FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
How did you get rid of the bottle? Paci?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    shannij
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How did you get rid of the bottle? Paci?

This is like baby crack to ds. His first morning bottle is VERY important to the stability of our household . Today we have our 1 yr check and I will ask the dr. I did ask her about switching to whole milk and she said do what I felt comfortable doing. We had made it to bottles of whole milk a few weeks ago but he got sick and I switched back for the calories. He really doesn't care what is in the bottle as long as it is in a bottle. Will NOT drink from a sippy cup....LOL we tried putting first milk in a sippy cup in the morning - it was NOT pretty.
    I guess that being said I won't even touch the paci thing
    me 40 dh 39
    tubal dx - 3 ectopics, '98 ivf#1 BFN- exdh,
    IVF 2004 - 24PN embryos all frozen(out of whack hormones)
    FET#1 BFN '04 - tube removed
    FET #2 BFP 10/06/05 Landon Scott
    FET#3 10/06 BFN
    FET#4 BFP 10/07/07 Harrison William
    FET#5 BFP 09/28/09 Brennan Rhys
    final FET#6 - will transfer 2 day 6 blasts (thawed and refrozen '09) Oct 2010 -

2. Advertisement

ktal
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    HI there! You know, I wouldn't worry about getting him off the bottle right away. I let my first son wean himself and he did at about 14 months. I feel like if you take it away when it is still very important to them that it could hurt them (my brother bagan sucking his thumb because my mom took away the bottle at 10 months). Have you tried the sippy with the straw? My DS loves that one and he will drink lots from it. My DS will be one in a couple of weeks and he still wants a bottle before bed and when he gets up. Although he isn't finishing them, so I assume we will be done with bottles within the month. But, I am with you, tackle one thing at a time. I would do the bottle first and then later you can tackle the paci. They are just little people trying to adjust and I think that we need to remember that instead of trying to take everything away at once. Good luck. Oh, and my pedi gave me a great recommendation about bottles. Take away the ones that aren't before sleep time first. Save the sleep time ones for last. Maybe instead of a morning bottle, he can have breakfast right away.

Take care...
    Katherine (KT)
    3 yrs
    1 year

"Mothers of little boys work from SON up to SON down"

Mrs.H
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My girls never took bottles, so I can't help on that.

I leave the paci in the crib. The only time she gets it is for sleeping. That has worked really well for me. I know eventually she'll just give it up at sleep time too.
    Monica

Claire, Lily, Tess

jillgalindo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bored
    My dd never carries a bottle around or sleeps with a bottle. But she will only take milk in a bottle. I give her juice and water in a sippy cup and have since she was 4 months but tried milk and she practicely threw the cup at me. So right now only juice in a cup and milk in a bottle. I thought it would be easy to start weaning boy was I wrong.
    me 33 mommy to Zoey 4 years old
    TTC #1 02/01
    It's a girl Zoey Lee-Ann born 12/13/05 1:29am 6lbs8ozs

Mommy2APrincess
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    B had her last bottle at 14 months. I got a call from daycare that they suspected she had thrush - I took her to the pedi and they confirmed it and said it was from the bottle. After I left the office she never had another bottle again! She was used to going down with a bottle, and I just gave her a sippy with water - she did A LOT better than I would have ever guessed!

I would suggest trying several types of sippys too. Some people swear by the Nuby. . . B never liked that kind! There are so many kinds, you are bound to find a favorite.

I can't speak for the binky - at 19 months she still has. . . I'm hoping she'll wean herself (that will be really really hard!). It drives me nuts really! She refers to binky like a person! She will cry out, "I want binky!"
    Jen
    Mommy to One Princess, Bianca, born March-2005
    Mommy to Two Princes, Carson & Aiden, born little fighters at 28w5d, still in the NICU

CAKI
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I am very lucky..I guess...Rianna took to the sippy cup really well at abut 10 months...she gave up the bottle at 5 months (I nurse) and started again about 11 months, but won't take it anymore. Now she is either nursing or sippy, and she loves the one with the straw. Milk, juice, water...whatever, she takes it. Now I just have to work on the nursing...However, last night is the first time I didn't nurse her during the night.

SHe gave up her paci at about 4 months. SHe was given one in the NICU to help her with her suck reflex, but then she weaned herself early.

Good luck.
    Caki
    3 iui neg, 1 ivf neg, 1 ivf chemical
    PG by acupuncture and herbs
    EDD - 1/16/06

DD - Rianna Li Shu born Oct 8, 2005 25 weeks and a fighter! 1lb 11oz - 12 inches long!

flagirl
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You know my older dd just kind of gave it up on her own when she was 15 months old. If he is that attached - I wouldn't worry about weaning yet. But that is me. My older dd just gave up her paci and she was THREE!!! So I obviously am not real worried about those kinds of things. When we got rid of the paci we snipped the end off and she thought it "broke". I like that she was old enough to let us explain it to her and we talked about how she was too old for it. She did great. Natalie is a total paci addict too - couldn't care less for her bottle though. So I will let her have her paci till she is three. Good luck though - I know how hard these things are on the moms!! It stinks!
    Tina

Two precious girls -
    Anna (4/25/03) and Natalie (12/10/05).

dee32
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Melanie didn't care too much for her bottles and we actually introduced her to her first sippy at 5 1/2 months. I wouldn't sweat it too much. He will eventually stop. Now as for the paci goes it helps Melanie sleep thru the night for 11 or so hours and I am not taking that away from her till she is two. I enjoy my sleep too much.
    Me 36 DH 40
    One Beautiful Baby Girl Born 10/4/05!!!! Melanie Anna

sandra524
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is going to be tough for me. DS still take 2 bottle one in the morning and one at night, he won't take milk from a sippy cup, during the day he uses his sippy cup. The paci he uses it only for bed when I am around otherwise he will walk around with it all day if he can ( DH has no will power ).

I have no clue how to stop his bottle my DD stopped on her own. DS asks for his bottle at night.
    Sandra
    I am 43, DH is 36
    C.J born 4/83 by c-section
    M.F Born 2-16-05 by c-section.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Mohandas K. Gandhi: