FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Men Have The Power To Change Their Results

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    CharlieGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Men Have The Power To Change Their Results

My husband and I started fertility testing when I was 36 and he was told his sperm sample was fine. I went through the full battery of tests and they couldn't find anything wrong. So, we kept trying on our own. At 38 we went back to a different clinic to find out his count and morphogy was wayyyyy off! I mean seriously low! After all the invasive and painful tests I endured I was furious!

Well, my DH took his health into his own hands. He cut his drinking way back, stopped smoking completely (even occasionally), started working out almost daily, ate healthy and began taking suppliments. When we returned almost 8 months later he was retested and his count and morphology had shot through the roof!!!

I just wanted men to know that there is hope for them. It does require a great deal of effort and dedication.

I've also heard that stress can play a factor......

2. Advertisement

ceanothus
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate you sharing this. I had no infertilty issues when we started TTC at age 38. Our doctors completely ignored my husbands low counts as well as the fact that he was taking Plendil, a well known male contraceptive. (blood pressure medication) However, we did conceive an angel through IVF/ICSI and FET, at the cost of $23 grand. Now I'm 41.6 and we are trying for a second. We just completed a failed IVF/FET cycle for $17 grand, and I'm tapped out on money. So I'm back to square one, trying to figure out the male side of things, by myself, late at night while my beauties sleep. I think we are going to try the vitamin supplements.

CharlieGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I can leave you with anything, please know that men have alot of power in terms of the quality of their sperm. It's up to them to make the necessary changes. No alcohol. Loose fitting and breathable clothing. No sitting at a computer for extended amounts of time. Avoid laptops on the lap altogether. Eat lots of anti-oxidants. NO SMOKING. And a healthy low fat, organic diet. (The hormones used in milk products, meat products and in pesticides are going to make us all sterile if we're not cautious). Taking regular suppliments. And, of course, regular exercise.

If he were to stay loyal to all these things for a couple months you won't believe the difference. My husband went from basically horrible to through the roof! The doctor was shocked. But also remember that stress can play a huge factor on the amount and quality on the day of retrieval. If you do IVF again be sure to have them test the sperm right away and if it isn't a good sample have him give a second one. The pressure and stress can take it's toll on our poor guys!

Wishing you the best of luck!
    Kelli.

Mondayschild
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Ceanothus

My DH is a vitamin/supplement regimen including multi, pycnogenol, lycopene, L-carnitene, acetyl L-carnitene, zinc, coenzymeQ10, alpha lipoic. These may help. We also started taking traditional chinese herbs on 6-29-06. The high level antioxidants in pycnogenol and lycopene are suppose to show high results with motility and morphology. Good Luck.

WinchestyD
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not ALL men have the power to change their results. Some men were born with fertility issues that can not be corrected and some will need surgery to correct their issues. I think it great your husband was able to change his lifestyle and change his count, and though it can't hurt to make these good changes- keep in mind that is not the norm (or this board would be empty)!