FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Retrograde ejaculation, low count, 0 motility?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    SeattleSuz
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Retrograde ejaculation, low count, 0 motility?

Since my DH has been somewhat diagnosed with Retrograde Ejaculation (his doctor cannot fully diagnose him as he cannot do the test on him cuz DH doesn't urinate normally, dont ask long story involving 14 surgeries etc), and his SA had him at 4mil count and 0% motility, what chances to we actually have of conceiving with IVF or IVF with ICSI???

Does anyone know how they go about "retrieving" sperm from someone with this problem?? He keeps asking me and I don't know what to tell him.

2. Advertisement

hay
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure if motility matters for ICSI. They just make an injecttion of one sperm into egg, so there is no need for a sperm to be motile.

Regarding retrieval I know it is surgically possible even for those who have azoospermia.

I took this from Internet (http://www.ivf-infertility.com/ivf/pesa2.php) :

There are two methods of retrieving sperm surgically.
    PESA (percutaneous sperm aspiration)
    This is the first choice (if possible) to collect sperm. A fine needle is inserted through the scrotum into the epididymis and sperm are obtained by gentle suction. After each sample is collected, it is examined under the microscope to confirm the presence of sperm.

TESA (testicular sperm extraction)
    A fine needle is inserted into the testis and sample of tissue are obtained by gentle suction and examined under the microscope. If sperm are not found, a small tissue sample (testicular biopsy) is taken through a small incision in the scrotum and testis, sperm can then be extracted from the tissue. The cut is stitched back together with a couple of stitches, which self dissolve in about 10 days. Finding sperm in the testicular tissue can be a laborious process.

Surgically retrieved sperm are immature and incapable of fertilization by conventional means. Fertilization is achieved using ICSI, this involve injecting a selected sperm into the cytoplasm of a mature egg.

After the operation, You may feel discomfort, bruising and tenderness of the scrotum for 24-48 hours. This will be relieved with painkillers such as paracetemol or codeine tablets. There is a small risk of infection and bleeding after the procedure. A firm scrotal support is recommended until the discomfort subsides. The long-term effects of repeated testicular biopsy are poorly understood.

Any spare sperm or testicular tissues may be frozen for later use, thus avoiding a repeat of surgical sperm retrieval procedure.

In case no sperm is found, the couple may either decide to cancel the egg collection and abandon treatment altogether, or proceed with the egg collection and inseminate the eggs with donor sperm if this has been discussed and agreed before hand as a 'backup'.

SeattleSuz
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting that. I will review this with my doctor and see which one she prefers to have my husband do.
    Thanks again!

Sunnie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure why you think he will need to have sperm retrieved if they got a count of 4 mill? What was the morphology? You will probably just need IVF/ICSI.

SeattleSuz
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie
    I'm not sure why you think he will need to have sperm retrieved if they got a count of 4 mill? What was the morphology? You will probably just need IVF/ICSI.
    Because of the 0% motility.

Sunnie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the other poster said, ICSI solves the problem of motility. Unless they think the sperm are otherwise "bad" somehow (i.e. poor morph).

megtheteacher
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    What Sunnie said. 4 million is plenty for ICSI. We are going ahead with 100,000. Re: motility - They cut their tails off anyway - they don't need to move, lol.

Meg
    www.journeytothecentre.com

SeattleSuz
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I told DH about the aspiration part for him. He's not too thrilled about it, but will endure it anyway.....

Poor guy. I had two aspirations done on my thyroid and I know that they are not fun....