FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Male Factor Success Stories

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    WantingOur1st
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Dead
    hi, this is a wonderful story and congratulations. i always wonder how low the sperm count is with people, my husband's is less than 1 million right now. we see a urologist next month which will be very scary.....

2. Advertisement

LeahBeth
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Worried
    Impatient- I am so happy for you both, I remember your words of encouragement when this all started and am happy to report that I now have a success story of my own. There aren't many on here and I hope this post continues to grow.

One day my husband was complaining of testicular pain. He went to his primary who ordered an US and the report said testictular mass. We took his US to a urologist who said he would order tumor markers but ultimately the testicle would still have to come even if they were negative because there is one type of cancer that doesn't have a tumor marker. We started crying because we were yet to start our family. He told us to go bank sperm and prepare for the possibility of surgery.

That we did, only there were no sperm to bank. There was ONE sperm. It was malformed and nonmotile. The RE sent us to a reproductive urologist who 1st checked an MRI of the testicles. There was no mass. The US had a shadow on it and we would have removed a testicle for no reason. Now there was only the infertility issue to deal with. DH had bilateral varicoceles that needed to be repaired. We were hopeful this would restore normal blood flow back to the testicles allowing for sperm production. We were told to recheck the SA 3 months after surgery. We bought our champagne and prepared for a celebration, only there was nothing to celebrate. Still left with complete azospermia, we were devastated again.

The reproductive urologist did have some good news for us. Out of all of the types of NOA, DH had the best prognosis. We had our RE coordinate DH's surgery with my IVF cycle. DH would now have to undergo TESE. It is a search and seizure for sperm! They dissect viable tissue from the testicle and search under a microscope for the earliest form of sperm.

I started my IVF cycle and scheduled my egg retrieval the day of DHs surgery. We would not be moving forward if no sperm were located. I sat there with my husband who was still sedated (Thank God). Three hours after his sugery the nurse came in, pumped her fist in the air, and said "get naked". The most beautiful thing I had ever heard! I had my retrieval and the process was underway.

I ended up with 6 embryos...2 grade A, 2 grade B, and 2 very poor quality. The 2 best would be transferred and unfortunately the other 4, not being good enough to freeze, would be discarded.

After a very complicated pregnancy and preterm delivery (31w6d), I am delighted to say that I have 2 healthy little boys, one of which is milk drunk passed out accross my belly while I type.

To all of you struggling,

Even in the most unlikely scenario, there is still hope. I pray you all get what you want.

G36
    I'm baaaaack
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    @leahbeth and all the other lovely ladies that shared your stories, THANK YOU!!

As most of you know, we are dealing with severe MF after testicular cancer. We have moved on to donor sperm but I'm extremely positive (almost giddy) as I feel like we're starting all over again... But without the known obstacles.

Thanks again for providing so many with hope!!
    TTC since 2001
    DH: 46, cancer survivor
    ME: 36, hashimotos
    IFV / ICSI #1- BFN
    IVF / ICSI #2- Ectopic
    IVF / ICSI #3- M/C
    IVF / ICSI #4 - BFN.
    FET #1 - BFN
    IVF #5 - feb 2013 (Donor sperm) - BFN
    FET #2 - May 2013 - BFN (DS found to be defective)
    IVF #6 - New RE - freeze all. FET 5/2015 -BFP -twins, great heartbeats but MC@7.5 weeks.
    FET #4 - 10/2015 - BFP -awaiting beta

G36
    I'm baaaaack
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    .... And last bcp is tomorrow. May I never have to endure that nasty pill again!
    TTC since 2001
    IFV / ICSI #1- BFN
    IVF / ICSI #2- Ectopic
    IVF / ICSI #3- M/C
    IVF / ICSI #4 - BFN.
    FET #1 - BFN
    IVF #6 - New RE - freeze all. FET 5/2015 -BFP -twins, great heartbeats but MC@7.5 weeks.

WantingOur1st
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by LeahBeth View Post
    Impatient- I am so happy for you both, I remember your words of encouragement when this all started and am happy to report that I now have a success story of my own. There aren't many on here and I hope this post continues to grow.

One day my husband was complaining of testicular pain. He went to his primary who ordered an US and the report said testictular mass. We took his US to a urologist who said he would order tumor markers but ultimately the testicle would still have to come even if they were negative because there is one type of cancer that doesn't have a tumor marker. We started crying because we were yet to start our family. He told us to go bank sperm and prepare for the possibility of surgery.

That we did, only there were no sperm to bank. There was ONE sperm. It was malformed and nonmotile. The RE sent us to a reproductive urologist who 1st checked an MRI of the testicles. There was no mass. The US had a shadow on it and we would have removed a testicle for no reason. Now there was only the infertility issue to deal with. DH had bilateral varicoceles that needed to be repaired. We were hopeful this would restore normal blood flow back to the testicles allowing for sperm production. We were told to recheck the SA 3 months after surgery. We bought our champagne and prepared for a celebration, only there was nothing to celebrate. Still left with complete azospermia, we were devastated again.

The reproductive urologist did have some good news for us. Out of all of the types of NOA, DH had the best prognosis. We had our RE coordinate DH's surgery with my IVF cycle. DH would now have to undergo TESE. It is a search and seizure for sperm! They dissect viable tissue from the testicle and search under a microscope for the earliest form of sperm.

I started my IVF cycle and scheduled my egg retrieval the day of DHs surgery. We would not be moving forward if no sperm were located. I sat there with my husband who was still sedated (Thank God). Three hours after his sugery the nurse came in, pumped her fist in the air, and said "get naked". The most beautiful thing I had ever heard! I had my retrieval and the process was underway.

I ended up with 6 embryos...2 grade A, 2 grade B, and 2 very poor quality. The 2 best would be transferred and unfortunately the other 4, not being good enough to freeze, would be discarded.

After a very complicated pregnancy and preterm delivery (31w6d), I am delighted to say that I have 2 healthy little boys, one of which is milk drunk passed out accross my belly while I type.

To all of you struggling,

Even in the most unlikely scenario, there is still hope. I pray you all get what you want.

Thank you for taking the time to post your story and i am so happy for you!!!

To the other women using donor sperm, i don't know the details of your situation but have you looked into TESE to retrieve sperm from the testicles? i'm sure you have.

G36
    I'm baaaaack
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    @ waiting - we've tried everything over the last 15 years but we knew it was going to be a struggle after chemo / radiation. The fun never ends. I'm very optimist about round 6!!
    TTC since 2001
    IFV / ICSI #1- BFN
    IVF / ICSI #2- Ectopic
    IVF / ICSI #3- M/C
    IVF / ICSI #4 - BFN.
    FET #1 - BFN

WantingOur1st
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Dead
    hi, i can't imagine what all the 5 ivfs and everything else has been like. i've had a tough enough time as it is, i suppose it comes down to my age come to think of it, as time is running out. i wish the best for you and know it'll work! the most important thing is you did everything you could up til now and now, it should pay off and work for you both.

G36
    I'm baaaaack
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    @ waiting - many thanks. I look forward to responding to this thread, with yet another success story! Fingers crossed for you, too!
    TTC since 2001
    IFV / ICSI #1- BFN
    IVF / ICSI #2- Ectopic
    IVF / ICSI #3- M/C
    IVF / ICSI #4 - BFN.
    FET #1 - BFN
    Likes charla1985 liked this post

SHEAGIRL
    is on Cloud 9!

Post Thanks / Like
    I NEVER EVER thought I would be posting a success story on this board, but here goes.... First off, my DH was diagnosed with NOA over 2 years ago after 3 SA's came back with a zero sperm count. A testicular biopsy revealed there was no sperm production whatsoever. DH's urologist said if we did a micro-TESE(which costs upwards of $40K) we had a 30% chance of finding mature sperm somewhere in there (like searching for a needle in a haystack). The doc said donor sperm or adoption were probably the only routes to parenthood for us. We had read that the drug Clomid can help improve men's sperm counts, and so my husband asked if he could try it. The doctor wrote out the prescription but said it was highly unlikely to do anything for him, but he said, "Stranger things have happened."

Fast forward 5-6 months....my husband went in for a routine SA and guess what? They found sperm! Just a few sperm, but we were beyond thrilled! Now we were candidates for IVF/ICSI. A year later, after finding a fertility clinic we liked and saving up thousands of dollars and taking out a loan, we were ready to proceed with IVF. We got another bit of bad news right away...my AMH level was low, which suggested that my ovarian reserve (number of eggs) was starting to decline, even though I was only 30 at the time. The RE said that based on this low AMH level, we should expect to only retrieve 5-7 eggs. Well, we ended up retrieving 9! Out of those 9 eggs, 8 fertilized and made it to 5-day blastocyst stage. We transferred one embryo (because I was scared of the risk of a multiple pregnancy) and froze the other 7 embies. Sadly, it didn't work. Several months later, we did a frozen embryo transfer, again just transferring one embryo. It worked! I am now almost 8 weeks pregnant and so happy! We saw the baby's heartbeat about a week ago and DH and I both had tears in our eyes as we saw the little flickering white blob on the ultrasound. Miracles do happen. I am living proof of that! Even though my DH was given almost the worst possible news a guy could ever receive about his fertility, with a lot of prayers, perseverance and doctor's appointments, we are now on our way to making our dreams come true! I pray every day for couples like us who are struggling with the despair and heartache of infertility.

BrazilianGuy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    hey guys,

I wrote about how I found out last year that I had problems with my Varicocele, and how I had Microsurgery to fix it on October 17 2013.

Well i am here to share with you guys that we have been trying to conceive since my surgery, and last night we took 2 pregnancy tests with both being positive, so today we went for the blood test and her Beta-HCG is 652,70 whitch means that WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A BABY!!!!!!

she is only 2 to 3 weeks pregnant, but we are SO EXCITED that we could conceive less than 4 months after my varicelectomy.

My advise to all the guys with doubs about doing surgery or not. Dont let your fear stop you and your wife from being truly happy.

God bless US all friends, best wishes to you and your families!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast