FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Anyone unexplained low sperm count?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ICSIorBust
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone unexplained low sperm count?

Hi everyone! I'm new here and frustrated. My name is Leann and I'm 24. DH(26) has a sperm count of only 1 million. He's been through all the tests and everything came back normal. We're at a standstill in treatment right now because we're not ready (or financially able) to proceed to ICSI, but aren't quite sure about using a donor, and there is no other option. DH has just been prescribed Clomid. Why do they even bother?? Has Clomid actually ever increased sperm count? I really think a doctor should be able to find a cause for his low count, there's GOT to be a reason.

2. Advertisement

massagetoad
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep trying...m/c ment.

I'm in the same boat with my DH. No reason for low count, etc.
    So we are onto saving up for ICSI. Don't stop trying the natural method as we did have 1 pregnancy that ended in m/c while we are trying to save. There is that like 1-2% chance it could happen. Good luck and hope your dreams come true.

poppan
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about the clomid, but since you are at a standstill now anyway, wouldn't hurt to do the following:

- follow a healthy diet with lean proteins (turkey, chicken, fish, tofu), a variety of vegetables, whole grains
    - cut out alcohol, caffeine, refined sugars
    - no smoking and no drugs
    - take a multivitamin and a supplement like Fertility Blend for Men
    - no heat to the groin area -- no hot baths or hot tubs, no laptops on the lap, etc.
    - moderate exercise program

Try it for four months and see if there is any improvement. Can't hurt, might help. If he can't do it all, at least take the supplements and avoid heat to the groin and do as much as he on the rest (even if only cutting back instead of cutting out, etc.).

bebeblues
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend reading some of the other threads in the male factor forum, where women describe the types of vitamins their DHs are on and the improvement they've seen, but chances are, you'll have to do ICSI. We did even though I wanted to just do IUI, but there is no other alternative. Evene though we're doing ICSI, my DH is on Mega Men (2) from GNC and also 1 g L-arginine/ day. Also, make sure you are under the care of an RE-OB-GYNs sometimes prescribe things that just prolong the inevitable.
    Good luck with ICSI it can and does work!!!!!
    Bebe

belle3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

pg ment

ICSIorbust....
    i was in your boat about 3 years ago. Dh started with 2 million on our first SA and it would fluctuate. 2 million was our highest count ever...our lowest was 100,000 which is just .01million thats the 1% on our own!
    He too took all the tests and everything was "fine". So feeling like we had no choice...we did ICSI. It failed
    Then we took a year off to save for another cycle.

Meanwhile we tried everything:
    *acupuncture
    *fertility blend, l-argenine, multivitamin
    *exercise
    *added meat to our vegetarian diets
    *put a pillow underneath my hips after EVERY sexual encounter we had...and layed there for at least 30 minutes

Then 1 month before we were going to purchase 3 more cycles...we found out we were pg! Naturally! Shock of my life! I am 8 months pg now and though i will never know what it was that did it...i am grateful for everyday this baby is in me.

So there IS hope! Im not saying "just keep trying...it'll happen" because we all know what its like to hear that... but i am saying it CAN happen, and while you are in between treatments or decisions, doing any of these things cant hurt. It would make me feel as if i was "doing something" and not just counting my cycling days. That made me crazy.

Best of luck and stay positive because IF is a DIFFICULT thing to go through!

JERON
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the same circle, DH has unexplained low Sperm count. We've had one icsi which failed. On the lane to another at the moment however not loosing hope on natural cycle. We've got all the supplement you can think of at the moment and will also soon be adding honey and cinnamon. We are not giving up hope on natural cycle and we do belief that will happen.

Goodluck.

ICSIorBust
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your support. DH did take Fertility Blend for the three months in between SAs, but no increase in count whatsoever. It did improve motility A LOT, from 32% to 62%. Morph went from 10% to 12%. DH's mom actually offered to give us $5000, which would be enough for one split egg donation cycle, but I'm just not sure I can go through with it. I'm scared I won't be able to cope with a failed cycle. We decided not to get him the clomid. It's not covered by insurance at all, and it's $80/month. With no track record of success, that's a BIG waste of money to me.