontinuing meds

Hi, I am a newbie to the pregnancy forum. I'll briefly tell you my story:

I don't ovulate on my own and no doctor ever figured out why (it's not PCOS). My husband did not want to be tested. We tried Clomid, etc. for a while with a regular OB/GYN. My body did not respond at all. We then went to an RE and did Gonal-F injections (without IUI or IVF) and conceived our son, who is now 3 years 9 months old. Soon after our son's second birthday, we decided to go back to the RE to try for baby # 2. We tried Gonal-F for a few cycles - kept getting BFN's. We tried Repronex for a few cycles - still BFN's. We decided to do Repronex with IUI. On the day of IUI, my RE said my husband's count, morphology, etc. was very low. Needless to say, we got a BFN that cycle.

We then moved on to IVF with ICSI. Our first IVF cycle, we got a BFP and we were thrilled! Sadly, five days later, hcg was down to 0, indicating a very early m/c. We felt so defeated after all that we had been through - the highs and the lows, and to have to start all over again. Our second IVF cycle, we got a BFP but we were scared to be happy, to hope, to dream. Thank G-d, my hcg level continued to climb. When my RE was satisfied that all is well, he sent me off to a regular OB.

I am now 13 weeks and my OB said that I can definitely discontinue my PIO injections and estradiol (oral). He is an excellent OB with the best reputation and so I trust him. At the same time, I'm nervous to stop taking the meds. I hope everything will be ok without it. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance, stories of success, etc.

2. Advertisement

SC-Impatient_in_VA
    *ments* Baby pic in album
    Site Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I know it's hard to stop!

The baby takes over the job between weeks 9-12, for many women on the early side of that.

By 13 weeks the baby has definitely taken over the job for you. You can absolutely stop those meds and you'll feel so much better!
    Me: MTHFR A1298c & C677T
    DH: 32 1% Kruger
    TTC: since 02/2009

3 IUIs all BFN in 2011
    IVF age 33 #1 5dt of 2 (4AB), 4 frozen, chemical
    FET #1: 2 blasts, beta 241 @ 15dpo, 17dpo 699
    u/s: singleton w/ HB 148@7w4d, girl born 11/2012
    TTC #2: FET #1: 13dpo beta: 7 (chemical)
    TTC #2, FET #2: 14dpo beta: 148, 17dpo beta 1,114
    u/s 12/14/16

corona729
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told to stop PIO when 11 weeks. I was super nervous too but my OB insisted. He wants me only do prenatal and baby aspirin till due day. Now I'm 31 weeks, DS is very healthy and grow 2 week ahead :)
    Me: 34 ,Hysteroscopic remove uterine septa in Feb
    DH: 45 , Vasectomy since 30. TESE done in March

IVF #1
    ER- 3/25/15 11 egg 7 fert 1 5 day blast 1 6 day blast

FET- April 29 transfer 1 5 day blast 1 6 day blast Chemical

IVF #2

ER- 9/13 7 egg 7 fert 4 5 day blast
    FET- 10/14 transfer 2 embees

31 weeks now

wishb0ne
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just posted a similar question under general pg.

I am 47 and it's a donor pregnancy. I told my history in the other post, basically it was a long road to this pregnancy and it's our last and only chance.

My clinic wanted me to stop all hormone support the date I turn 10w cold turkey. I am terrified about this. Any other shares on how long you stayed on Estrogen/Progestrone and if you stopped gradually or suddenly - especially for a donor pregnancy since people like us wont have a corpus luteum to generate the hormones to support the pregnancy?

Much thanks!

tamarattc
    Jellybean's mummy
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Pensive
    You can ask to continue if you want. My clinic continues until 8 weeks but I asked to carry on until 12 and then stopped. I am 23 weeks now and all is well. I did the same with my first baby. He is now 16 months old
    Little Killian born at 9.59pm on 30th April 2016