FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
All ideas on how to increase count please

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Majubee
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

All ideas on how to increase count please

First a little information. I had a phone consultation with a RE today.

I asked for treatments on endometriosis and he told me that I am 28 and only getting older so I should get pregnant since I want more kids. He said "honestly pregnancy is the best treatment for endometriosis". he suggested IVF. I said IVF is too expensive and we cannot afford it at this time. If it comes to IVF we are pretty sure we will try it before we are 30 but for now we would like to do everything we can to increase sperm count and motility and possibly do iui. He said he could do a lap on me but he sees no need in cutting me open since I am "getting older" and I want to get pregnant. (I find it so odd that I am considered old, oh well)

He said he will do as many iui's for us as much as we want to but he has never seen pregnancy from iui with a washed count of less than 1 million so we might be wasting our time and money but he will do what ever we tell him to. Our last count was (several months ago) 1.4 million per whatever it is called so around 5 million total with 14% motility so that brings the total down to 700,000 (I think my math is right) of good sperm and a wash after that will bring it down even more. In my eyes that sounds pretty close and if we do something extra to increase the count and motility it might bring us over the top but what do I know. I asked for all sorts of information on how to increase count and for pricing on iui. He said he will do an iui this next cycle no matter what our count is if I want to but it will be a 1 1/2 hour drive back and forth for monitoring and everything. I said I will call him after I get the information.

So what do you think? What is the lowest count you have heard of for getting pg with iui? What are all of your ideas on how to increase sperm count? I asked the RE for ideas and he had nothing for me. He actually said to me that he is more of a "female" doctor than a "male" doctor but he would speak with the male infertility RE in the office and ask for ideas for me and then he suggested I look on the internet for ideas too. If you have links please post them too. I just know my dh will want something to back it up before he tries anything new.

Thank you!

Angie

2. Advertisement

Mondayschild
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Majubee

Dr. Scott Roseff has been recommending and using pycnogenol on male infertility patients. Also another good antioxidant is lycopene. You can do a search and find information on them. Additional supplements are multi, folic acid, Lcarnitene, acetyl Lcarnitene, alpha lipoic, zinc, coenzy10. There are also the lifestyle changes, loose undier/pants, no smoking, no excess heat, no hot tubs, etc...Hope this helps.

Orisa1
    Loving my DS
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool
    My first Re said Proxceed is very good for motility and count. He took it and showed great improvement, he was also on GNC fertility blend for men. The Proxceed is hard to find , only in special pharmacy that have Fert. Meds. You can also find it online. It's powdered and you mix it with a juice.
    Good Luck..
    Blessing

smiles06
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My DH has taken pretty much everything Majubee mentioned, and his sperm count has DOUBLED! It did take about 6 months...

JPruitt
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My suggestion would be to find an RE that can treat you both equally. You can get "just girl" advice from an ob/gyn. IF problems need treatment from both male and female perspectives.

I've only heard of IUI being suggested if the count is more than 1 million. If less than that IVF is usually suggested. Again, he's the dr and should be giving you the advice, not the other way around (of course you should make the final decision, but he should lead you to a good solution first).

You aren't that elderly =) so maybe you could try DH on some of these individual vitamins or one of the combined supplements for 3-6 months, get another sa (or 2) and then make a decision as to whether you would benefit more from IUI or IVF.

Good luck whatever you decide!!!

Sandra16m
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My husband's count was 1 million, IUI"s were never even an option for us. He's been taking vitamins and has done some lifestyle changes and it's improved a bit,but not enough for an IUI to work. A full sperm cycle takes at least 90 days to see results with the new sperm. Some of those medications mentioned will work, but you have to be patient, might take 6 months or longer.

Good Luck, Sandra

mmi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also ask what morphology(*shape of the sperm is) ... this is just as important as the other numbers. Your husband should see a urologist to see if there is a blockage or something that is fixable. If not, then I wouldnt' waste any more money on IUI's... go straight to IVF.