FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
9 Month Check-up/food Questions

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    bhob1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

9 Month Check-up/food Questions

Abby had her 9 month check-up this week.

She is 29 inches long (90th%) and 17 pounds 11 ounces (25th%). She has consistenly been in the 50th% for weight in the past and I just hope she is going down a little b/c of how active she is.

She happened to have a stomach bug and has not been eating very well for the past week of so. The doctor said a virus is going around.

When I can get her to eat better, I really need to get her to try more table foods. So far she has Gerber puffs and cheerios but has turned her nose up to cut up banana and cheese. She will sometimes eat a cracker or two. Any suggestions for good starter foods for her? Should I really be pushing it or should I concentrate on getting her cereal and baby food in her? Oh, she doesn't seem to like most of the Stage 3 foods either...

TIA - Bridget
    Abby 10/17/05

2. Advertisement

joslynsmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy cow. 29 inches. What a tall little one you must have

EriMichelle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bridget - I was in the same boat - what the heck do you feed them? I went to a website and this is what they suggested (so far it is working -he likes most of it):

peas - break the shells (these were a hit)
    mashed potatoes
    yam or sweet potato
    Graduate chicken sticks - (he loves these!)
    cream of wheat or regular oatmeal, malt-o-meal
    soft cooked carrots
    wheat toast with a little butter or margarine

I just started Kai on this - I made a little buffet and he was in heaven. I still gave him rice cereal mixed with a vegetable and then tried the chicken sticks (I broke it up and fed small pieces to him) and peas and pieces of banana. He seemed to really be enjoying it.

Good luck and keep us posted - the main thing is to make sure they are eating - you don't have to push solids too much but if you introduce different textures and tastes early they will sometimes be less of a picky eater.

~E
    me-Erin dh-Brian ds-Kai born 11/8/05
    IVF#1: 8/04 - Ectopic
    IVF#2: 3/05 - BFP!
    IVF#3:12/07 - BFN!
    IUI Natural Cycle 3/08 - BFN!
    IVF#4 4/08: Blighted Ovum ;0(
    IVF #5 11/09 BFN (One frozen embryo left)
    Natural FET #1 One lil embryo - BFP! EDD May 3, 2011
    Scheduled C- Section - EDD Last week in April, 2011
    It's a Boy

CAKI
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    My 9 month old is getting to where she doesn't like baby food and wants big people food all the time she has been eating:

peaches
    avacado
    kiwi
    peas
    mashed potatoes and sweet potatoe
    squash
    Kix Cereal is a good one
    graham cracker sticks...the sticks are easy to hold
    spaghetti
    yogurt
    bread

And I the other day I gave her some pretzel and and a little taste of Cherry Icee...and Dh has given her ice cream! We have been giving her all new kinds of experiences!
    Caki
    3 iui neg, 1 ivf neg, 1 ivf chemical
    PG by acupuncture and herbs
    EDD - 1/16/06

DD - Rianna Li Shu born Oct 8, 2005 25 weeks and a fighter! 1lb 11oz - 12 inches long!

Mommy2APrincess
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When I took B for her 9 month appt. the pedi told me to start her on 3 solid meals a day in preparation of giving up the bottle. She was never big on baby food - but when she got 'big girl' food - look out!!

Some of her favorite firsts were mac & cheese (cut up teeny tiny), broccoli!, egg (I think it's just the whites at 9 months?) with toast, mashed potatoes (gravy is a bonus), baked chicken, any of the chef boyardee meals (i.e., raviolo, beefaroni).

Different textures and variety are key.

Good luck!
    Jen
    Mommy to One Princess, Bianca, born March-2005
    Mommy to Two Princes, Carson & Aiden, born little fighters at 28w5d, still in the NICU