FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Morphology - IVF/ IVF with ICSI

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    byreit
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Morphology - IVF/ IVF with ICSI

Long story but need help.
    I am hypothyroid and mild PCO(Borderline testosterone 55) but I ovulate. DH had an SA in Apr 2005 in a clinic and the results are
    total count- 150m, Motility - 50% and K.Morphology-5%.
    Then we changed clinic and he had another SA in July 2005,
    the results are total Count - 62m , Motility - 50% and K.Morphology - 11%.
    As per our RE the SA is normal and he still considered IUI. We did 5IUI cycles with over 100m, 50% motility and all failed(They dont measure morphology after sperm wash). In between DH saw an urologist and he said there might a small variocele but surgery not needed as its very minor , his count is good. We havent mentioned to our new RE about the DHs visit to urologist as first our RE didnt recommend it when we asked.

RE thinks I might have endo even though HSG normal and thats the reason by him for no success. Now I am still considering the SA having a mild problem. What do you girls think. We are going to do IVF now, Do you girls think we might need ICSI with it.
    Last edited by byreit; 05-03-2006 at 12:47 PM.

2. Advertisement

rachel_va
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi-
    We're unexplained but in doing the workup for IVF had SA: count 120 million (normal), motility 80% (normal) and Kruger morph 5%. Our RE tells us b/c of the morph we will have to do ICSI. Our clinic does ICSI most of the time anyway...
    Hope that helps.

mmi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our clinic always does it at a morphology of 4%. For us, one IVf we had a morphology of 6% and had fertilization..... another IVF, again 6% and NO fertilization, rescue icsi did not work. So I would insist on ICSI'ing at least half of the eggs.
    3 years and 15 medicated cycles(clomid, injections, iui's, ivf's, fet, you name it) and 2 angels before finally getting princess 1 (1999)

2 injection cycles for princess 2(2002)
    Truly miracles!

"Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

rebel22
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My DH had low morphology (I think it was 11%) and his sperm counts were alot lower than your DH, although his motility was always pretty high (over 80%). Anyway, we got pregnant on our first try with IUI and meds. I took Folistim and we ended up having twins (boy & girl). Our RE did not think we needed to do IVF with those numbers, but every doctor/clinic is different, I guess. Hope this helps!!!!

Basherte
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    My DH has a pretty large varicocoele. His SA showed normal count and motility. Morphology 5%. I'm 38 and he is 39. Decided against surgery for him because of our age and time wasted during scheduling/surgery/recovery. We decided to try IUI first because we were at that borderline of 4-5%. We did one natural cycle and one with clomid, both BFN. We are now moving on to IVF with ICSI. Given our situation our RE would not even consider doing the IVF without ICSI. The amorphous sperm have difficulty fertilizing and the embryologists are able to pick the best sperm that way.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

CindiR
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My dh has low morph (3%) and my RE said we had to do ICSI. My opinion is that if you are going to do IVF you might as well do ICSI. Good luck.

rebel22
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am confused. I thought once they wash the sperm, they take out the bad guys and leave all the healthy guys. So, why wouldn't IUI work for men who have good counts and good motility? Morphology has to do with the quality of the sperm (head & body shape). Our RE said, basically you have too many "out of shape" sperm which are interfering with the good ones. I bet IVF w/ICSI has better odds of getting pregnant, than IUI, but the woman has to put her body through so much more than just doing IUI which is a less evasive method.

SeattleSuz
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My DH has 0% motility with 50% noticiably live and 50% questionable/dead. My RE says that she wouldnt even consider doing IVF w/o ICSI. She actually asked me if I knew what should be done, and I told her "IVF with ICSI" and she told me I was absolutely correct.

Jane932
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

ICSI is not always the answer

Hi Ladies --

Our first RE told us it was statistically impossible to have children and ICSI was our only hope. Our second RE was much more optimistic and gave us other ideas.

My DH had sperm count of 20m, mobility of 45%, and a morpholgoy of 1%. He went on 50mg Clomid 3x a week, a bunch of vitamins (all have been listed on this forum before), and did acupuncture once a week for 10 weeks. His counts went up to 35m, mobility of 95%, and morphology of 5%.

We have had 4 IUIs and we got a BFP after each one. Unfortunately, I have APA and lost the first 3, but now we are 8w with triplets!!!

Jane
    Last edited by Jane932; 07-10-2006 at 09:27 AM.