FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Fertility After Treatment

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    asdas209
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Fertility After Treatment

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has pregnancy success after the male in the relationship had undergone cancer treatment, requiring harsh treatments like chemo or bone marrow transplants ? My husband received a 0 sperm count on his SA and he had total body irradiation for a bone marrow transplant when he was younger. I'm not sure if this will prevent him permanently from having kids given that his germ cells may have been deeply affected by the treatment.

2. Advertisement

SC-Impatient_in_VA
    *ments* Baby pic in album
    Site Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Hi asdas209,

I have heard a few cases where sperm was successfully retrieved from inside the body, but very very VERY few cases where it resulted in a healthy pregnancy. If you are seeing an RE (reproductive endocrinologist) he or she can refer you to whatever doctor they normally trust to perform specialized tests like MESA or TESE (these acronyms stand for sperm extraction via needle from other areas within the male reproductive system - the testes, the vas deferens, etc.), and that doctor will be able to tell you more.

Alternately, if you aren't seeing an RE at this time or are just curious, your husband can pursue this line of questioning with his own doctors, though it is doubtful that any of them will perform the procedure just to see what they can find - it's painful and probably not cheap.

Good luck!

https://www.oncolink.org/support/sex...ncer-treatment
    Last edited by SC-Impatient_in_VA; 11-02-2016 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typo

Ririand
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello.
    It was necessary to take the sperm for storage before chemotherapy.
    After chemotherapy, men in 90% of cases become infertile. Since sperm are very sensitive to chemotherapy and radiation. And before chemotherapy, doctors ask a married couple (husband) to give sperm for storage in cryobank. Therefore, when a couple wants to have children, problems do not arise. They will do IVF using the husband's sperm.
    Sperm in cryobank can be preserved at -180 degrees and it can be stored for a very long time. But, the medicine is developing and you can try a new technique. Your husband gives sperm and the doctors still find (under the microscope) one normal spermatozoon and this is transplanted to you. But, I would like to share with you the information I just read. American scientists have found a way that helps restore fertility even in boys who have undergone chemotherapy before entering the puberty. To do this, they used spermatogonia - stem cells located in the testes. When the spermatogonia matures, spermatozoa are transformed. These stem cells appear in the reproductive glands of the fetus during embryonic development and are constantly updated throughout life. And also you can use donor sperm if your husband does not deny it. When we were in the clinic, we met with one couple. They as well as we arrived there for surrogacy. But, they also needed a sperm donor. If you are interested in the details, then you can write me in pm.

swiftmood
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I fully agree with Ririand
    ME - 36, DH - 45
    IVF #1 - 2017, BFN, no implantation
    IVF #2 - 2017, BFN
    changed clinics, 1st consulting - Gdansk, Poland