FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Worried about 16 month old not talking

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Erin26
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Worried about 16 month old not talking

Hi -

I'm worried Nathan isn't talking to much yet. He says Da Da consistently. He will say All done, I did it, and Right there when he feels like it. That's about it. Otherwise we just get babble babble, usually with dada in there somewhere. He used to say Bye Bye ( his first words), but he won't say it any more. He won't say bath or ball or cookie - nothing. I've heard him say banana and dogie once. He will point to all body parts. He can point to pictures I name in book. He make a ton of animal noises or imitations (raise his arm like a trunk for elephant, pant like a dog, moos like a cow), signs probably 8-10 words, kick and throw a ball. He also has the leap frog letter factory video and will tell me what a F, H, M, P, S, T, V, and Z says. What's up???? Should I be worried? At he 15 month check up the doctor acted concerned.

Thanks!

Erin
    Stay at home mom to Nathan born 5.31.05
    Age 27, DH 27
    Cycle 6 -IVF BFP!!!! EDD 6/23
    Nathan James
    Born 5/31/05
    6lbs 10oz 19in

2. Advertisement

Mrs.H
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't worry. Each child has their own time table. Talk with your ped. if you're really concerned.
    Monica

Claire, Lily, Tess

sandra524
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My son was like that he is basically a quiet child, but in the space of a month he went from saying only mama and bye-bye to chatterbox. Children learn at their own time. Now he is 20 months and has a whole bunch of new words.
    Sandra
    I am 43, DH is 36
    C.J born 4/83 by c-section
    M.F Born 2-16-05 by c-section.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Mohandas K. Gandhi:

shannij
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    wouldn't worry at all. Is he active? Boys tend to talk later because they are so busy being active and learning other things. Mine babbles a lot and has never said dada.... He says lots of b's and m's... milk and bottles I think
    me 40 dh 39
    tubal dx - 3 ectopics, '98 ivf#1 BFN- exdh,
    IVF 2004 - 24PN embryos all frozen(out of whack hormones)
    FET#1 BFN '04 - tube removed
    FET #2 BFP 10/06/05 Landon Scott
    FET#3 10/06 BFN
    FET#4 BFP 10/07/07 Harrison William
    FET#5 BFP 09/28/09 Brennan Rhys
    final FET#6 - will transfer 2 day 6 blasts (thawed and refrozen '09) Oct 2010 -

Mommy2APrincess
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the others that I wouldn't worry! My nephew was like that. . . wouldn't say anything - then around 2 years he just started with sentences! I think boys take longer with some things (talking and potty training) than girls do - they're just lazier! I would only worry if he wasn't saying anything at all! I would try making him ask for things. . . when he points, don't go get it - tell him to "Tell mommy what you want!"

jadjard
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been worried about the same thing. But mine says less than yours does. My dd is 15 mo. and she says dad and mom. Sometimes it sounds like she says the dogs name and just yesterday she was saying hot. But that's it. We were worried too and asked at her pedi appt. They asked if she understands us and she does. She understands everything. Then they said she will get there in her own time. She has been babbling tons since she was so young. I thought she would be talking earlier. We have been telling her what things are before we give them to her since she was under 1 year. I guess she is just going to be one of those that are a little behind. Not much more we can do but wait.

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    They say 18 months a lot of kids have a language explosion. Maybe that will be your 16 month old in 2 months!!! DS only said a few words... not near the amount that he was supposed to be at 18 months I couldn't keep a list of the words he said. He is such a talker and conversationalist now. I would worry if he is not even babbling or not saying anything or not making eye contact. You said he babbles and he says a few words and he points to things so obviosly he understands stuff. The words will come.....
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

Erin26
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone! I've been feeling like I've been doing something wrong. I feel like I'm a bad mom sometimes because he's not talking. I will continue to name things and ask him what things are. That's about all I can do, I think. He's so funny. He knows how cute he is and when I say something like "Say cookie" before I give him his cookie, he'll try and kiss me instead of saying cookie. Today he picked up my cell phone and put it to his ear and said "hi." Of course he wouldn't do it again! KIDS!!!
    Age 27, DH 27
    Cycle 6 -IVF BFP!!!! EDD 6/23
    Nathan James
    Born 5/31/05
    6lbs 10oz 19in

ReneeZA
    is South African
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Erin

Nathan is perfectly fine. My DS just turned 19m and he went through the same pattern. He started saying words very early at 8 months (tiger, dog, da da, ma ma, Tessa, Duke, bye bye and at least 10 more) And then all of a sudden he stopped repeating lots of words. Its a stage they go through. They did not forget but just more busy with other stuff liking playing.

He will start again. But honestly I think he is fine and he is doing a lot of stuff that most 16m dont do. Pointing to all body parts, most kids do that around 18m. Pointing at pictures in books alaso comes later with most kids and your DS is doing all that now. Thats great. Just enjoy him and dont put too much pressure on him to repeat stuff. In a few months time you are going to get tired with all the questions.
    Renee

Lois
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    I wouldn't worry yet....R had very few until I think it was at 17months she suddenly added a bunch. Now if 6 months pass and it isn't much better, maybe time for an eval. My twins were speech delayed, got therapy from 25months to 3yrs old. They qualified for more but we made the choice to stop as R was about to arrive, etc. They've done great and are age equivalent (or better) now at five (well, by four I'd say). Right now R is saying as much as they said at 3 and she just turned two, and R's speech is much clearer also. There will be words they will say just once and not again for a long while, that's normal. HUGS>...
    Lois
    H&S, 10/01, IVF
    R, 10/04, Natural

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast