FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Animal lovers I need your suggestions! Updated with pics I promised!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    armywfe06
    loving life!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Worried

Animal lovers I need your suggestions! Updated with pics I promised!

Well I am now a first time foster mommy to a kitten. I signed up to be a foster parent at the local no kill shelter and they gave me my first charge today. Thing is, I really didn't receive much guidance. This little guy is about 4 days old, eyes still sealed shut and all. Cute as a button though! So here is what I was told, feed every 2 1/2 hours, rub with warm wet cloth to stimulate bowels ( does that well!) burp after feeding, keep warm. That is about it. So when he eats it is only for about 5 seconds. I have tried to burp him but either he is not doing it or I can not hear him, so I hope I am not doing it wrong. I have him in a crate with a heating pad set on low with a blanket over the pad. So am I missing anything? Oh the lady said to add a little karo syrup to the formula before I give it to him. I also warm the formula up a bit in warm water. Man I think I got myself in trouble lol!

Update: First one is Tumbleweed my new kitty (shelter named him). Then I thought I would add my other babies. My cat Snickers, she came from the same shelter I am fostering for. Third is my yorkie Agi, we bought him while we were living in Korea last year (agi means baby in Korean) Anyone else want to share?
    Last edited by armywfe06; 03-13-2009 at 08:18 PM.

2. Advertisement

BC-NanceLee
    is the chirpy moderator of the Over 35 Board
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Aww! I am deathly allergic to cats so can't say I have been in your shoes, but this looks like a good resource.

http://cats.suite101.com/article.cfm...ewborn_kittens

Have fun! I loved when my PJ was a tiny puppy. They worm their way into your heart real fast!
    If you have any questions about your fertility treatment or doctor, the Patient Care Advocates may be able to help.

Me fifty-freakin' eight! DH 38, Max 25, Cole 20
    The only choice in life is love vs. fear. I choose love. ALWAYS.

Change is inevitable, growth is intentional. - Unknown

Erica J.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure but that sounds good. I have two cats but both are fixed so no babies here. Maybe try feeding alittle more often if she is only eating for a second or two at a time. Good luck. Post some pics of your ward .

armywfe06
    loving life!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Worried
    Thanks Nance I will take a look at that link. I would hate to be allergic to any animal I love them all so much!

Erica I will post some pics later tonight, DH has the camera right now. I think it's going to be a long night feeding him so often. DH has a 24 hour shift tonight too so I am gonna be flying solo. I think I must be crazy lol.

BC-NanceLee
    is the chirpy moderator of the Over 35 Board
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    What cuties! And you have beautiful fingernails - I am jealous!

Here is PJ. He is half chihuahua, half rat terrier. We were about to go for a winter walk.
    If you have any questions about your fertility treatment or doctor, the Patient Care Advocates may be able to help.

Me fifty-freakin' eight! DH 38, Max 25, Cole 20
    The only choice in life is love vs. fear. I choose love. ALWAYS.

Change is inevitable, growth is intentional. - Unknown

armywfe06
    loving life!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Worried
    Oh he is a doll! My dog has a vest really similar to that one lol.
    Ironically I broke one of my nails last night grr. All the way to the quick to that is the worst!