FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Help analyzing SA

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Emily A.
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Help analyzing SA

If I were to post DH's SA results could someone help me decipher? We are in the beginning stages of infertility diagnosis, so our primary doc ordered a SA to start. We get the results in the mail yesterday...but there seems to be abnormalities I will be calling the office to help decipher on Monday...is there anyone that can help this weekend give me a heads up w/ what we are looking at? I will check back if there is anyone that can, and then post the entire lab results...

2. Advertisement

Jann
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I may or may not be online next week (out of town) but myself or someone else can definitely help you. Good luck! Jann

penny427
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post the results here and Ill see if I can help ya out.
    Me..33 DH...37

IVF#1..9/05...BFN FET#1..10/05 BFP... 8w
    IVF#2 BFP!Thank you JESUS! I give you all the glory!!
    DD-1/24/07 My life is now complete!! God is amazing!

Emily A.
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yay, great! Ok I will post the results word for word...the italics are my questions....

Interpretation--Abnormal semen analysis. More than 30% normal forms are seen. There are inflammatory cells present. Sperm clumping is noted. Viscosity is abnormal and liquefacation is incomplete. A genital tract infection should be excluded.

Morphology-WHO 1992
    More than 30% normal forms are seen. I read on the net this is a good thing?
    Fertility-semen
    3/31/06
    Vol.- 4.5 (norm is less than or equal to 2.0mL)
    Semen pH-8.0 (norm is 7.2-8.0)
    Semen Liq-incomplete (norm is complete)
    Semen Vis.-abnormal (norm is normal) duh
    Semen Viab.-55 (norm is more than or equal to 75%)
    Sperm count-113 (norm is 20 mill/mL) this 113 didn't say mil. after it, should I assume it means million? Like the viability was 55 but didn't have a % after it but I assumed it meant %...God I hope it's not one hundred and thirteen
    activity is 3+ (norm is greater than or equal to 3+)
    motility-80 (norm is greater than or equal to 50%)

Ok, so luckily the SA had the norms next to DH's results, or I woulda been REALLY lost!...I am worried about the clumping, viscosity, liquefacation, and the viability...what the heck does this all mean?

Jann
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Emily,
    We've had 4 semen analysis and the first one was WHO Criteria (done at a non-Fertility clinic) and the last 3 were done at fertility clinics using STRICT MORPHOLOGY,

Fertility clinics use Strict Morphology, not Who criteria. All I've learned is that the strict morpholgy method of analyzing semen is as follows: The adnrologist takes a sample of 200 of the sperm and analyzes them. The andrologist then looks at each sperm and the whole sample in it's entirety and analyzes the sample (comparing them to what is considered 'strict morphology'-which are high standards. You will probably need to have the test redone at some point at a Fertility clinic--that's my guess.

My DH had a PH of over 8 in his first sample which indicated that he had an infection--antibiotics easiy took care of that. Your DH's ph is 8--not sure what that means since it is borderline.

I can't advise you on anything else (if your DH had a morphology problem like my DH--I could write volumes!). Anyway, best of luck! Jann

penny427
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok..the 2 things I see that are not normal are the liquification and the viscosity. Other than that to me everything looks good. The 113 Im sure is million. I wouldnt worry about that one at all. As for the viscosity part they said its abnormal which in laymans terms means his sperm will have a hard time fertilizing your eggs. The good news is if you are doing IVF you can do ICSI and it will completely take that problem out of the picture. The liquification issue means that there "could" be an issue with his prostate. Normal sperm liquifies in about 15 minutes but can take up to about 45-60 minutes. I read that there are enzymes that are made in the prostate that is what causes the liquification. On that one he may need to talk to a urologist but I would talk with your RE. His count, motility etc are all awesome. I wish my hubby had such good results. There are medications that can fix sperm issues, lifestyle changes etc. My hubby is taking fertility blend for men and I have heard many stories where people have gotten pregnant on their own after 3-6 months of taking this. Dont worry about his test ok. Trust me. You are going to be fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk to your RE about any concerns you have and also you can do a websearch under "semen analysis" and will find a lot of info. I wish you the best and hopefully I helped ya out a little. If not Im sorry. I just know that I got pregnant and my dh's S/A was horrible. I had a m/c but that had nothing to do with his sperm. Ill be praying for you!
    Me..33 DH...37

IVF#1..9/05...BFN FET#1..10/05 BFP... 8w
    IVF#2 BFP!Thank you JESUS! I give you all the glory!!
    DD-1/24/07 My life is now complete!! God is amazing!

Emily A.
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    THANK YOU! I swear the people on here are so nice. I am really new to this infertility diagnosis and I feel sad one minute and fortunate the next...maybe our timing is off...we have been TTC for almost 15 months...all BFN's and ONE false BFP. Heartbreaking, stay away from those digital tests! Not saying that was the cause, but it was so emotional. I was late the month I got the BFP and I am never late. The bloodwork ruled out pg. I know so many of you have been at this for years so I feel guilty in a way cause I am a "newbie", but the support has been awesome. I just want to get to the next step of finding out the problem.... to ya all!