FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Last night babysitter and what would you do?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shannij
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Last night babysitter and what would you do?

We had a dinner to attend last night and had a babysitter come by who we have used 2 times before. She is in her mid twenties and married so not immature. She is also a preschool teacher of 4-5yr olds.
    Now we got home about 10pm and she left then. we always check on Landon and when I walked in the room it smelled of vomit. My first thought was he had vomited earlier because he does this often. He coughs and wont stop till everything is out. Gross and I am concerned and will talk to pedi at 15mth check in a couple weeks.
    Well I walked over to his crib and his pillow was soaked. He had moved to the opposite side of the crib and his little comfort blankie was covered. It hadn't just happened I could tell it had been a while. Now I have a monitor which is my haste I had forgotten to hand to her but I have given it to her the time before. I know she didn't knowingly let him sleep in it but suppose he choked and she didn't hear him? All these scary thoughts went thru my head - the what ifs. I haven't called her to tell her this.
    What would you do?
    Off course we had him up changed him his bed and washed everything at 11pm and he went back to bed easily. I guess I don't really use my monitor that much anymore because my ear is soooo intune to his noises.
    me 40 dh 39
    tubal dx - 3 ectopics, '98 ivf#1 BFN- exdh,
    IVF 2004 - 24PN embryos all frozen(out of whack hormones)
    FET#1 BFN '04 - tube removed
    FET #2 BFP 10/06/05 Landon Scott
    FET#3 10/06 BFN
    FET#4 BFP 10/07/07 Harrison William
    FET#5 BFP 09/28/09 Brennan Rhys
    final FET#6 - will transfer 2 day 6 blasts (thawed and refrozen '09) Oct 2010 -

2. Advertisement

Robyne
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well - I wouldn't blame the babysitter. Erin once threw up in bed and I didn't realize right away. She had coughed a little and I thought nothing of it. She went right back to sleep - so I did not go in. I checked on her later and saw that she was sleeping in vomit.
    Robyne

Kyra Riley (5/23/03) and Erin Mckenna (11/4/05)

flagirl
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    OH poor little guy! I agree with the others though..... I am sure she didn't hear him. And who knows how long ago he had done it. Maybe she had just checked on him. Maybe next time ask her to peak on him every 30 minutes or something cause he has been known to throw up like that. Poor sweetie.
    Tina

Two precious girls -
    Anna (4/25/03) and Natalie (12/10/05).

jillgalindo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bored
    I'm sure she didn't hear him. Zoey was caughing and gagging all night and I would go in and check on her I didn't smell anything and she was sleeping so I left her alone. In the morning I walked in and her room stunk and there was vomit all over her bed GROSS. I felt like a horrible mom poor thing threw up all night but it didn't start smelling until it was sitting for a little bit I guess.
    me 33 mommy to Zoey 4 years old
    TTC #1 02/01
    It's a girl Zoey Lee-Ann born 12/13/05 1:29am 6lbs8ozs

CAKI
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I agree with the others as well....last week Rianna coughed in her car seat and I thought nothing of it, when I went to get her out she was covered in vomit! Gross. Its amazing how we are now used to certain sounds that we don't jump up and check any more!
    Caki
    3 iui neg, 1 ivf neg, 1 ivf chemical
    PG by acupuncture and herbs
    EDD - 1/16/06

DD - Rianna Li Shu born Oct 8, 2005 25 weeks and a fighter! 1lb 11oz - 12 inches long!

Blondie8
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's certainly useful to ask her about it...did she hear anything? did she notice him coughing alot? anything odd. I don't know the size of your house but in my house with the layout you would need the monitor to hear DS in his room. (I can hear him without but that's my Mum ears) I would have been felt freaked out if I came into DS's room after he'd vomited, I'm sorry your night out ended this way.

FWIW, DS vomited once in his bed and he barely made a sound, moved away from it and was still sleeping.

I'd definitely talk with the Doc to rule out reflux or a bronchial hyperreactivity, hope his appt is coming soon
    “Children don’t belong to us. They are litle strangers who arrive in our lives and give us the pleasure and duty of caring for them–but we don’t own them. We help them become who they are.” Gloria Steinem

Mrs.H
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree with what everyone else said. I'm just wondering what you decided to do.
    Monica

Claire, Lily, Tess

ReneeZA
    is South African
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Hi

I cant imagine she would have left DS in vomit. She might have not known. I will ask her though if she did not hear him coughing or any odd noises. Is she someone you use often.
    Renee

EriMichelle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps just tell her next time that ds has the habit of sticking his fingers down his throat and he sometimes throws up. Then ask her to check on him after she puts him down to sleep. and if she hears him coughing/choking before he falls asleep - it may be that and not just a cough.

Once you give her the knowledge - she may be better at keeping an eye out for it. She may not have expected that to happen and did not keep a closer eye on him.

We are so in tune with our children that sometimes I expect my MIL to "know better" but then I realize she isn't with him all the time and has not learned all his noises and cues. The more information I can give her the better she is at anticipating his needs.

I am sorry you had to deal with that. We had a babysitter when Kai was 5 months. I was getting ready to go to work and I came around the corner and Kai's bib was covered with spit up. I felt so bad for Kai and I kept thinking she should have changed it - we had a ton sitting around.

me-Erin dh-Brian ds-Kai born 11/8/05
    IVF#1: 8/04 - Ectopic
    IVF#2: 3/05 - BFP!
    IVF#3:12/07 - BFN!
    IUI Natural Cycle 3/08 - BFN!
    IVF#4 4/08: Blighted Ovum ;0(
    IVF #5 11/09 BFN (One frozen embryo left)
    Natural FET #1 One lil embryo - BFP! EDD May 3, 2011
    Scheduled C- Section - EDD Last week in April, 2011
    It's a Boy

dee32
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't get too upset because you don't know. I would though invest in a video monitor (that hopefully you can use also for your next one) and when you have her the next time mention what happened and hand her the monitor.
    Me 36 DH 40
    One Beautiful Baby Girl Born 10/4/05!!!! Melanie Anna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast