FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
SA question - morphology

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    spacemama
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

SA question - morphology

does anyone know how good 5% is on the kruger scale for morphology? if all of the other numbers are normal and above the minimum, what are the chances of me getting pregnant with 5% morphology?

i am confused because we got this SA done just to see if everything was OK before we really started trying. 95% abnormal sperm doesnt seem too good. should we be seeing a RE for this? HELP!!!

2. Advertisement

rb
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spacemama,

It is probably a good idea to see an RE and a urologist anyway, but the lab that I have had my SAs done at consider anything above 4% on the strict Kruger scale to be a good prognosis. This is the lab for the Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine, which is one of the top clinics in the world, so I assume they know what they are talking about. Hope this helps.

-rb

poppan
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the Kruger scale 14% is considered "normal" -- i.e. a male with totally normal fertility would still only score 14% or higher. So 5% is not nearly as bad as it sounds.

Most REs seem to agree that with 5% or higher that is still enough to attempt IUI (of course they would need to look at the other results of the SA as well, such as overall count, motility, etc. -- if these other parameters are low then it may not be enough for IUI). 4% or lower morphology usually gets you recommended IVF with ICSI.

thunderbird
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    5% can try IUI, but you should probably check with an RE -I heard over 4% is all right for IUI. My DH has 2% normal so it's gotta be IVF with ICSI.

clomidaddict
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have 7% normal, but our motility and count are good, so the RE is having us do IUI's. However, we found out at our first IUI that DH's semen has an extremely high viscosity and the lab had to wash it 3 times instead of 2, which washed away even more of the good ones. They said that the sperms would never have been able to get themselves out of the semen, so the IUI or IVF is the only way.

bianca808
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    BC- i'm knew to the boards. i'm kind of in the same situation as you...my DH has low morph @1% and i have pcos. my re suggested that we go straight to ifv/icsi which ended up as bfn. the re told us that doing an iui wouldn't give us a success rate at all. i'm glad you had 2 success stories...