FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Are the Holidays a stressful time in your relationship?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Erica J.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are the Holidays a stressful time in your relationship?

The Holidays tend to get so busy and stressful that I was wondering if you and your SO's get along better during this time or if you find it harder to get along then normal?

Dh and I use to get into arguements during the Holidays. It never failed. One thing or another would happen and I am not the type of person who cnnot get into a fight and then put on that happy smile and act. It just does not work for me. After having the boys though, the Holidays changed and became such a happy time that we didn't argue during these times anymore.As a matter of fact dh has gotten a bit Jolly in his years. Where as he use to be THEE Scrooge of the season.

2. Advertisement

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think the holidays are hard when you are ttc and before kids. I think it's a hard time of year just because. All my shopping is done... with the exception of one elusive toy. I want to enjoy and relax. I feel like we just got over Halloween, Thanksgiving is around the corner, then Christmas, and yep, Mardi Gras ball in December and January!
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

angeleyes2blue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    holidays wouldn't be stressful if money weren't involved. i'm as frugal as they come and want to get a few things for my boys for christmas, but dh thinks we should literally spend nothing. we were clearly raised differently . i've finally learned that just because he has a strong opinion, doesn't mean that mine doesn't matter. we are getting along better this season so far. hopefully we'll come to some agreement about gifting soon.
    Me 28 & DH 30 Married 8/8/02
    Mom to Trey - 11/29/07
    My Family Blog

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Aww... Christmas is for kids... they all need something fun. I think you could go to a Garage Sale, or Thrift shop, or Craig's List and find something for not too much. Did your DH grow up not getting much for Chrismtas and that's why he has that opinion?
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

angeleyes2blue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, DHs dad is a scrooge, but they never had a Christmas without tons of toys. I think this is DHs way of telling me that we're broke and passing the blame on to me. We discussed budget yesterday and it wasn't as bad as he thought. I did some Black Friday shopping today and got some smokin' deals for DS!
    Me 28 & DH 30 Married 8/8/02
    Mom to Trey - 11/29/07
    My Family Blog

Alexismith
    surrounded by boxes again
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused
    if theres tension around the holidays its financial.... this year is tight..new baby, new house, one income and a bad economy...what can i say... each night we are thankful that our creditors hold off and count our blessings as we are better off than alot of people...its only till tax time anyway... other than that we love the holidays and they bring us closer together

It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good-humour. 'A Christmas Carol'.

BC-NanceLee
    is the chirpy moderator of the Over 35 Board
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    The only stress is Vini wishing his whole family could be together - and safe - under one roof. Last year his mom was with us for the first time so that was awesome. This year she is with two of his brothers in Philly so that will make him sad. Also, two of his brothers in the States are in danger of having to leave (of five brothers, four are here and of the four who are here, only two are citizens) which is also really stressing him out right now. He wants to help them but we have no legal way of doing so. They will have to return to Ecuador for up to 10 years to come back in as a sponsored relative of ours and be able to apply for residency.
    If you have any questions about your fertility treatment or doctor, the Patient Care Advocates may be able to help.

Me fifty-freakin' eight! DH 38, Max 25, Cole 20
    The only choice in life is love vs. fear. I choose love. ALWAYS.

Change is inevitable, growth is intentional. - Unknown