FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Feel Very Good Sharing The Holiday Spirit

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    dee32
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel Very Good Sharing The Holiday Spirit

I haven't done this in a very long time and don't know why. We have been a little tight money wise the past few years and even though we are not rolling in the dough and are saving for a house I just had to spread some holiday spirit. An email went around about 2 employee's that basically are facing some really rough times. One family in particular lost everything in a fire and the husband is not working right now. They have a 3 year old and a 18 month old so I took the rest of the money I had set aside for DD's stocking and another toy and bought each child 2 outfits, a pair of warm fuzzy pj's and a toy each.

I'm not posting this so I can hear how wonderful I am or anything becayse that isn't the point to this thread. Just posting to say how much joy I feel for doing this and how this year I really feel that I do have the holiday spirit and I just can't describe the warm fuzzy feeling I have inside and if you do get the chance (which I'm sure a lot of you guys do something similiar) do it. It makes you feel just so wonderful. Now if everyone in the world that could would just feel this way there would not be a child wanting or needing anything.
    Me 36 DH 40
    One Beautiful Baby Girl Born 10/4/05!!!! Melanie Anna

2. Advertisement

flagirl
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I think that is the true meaning of christmas. Helping others be happy too. I hope we can all do something similar to help out those who need it...
    Tina

Two precious girls -
    Anna (4/25/03) and Natalie (12/10/05).

Robyne
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a great thing to do. Oprah just had a show about how good it feels to "give to others". I want to do something too - just not sure what.
    Robyne

Kyra Riley (5/23/03) and Erin Mckenna (11/4/05)

Blondie8
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, doing something for someone else benefits both the giver and the receiver and there's nothing wrong with that. Ds will be so overwhelmed and probably disinterested with his embarassment of riches I think we could do with redirecting some of his stuff.

I think it's helpful if you know that the items will be put to good use. A couple of years ago our workplace stopped participating in a community Xmas drive after a few years of delivering boxes of food and toys to people that had bigger and better big ticket items than some of our staff!
    “Children don’t belong to us. They are litle strangers who arrive in our lives and give us the pleasure and duty of caring for them–but we don’t own them. We help them become who they are.” Gloria Steinem

Mrs.H
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know so many people who are without jobs this season. I'm thinking of being a secret elf for one family, so they can buy Christmas presents for their children.
    Monica

Claire, Lily, Tess

shannij
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes we have adopted someone or a family for the last 3 christmases. We have everything we need - we can want ALL day long. Not sure our families appreciated it because we told them we were not buying them anything either - They to have everything they want and I HATE shopping for mindless stuff. We adopted an elderly gentleman one year from an assisted living home our church supports and the simple things he asked for were heartbreaking but it gave us such joy getting them. We are absolutely doing something this year.
    Good post and I hope it gets everyone motivated
    me 40 dh 39
    tubal dx - 3 ectopics, '98 ivf#1 BFN- exdh,
    IVF 2004 - 24PN embryos all frozen(out of whack hormones)
    FET#1 BFN '04 - tube removed
    FET #2 BFP 10/06/05 Landon Scott
    FET#3 10/06 BFN
    FET#4 BFP 10/07/07 Harrison William
    FET#5 BFP 09/28/09 Brennan Rhys
    final FET#6 - will transfer 2 day 6 blasts (thawed and refrozen '09) Oct 2010 -

ReneeZA
    is South African
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    I love when I see another person helping people in need. Every Christmas we buy gifts and prepare a meal for an Aids orphanage. Just to see the joy on the little kids faces is pure bliss. It is so sad that these kids are orphaned with the terrible Aids epidemic.

We also do the same around DS birthday. If everyone thinks of another I am sure so many others can enjoy a little bit of happiness. Great thread
    Renee