FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
question for 10/17

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mrs.H
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

question for 10/17

Thanks for helping make this board come alive.

What kind of community do you live in? Howdoes it complare to where you grew up?
    Monica

Claire, Lily, Tess

2. Advertisement

shannij
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol I came looking for the question today, the board is coming alive.
    I just moved homes 2 mths ago. We are in Atlanta and moved to a northern suburb. It seems very isolated at the moment because we don't know anyone in the area. We live on a street that has 3 houses and the 3rd is still being built. It is a very private street and there will be no sidewalks so I will have to get out of the house to make friends. We were disappointed to find that our neighbours are older and not interested in their new neighbours . We are officially in horse country if you can imagine Atlanta having big horse farms. Our home seems the middle of nowhere but with a 15 min car ride you have EVERYTHING. The country side is growing on me and maybe I need to learn to ride a horse (or Landon).
    Now when I was growing up I lived in Jamaica. My parents still live there and it is where i call "home". I lived in THE country there with no telephone my entire life , to socialize with my friends on the weekend was a TASK because of horrible transportation. My parents just moved into Kingston and now they have landlines, cellphones, dsl, satelite you name it its there. I loved growing up there. The school system is really "old" school. I went to an all girl Catholic high school (public schools are run by churches there) we wore uniforms, no jewelry, no make up etc. There was never any competition (that I noticed) to be in certain circles. I was probably the whitest girl there but never ever noticed. We NEVER dreamed of disrespecting our teachers and the thought of skipping school would make you break out in sweat. I appreciate the simple lifestyle there and this helps keep my American husband in check (he is the spender) even though I too have become spoilt by the standard of living here. I love going back to visit, certain things drive me NUTS there. Third world politics are awful, governments corruption is insane. The beaches remain beautiful, the people friendly and the lifestyle VERY laid back.
    me 40 dh 39
    tubal dx - 3 ectopics, '98 ivf#1 BFN- exdh,
    IVF 2004 - 24PN embryos all frozen(out of whack hormones)
    FET#1 BFN '04 - tube removed
    FET #2 BFP 10/06/05 Landon Scott
    FET#3 10/06 BFN
    FET#4 BFP 10/07/07 Harrison William
    FET#5 BFP 09/28/09 Brennan Rhys
    final FET#6 - will transfer 2 day 6 blasts (thawed and refrozen '09) Oct 2010 -

dee32
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well right now we rent a 2 bedroom condo in an area that was nice when we moved in but starting to go down hill and we are saving but NJ is very expensive to buy a house. Hopefully soon we will be able to get into a nice little home. I grew up (so did dh) in Union, NJ which unfortunately is going down a little now also. It was wonderful though. Very safe, great shopping, a ton of kids. We even had the #1 school system when I was in high school and had President Bush Sr. visit my senior class. The town was big into football and it was great. The street I grew up on was nice and quiet and split in front of my house to 2 streets with a park in the middle and there must of been 20 kids on my street all ages. We use to have block parties and regular games of kick ball, baseball and you name it. It was so much fun and I dreamt when I was young I would get married, have children and buy a home there but now no way. Who knows where we will wind up but at this point it will be somewhere that is best for Melanie even if we have to commute to work.
    Me 36 DH 40
    One Beautiful Baby Girl Born 10/4/05!!!! Melanie Anna

Mrs.H
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We live in a great city now. It's a place with a 4-H fair in the summer and parades and real sense of community. We have most of the shopping we need right here too. There is easy access to the expressway. We love all of the huge trees and historic homes. We also have a cute little downtown area.

I grew up in a suburb of a very large city. We were not at all what one would call the burbs today because we were right on the city limits. I loved growing-up there. We walked to school everyday and rode our bikes around the nieghborhoods. Now, it's not the safest area anymore. I'm glad I won't be raising my children there.
    Monica

Claire, Lily, Tess

jillgalindo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bored
    The house I live in I rent from my mom it's the house I grew up in. I love where I live I have nice neighbors and the street is getting more lively with kids again it's great. When I was growing up the whole street was families with kids and we were all friends and we all played together. When I moved back to the house 3 years ago I never saw 1 kid playing outside now within 2 years it's full again. I am so excited for Zoey to grow up there!!!! I am planning on buying the house from my mom in a few years.
    me 33 mommy to Zoey 4 years old
    TTC #1 02/01
    It's a girl Zoey Lee-Ann born 12/13/05 1:29am 6lbs8ozs

Robyne
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    We live in very small rural town (pop. 3000). We love it...there are a lot of small community events (i.e Halloween Parade, Santa coming to Town, Winter Carnival, Beach Party). We live in near a small lake too.

I grew up about 40 minutes where I currently live - a suburb with a pop. of over 20,000. I loved where I grew up - another great community.
    Robyne

Kyra Riley (5/23/03) and Erin Mckenna (11/4/05)

vmk15
    is trying to get motivated
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I grew up in Bayonne NJ which is small city outside of NYC. I enjoyed growing up there although I used to dream of the suburbs. We were very independent able to walk or take public transportation anywhere in town. Our parents didn't need to be taxi drivers. In highschool I was allowed to go into New York with my friends during the day. That was always great. I loved being so close. I worked in NY for years. Even lived in Queens for a bit.

When we got married we bought a house about 45 minutes south in Monmouth County. The houses in Northern Jersey were too expensive. We were there for 4 years and it was the suburbs. My husband's army fort where he worked is scheduled to close.

We have now relocated to Chesapeake VA. Boy I am in the suburbs now. With the money we made off our house in NJ we were able to get my 4 bedroom colonial I always dreamed of. Our community is very nice with a pool, parks, tennis court etc. This is something we could not even touch in NJ. I do like the area about 30 minutes from Virginia Beach and Norfolk and about an hour from the outer banks and williamsburg.

I do miss some aspects of city life like walking to the stores and mom and pop shops. Its all chains here. I don't think my children will be able to experience the independence I did. We do miss NYC there is nothing in the world like it.
    Veronica

Brian - 10/05
    I am 5 years old!

Sarah - 12/06
    I am 4 years old!

They keep me on my toes and make me smile.

TruBrit(2)
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    We live in a new small community of approx 45 single family homes (3-4y old) way out in the suburbs. Most homes have at least 1 or 2 kids under 5 - its madness - but just what we wanted.

I grew up on what was initially a council estate - with many people starting to buy their homes off the Government once Maggie Thatcher came in (I was about 7 or 8).
    blessed with IVF/ICSI miracle 12/05

Mommy2APrincess
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I rent my house from my mom, too. It's a townhouse, end unit, but was the sales office (model) so I have an addition with lots of ....... My mom bought this place when she and my dad divorced in 1995, she moved out in 1998 and me and my ex moved in. It was a small, nice neighborhood in 95 - but has since gone totally downhill (I refer to it as the ghetto). By time B starts school I will be moved out - I'm hoping to buy a place within the next couple years.

I grew up in a great house on a quiet street. All the kids were mine and my sisters age. . . we only moved because of the school district (it wasn't great, we moved to better). When we did we moved to a really awesome house - huge house with only 4 houses on the street with no one in front or behind us either! Unforunately we didn't get to stay long because my parents split.
    Jen
    Mommy to One Princess, Bianca, born March-2005
    Mommy to Two Princes, Carson & Aiden, born little fighters at 28w5d, still in the NICU

ReneeZA
    is South African
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Hi

I love reading everyones response. I grew up in South Africa and all my neighbours were my cousins (extended families). We were a group of about 20 kids and had a large mango orchard and we all played very well.

Currently living in Qatar in the Mideast. Its not too bad but I guess you have to get used to the way of life here.
    Renee