FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
high male FSH/testicular failure

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    AngelDog'sMom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Question high male FSH/testicular failure

My DH was recently diagnosed with Testicular Failure (unknown reasons). His FSH level was at 17.5. They said this would explain his severely low sperm count (.4 million with very low motility, morphology). I am curious if the level also indicates how much closer he is to a sperm count of 0. I was told 11 was the high-normal FSH count, but I do not know what his particular level is compared to total testicular failure. Do we have a little time?

Oh, because I am always hopeful--does FSH level and then sperm count vary much in a man with testicular failure? I wish he could just take a pill and POOF little spermies would be created! (We are still waiting for the chromosonal testing to come back before we fully decide on IVF/ICSI or not).

thanks,
    Amy

2. Advertisement

yubbins3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would definately investigate things further. I'm thinking that there is probably more going on there than just a high FSH level. The levels I checked out from researching actually said that normal FSH level for men was 1-18, so 17.5 is right on the edge. There are several different things that could be happening all at once to cause the low count. I hope you find out some answers soon and that you can find a soloution to your problem

AngelDog'sMom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a little more research online and found an article that talked about how there are 2 companies that currently make the test for male FSH. Each company apparently has a different definition of "normal".

Quest - normal male range - 1.6 - 8.0 mIU/ml
    LabCorp - normal male range - 1.4 - 18.1 mIU/ml

From what the nurse said, my doc must be using Quest.

So, I did a bit more research and found that hypothyroidism can also lead to high FSH and low sperm count. We will be looking into this.

Is it wrong to hope that my DH has a treatable condition that is causing infertility even though that would still mean he has a medical condition??
    thanks for your response--it made me relook!
    Amy