FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Varicocelectomy Survivors

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    futuredaddy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Varicocelectomy Survivors

I had a varicocelectomy preformed last friday...yes, that was Friday the 13th of October. Not a lucky day (to some) but hopefully it will be a lucky day for me and my wife. I started this thread to talk to others who had also made it through this operation. The recovery period seems to be a little...uhh, sensationalized doesn't it? people were making it sound like I could go back to work after two days, so I had my schedule ready for me to return to work the following Monday only to find that I still needed help to the bathroom on Monday! I'm at day five right now...and I finally think I may be able to go back to work.

2. Advertisement

futuredaddy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to go back to work last night (big mistake) I was sick all night and went home early. I had trouble walking due to swelling, a large amount of discomfort because of testi sensitivity and mondo-pain above the groin (below the stomach).

For those that are curious as to the cost of a varicocelectomy I have planned to go over the bills and post on here the total charges for everything (as we have no insurance and have paid everything cash...or should I say "credit").

Normally I could have waited on the operation until things were more financially organized (and say, we had medical coverage). But, life doesn't always work out that way *shrugs*. Turns out I also had an epididymal cyst (along with the varicocele) and an infection (which was causing a lot pain). All of these things were fitting tightly into my package to create a family jewel that was playing hard-ball with my, well...you get the picture.

in the begining...
    To start let me just advise that my wife is a medical transcriptionist so she is somewhat familiar with medical conditions. She suspected (after inspection of the materials in question) that I may have a varicocele along with an infection which may be causing the pain. Either way, we first went to a urgent care facility which charged us 115.00 to tell us that we needed to see a urologist. the urologist's office nurse wouldn't slide open her glass window & pretent to be nice until we slid 285.00 thru the opening of her annoying window, watched her gobble it up in a shredder like cash drawer and then give her the "we're SO sorry to have bothered you, your highness" look. Next, we didn't get to see the "actual" urologist...instead we saw his P.A.C. (okay, I understand that P is for Physician and A is for Assistant...but what is the C for? Doesn't it classically stand for "Cookie"?). The PAC thought the whole thing was hilarious, aparently mine is the first and only crotch in distress he's ever seen...this is of course based on the light-hearted penis/sack jokes he cracked at me. He through a percription at me for pain & antibiotics and told me I needed to get tests done.

Next, we had a complete semen analysis test done for 81.50 and an ultrasound for 435.00. We went back to the urologist's office to get stuck with the same PAC guy again. He cracked more jokes only this time he was armed with my semen count (which was an embarrassing 0.8). So after suffering through his screen of tasteless ragging on the most sensitive thing I own...I limped away from his office still wincing in pain from my unreconciled gental discomfort.

Finally he scheduled a surgery for a varicocelectomy because the infection had been cleared up from the antibiotics.

I have to check my records for the final prices but I will add those on here so you have an idea of how much it costs.

LSteele
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a horrible experience all around...I certainly hope the surgery does the trick!
    Laura, mom to Ryan, 8/25/01

Sandra16m
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow! I just wanted to say, my husband had the same surgery in April and he could barely move for a week. The recovery time is much longer then they tell you. Even after being home for a week, when he returned to work, he was a bit uncomfortable for a while. Good luck to you!!!

futuredaddy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone for being so kind. I don't mean to be focusing on the negative. Actually, I'm very excited about it. My wife and I decided to go through with this to assist in our chances for having children. Really I'm posting this so that anyone that is trying to find out more about the proceedure can get a better idea about what they are getting themselves into. We didn't have any idea about how much it would cost (and I had no idea what to expect as far as recover and so on).

The operation (or room at the hospital) cost was 7,568.00 with insurance. But because we were cash pay we were lucky enough to recieve a 75% discount. So, we paid 1,892.00.

The urological sureon charged 552.00 after a 45.00 discount.

And finally the anesthesiologist charged 563.50 after a discount.

So, the totals are all there if you would like to simply add them up. That is what you are up against if you are wishing to go through with the operation. At least that is what we paid the costs may vary depending on the area you are in.
    If you have any questions please feel free to contact me I'd love to help you out in any way I can.

massagetoad
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I was sooo grateful when seeing how much my husbands surgery cost for insurance to cover most, we paid $150 after all was said and done.

Not to bring you down. My husband had the surgery April 2005, and at the 3 and 6 month follow-up SA, showed no change. We ended up doing IVF-ICSI.

Just so you are not thinking this is a cure all surgery. I hope you are the percentage that is makes a difference in! Good luck!

futuredaddy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Insurance usually doesn't cover IVF does it? Isn't that expensive?

rb
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Varicocelectomy success probability

Hello,

My urologist gave me a 50-60% chance of success, but he said it could take up to a year to see results. I hope it doesn't take that long. Mine is in two weeks. I guess I will wait and see. Good luck.

rb

babyjoy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My husband had this surgery bilaterally in April 2006. Our insurance pays 90%, so we owed around 800 dollars. He had a 3 month semen analysis, it showed slightly improved count, morphology, motility but nothing to scream about. We are doing IUI in a few days, which will also be his 6 month follow up from surgery. Obviously, since we are not pregnant, his counts must not have improved TOO much, which is disappointing. I hope like you say, it could take up to a year to see the full benefit of varicocelectomy. IVF is not an appealing option, we will go there if we have to, but we were really hoping the surgery would be it. But, I am glad that we tried the surgery first, if we hadn't, we would always have wondered if that was the piece that we were missing. EVEN if it turns out to not be a great improvement in hubby's counts.

sun8
    is busy!!!
    BC Frozen Embryo Transfers (FET)

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bitchy
    Varicocelectomy is not all it is cracked up to be. My dh had this in 2002 and we were told by his urologist that this would be the magic fix. Luckily we have insurance, so I think we paid a total of $100. Fast forward to 2006, we still were not pg, but it did resolve his discomfort. Don't get me wrong, this procedure does work for some people, and I hope it does for you. We finally were able to have success with a FET after an IVF/ICSI cycle, none of which is covered by insurance.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast