FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Ice Cream

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    CAKI
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired

Ice Cream

Any idea of when you can give a baby ice cream? Of course now I have to come clean and say that Rianna has been having bites of our ice cream for the last month. Was just curious. She really likes it and it helps with her teething. I have also given her sips of my sonic slushee. I am so inundating her with junk food! BAD MOMMY! However, I don't want it to sound like I give her a big bowl, just a few little bites....
    Caki
    3 iui neg, 1 ivf neg, 1 ivf chemical
    PG by acupuncture and herbs
    EDD - 1/16/06

DD - Rianna Li Shu born Oct 8, 2005 25 weeks and a fighter! 1lb 11oz - 12 inches long!

2. Advertisement

dee32
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am another offender. Melanie even gets her own little bowl and literally will get a quarter of a small scoop and not often. I only give her vanilla and she has had it maybe 3 times so far. I did on a recommendation from other mothers get her sherbert for the teething which I gave her a few days in a row when she was teething really bad. She isn't into chewing on the teething toys and the sherbert really helped a lot.
    Me 36 DH 40
    One Beautiful Baby Girl Born 10/4/05!!!! Melanie Anna

joslynsmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my doctor says this...at 8-9 months is good to introduce some dairy, to prepare for the milk transition at a year...he also says that before 2, our children can eat fatty things and it's actually good for their brain devolopment! Soooo if you take both of my doctor's advice's...you're actually doing good for her! I give Joslyn tastes and bites of just about everything I have, that of course with discression...no hot wings just yet! I personally think it's great for our children to be very eclectic when it comes to foods. Portion control is what my doctor says is the cause of the obesity pandemic going on with the youth today. He say, and I quote..."There's nothing wrong with letting a child have chips or cookies or ice cream, if it's controlled, not a bag of chips, not 5 or 10 cookies, not a pint of ice cream" And I agree with him 100%. Portions are why I'm as big as I am! Ok, Sorry, kinda went off subject...but anyway...nothing wrong with giving her ice cream!

dee32
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree with portion control but to let kids have these things. In our house growing up there were no sweets or a soda or anything excepts for parties and holidays. We never had anything even chips or pretzels and I very thin growing up but as soon as I got older and could get this stuff I went out of control because we were denied and never learned portion control which is part of my weight problem today. I'm not saying stock the house with junk food and that's all you feed the child but don't deny like it's poison. My husband was very thin until recently where his metabolism slowed but still not heavy and he was always around that stuff so it wasn't a big deal to him. My plan is to have a few of the sweets incorporated with a ton of healthy foods and not make a big deal out of it but make sure she has a well balanced diet with a ton of healthy foods and show without making a big deal out of it portion control. I actually think when you don't have that stuff around your child you make them want it more. I see my friends who's parents bought cookies and ice cream and chips for snacks and they didn't and don't have a weight issue. Me and dh are also trying to diet and exercise and get the extra weight off because they learn by example and how can I promote healthy eating habits and living habits for my dd when we aren't doing it. I want her to see us eating healthy foods and loving them and being active and moving. Another issue I had was my parents got a divorce and a lot of my activities were cut for after school because my mom had to work so I was in the house a lot in front of the tv which didn't help much. Sorry I went on a rampage and totally went off the subject. My point is I won't deny but show limitations.
    Me 36 DH 40
    One Beautiful Baby Girl Born 10/4/05!!!! Melanie Anna

jillgalindo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bored
    I tried to give Zoey some ice cream but it just makes her throw up. Anything dairy makes her throw up. I know she's going to be a lactaid baby. My mom got her some of that oh baby yogurt and of course she threw up. But sherbert doesn't seem to bother her if I give her just a little.
    me 33 mommy to Zoey 4 years old
    TTC #1 02/01
    It's a girl Zoey Lee-Ann born 12/13/05 1:29am 6lbs8ozs

kmommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kai got sick on the "yo baby" yogurt as well, and I haven't tried it again since. He's had foods that contain milk, so hopefully it was just a fluke.
    me (38), dh (38)
    K - age 5
    C - age 3

CAKI
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Rianna does very well with yogurt....we tried the yo baby as well...she doesn't like it as well as big people yogurt though.
    Caki
    3 iui neg, 1 ivf neg, 1 ivf chemical
    PG by acupuncture and herbs
    EDD - 1/16/06

DD - Rianna Li Shu born Oct 8, 2005 25 weeks and a fighter! 1lb 11oz - 12 inches long!

EriMichelle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have also been giving little tastes of vanilla ice cream - in fact, he had some just a few hours ago while we were out at dinner.

Kai also loves the yobaby yogurt. So far so good with the milk. I will keep my fingers crossed
    me-Erin dh-Brian ds-Kai born 11/8/05
    IVF#1: 8/04 - Ectopic
    IVF#2: 3/05 - BFP!
    IVF#3:12/07 - BFN!
    IUI Natural Cycle 3/08 - BFN!
    IVF#4 4/08: Blighted Ovum ;0(
    IVF #5 11/09 BFN (One frozen embryo left)
    Natural FET #1 One lil embryo - BFP! EDD May 3, 2011
    Scheduled C- Section - EDD Last week in April, 2011
    It's a Boy

ktal
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our little guy loves the yo baby yogurt. I have given him tastes of ice cream, although not lately because those are "off limits" in our house right now because I am seriously dieting to try to get this weight off! I am happy to say that in the last two weeks I have lost 5 pounds! Now 10 more to go! Anyway, that was really off topic, but hey...I had to share with people that appreciate this!
    Katherine (KT)
    3 yrs
    1 year

"Mothers of little boys work from SON up to SON down"