FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
devestated

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rekha Sharma
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

devestated

Hello, I am new to this board. I am 36 year old female with PCOS and have been undergoing numerous IF treatments.

I had an IUI this morning, and DH's sperm count has gotten lower and lower each month. This month only 600 k . Just this April, it was 9.9 million.

Dr asked my DH if he has been sick as he has never had problems before when he got tested.

DH has not been feeling too good lately, so RE is running some bloodtests and he will have a formal "semen analysis" next month.

He has been taking fertility blend for a month now.

We are absolutely devestated by this news and if this cycle doesnt work I have a feeling we will go directly to IVF.

anyone out there who has heard of sperm count decreasing like this in someone who never had these issues? It is perplexing. Could it be his age? he is 37.

2. Advertisement

babyvalentine
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rekha

My Dh is much older.Our first IUI DH's count was 500K and they tried to tell us we should probably go right to IVF next time. We didn't.. Our second IUI his count went up to 12M.

The changes he made in that 2 month time period were first to quit smoking and second I started him on all kinds of vitamins. The smoking was a big change but I think the smaller change of the vitamins is what helped us most.

It is a personal decision for you but I don't think you need to jump right to IVF. Don't let 1 IUI be your gauge.

Hoping your dreams come true
    L (49) D(53)

-8/89,-11/91,-b 10/3/92-d 12/27/92,-10/94,-7/95,-8/99,-3/08

Rekha Sharma
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    hi baby valentine, do you mind sharing your dh's vitamin regimen with me? so I can see if it is on my list:

so far he is taking feritlity blend tablets. But I was reading zinc, folic acid, selenium and vitamin c all help. I think I want to pick up these vitamin's at the health food store.

babyvalentine
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    my DH has been taking 200mg pycnogenol , lycopene, a multivitamin, coenzyme Q1o, zinc, Lcarnitene, acetyl Lcarnitene, and 1000 Vit C

Hope it helps
    L (49) D(53)

-8/89,-11/91,-b 10/3/92-d 12/27/92,-10/94,-7/95,-8/99,-3/08

Vip
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    rekha, yours dh should tale vit E, and multi Vit min. and see for two months. then he should take hCG for three months.

Mite
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree with the above post about HCG. HCG is only beneficial if your dh's low count is due to a low LH or Testosterone level. It is not a suitable treatment for everyone.

My dh has been on HCG for a year now, and needs to be on it for the rest of his life because his body does not make LH, which is needed for testosterone production.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
    Proud Mum to Benjamin & Elliott Born 1/25/07 at 30w6d (4lbs1oz, 3lbs6oz)

victoriagirl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mite,

Congrats on the twins!! That's really exciting. I do have a question, though. Why HcG and not Androgel? My DH has no pituitary gland. Before we started trying to get pregnant, he just took Androgel. Now he's on HcG to produce sperm, but will go off it when I get pregnant.

And let me just say, that 72-78 days of waiting for sperm is the longest ever. We're on day 33 or so and it feels like forever.

Victoriagirl
    Last edited by victoriagirl; 09-03-2006 at 11:26 AM.

Mite
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriagirl
    Why HcG and not Androgel?
    Well this is the way it was explained to us by dh's Urologist.....

Straight Testosterone supplements actually cause sterility. It sounds ironic considering testosterone is needed for sperm production, but it's true. Sometimes the sterility is temporary and stopping the supplements will restore fertility over time, but often the sterility is permanent and switching to HCG when you want to concieve may no longer work. Therefore we were advised that so long as there is a chance that we may want to have children he should stay on the HCG rather than risk it. Once we are satisfied we don't want any more children he will switch over to one of the available testosterone supplements.

The gel certainly sounds a lot easier to deal with than the shots!

victoriagirl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mite,

Our urologist didn't mention that DH should stay on HcG until we were done having kids. Of course, we've only seen him one time. DH won't like that much. He complains every time he has to take the shot, but I can't blame him, I would, too. I knew the testosterone caused sterility, I didn't know switching between the two could also. In the end, I suppose it is all worth it.

And, yes, having done the testosterone injections and the gel, the gel is much easier. DH used the packets of gel and the pump. He much prefers the pump. The injections were every 3 weeks, and he would have real highs and lows. The gel keeps a much more even DH and a much happier wife.
    Last edited by victoriagirl; 09-03-2006 at 04:09 PM.

Mite
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Victoria, it's not the switching between the two that can cause the sterility, it's just the actual testosterone. For some people it is reversible but for others it's not and in those cases the HCG then does nothing to increase the sperm count.

We are lucky we have one of the best Urologists in NYC and we think he's a great doctor and a great man.
    dh takes 800mg Novarell every other day. He used to do 1cc twice a week, but had mood swings and headaches, the lesser dose more frequently totally stopped that, I guess because the levels are more constant. I agree happier dh = happier wife He also has blood tests every 3 months to check the levels and adjust the dose accordingly. I give him the shots in the upper arm. I keep trying to talk him into doing them himself in the thigh, but he's a bit of a baby and would rather I do them for him.
    Last edited by Mite; 09-03-2006 at 04:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast