FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
IUI w/ Male IF???

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LeeLynn17
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

IUI w/ Male IF???

I was wondering if there are any sucess stories of IUI's with male infertility. I was seeing a RE and went through IVF which failed. He always told me that with DH's counts that IUI would be a waste of time and money.

Well since then I have started with a new RE and was talking with the nurse yesterday about trying to find other ways to help the cause until we had the money to try IVF again. She suggested IUI's. She didn't have my folder in front of her but I told her the count was ok but on the lower side but his mobility, volume and good sperm was all low. She said that sometimes depending on the lab that does the wash that they could "perk up" the sperm enough for it to work.

My question to you all is have you heard of this? If so is it worth it? Should I just hold out until I get the money for IVF? Are there any success rates with male factor and IUI???

Any and ALL advice is wanted!

Thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement

LSteele
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My DH had a low count but high everything else, so the RE said it was worth a try. We did two IUIs -- both times we had pretty low numbers post-wash. The one time the number was slightly higher, the motility was a lot lower, and when the motility was higher, the count was lower. So we stopped after two and figured IVF would do the trick (which it didn't, but I still think IUI was probably not going to work). They say you only need one, but they also say you need a post-wash count of more than 5 million to see probable success. Good luck!
    Laura, mom to Ryan, 8/25/01

Cheryllynn
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was doing IUI's they said 5 million was minimum for a good chance.

It does take more than 1 sperm. Sperm need to travel in a pack as they draft off each other to help make the journey. Those up front become too tired, then the next up front continue the journey. I saw a documentary that illustrated out of the millions of sperm that start there would be approx only 50 that reach the egg. Then they need enough energy to penetrate the egg shell.

Once our post-wash was only 100,000 and the RE didn't think there was any real hope for our cycle - they used a different wash for anti-sperm antibodies that pretty much destroyed everything.

I was never pg on an IUI and I did 4 prior to ivf, then returned and did another 4 - all negative.

If insurance covers it, or you have a few hundred $$ to spend, then go ahead with the IUI, knowing that your chances are lower.

If the count is really low < 5 million, I would save your $$ for ivf.
    Last embryo 5 day AA, frozen for 7 years. Lupron/estrace/PIO + progesterone suppositories. 40mg Lovenox / baby aspirin
    6dp5dt: estrogen 218, prog 67: beta = 18. Monday 2/10 at 12dp5dt: beta = 284. ANA test is positive 1:40 titre cytokine, NK, t-reg all normal. APA positive from local lab and Alan Beer Center.
    EDD 10/16

lambchops
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It really depends on counts and the "problem." DH and I have had two IUIs and two resulting pregnancies (first ectopic, 24.5 weeks with second right now). His number was great but his morhpology is awful. IUI was recommended for us. It worked. We have some other complicating issues (I only have a right ovary, my thyroid problems) but I was pleased with the results. My suggestion? An IUI can't necessarily hurt. They aren't as invasive or as time consuming. Oh, and they are much cheaper. FYI, DH and I were not goign to go the IVF route because of a variety of issues--money, emotions, etc... WE're very pleased the IUI worked out.
    --Shelly (31), DH (32)

Mommy to Zachary Nathan (5/6/6), Only Child...HELP!

Sevencagedtigers.com - Blog
    Flickr - Photographs
    Epinions - Product Reviews

TrickiWoo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    We had a successful IUI + Clomid and our only issue was male factor.

In our case, luckily, DH's count was very high but morpholgy was low. After the sperm wash he had an average count and good everything else.
    The lab tech told us that if there's a large number of 'goofy' ones the good sperm have trouble getting past them to get to the egg. During the wash they take away most of the misshapen sperm so only the good ones are left thereby increasing the quality of the sample.

I have no fert. issues, I was on low dose clomid to provide more 'targets'. I released 3 eggs and we have yet to see how many fertilized (I'm 5 weeks)

mmi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My dh had counts of about 20 million with excellant motility, but morphology of 6%. They were certain we would get pregnant with IUI. I did clomid cycles, all neg, injection cycles, negative. Actually spent 2 years doing this(dumb!)... our IVF's were also negative and we ended up with donor. I really think there are some sperm issues that they just dont' understand. You could try an IUI or two, but I wouldn't spend too much money on it, especially if you are saving for IVF. One thing, they usually try to boost the women(clomid or injections) so you do have a bigger chance at multiples. I stupidly triggered with 8 mature follicles once... i didn't know any better and I was so desparate to get pregnant. Good luck.
    3 years and 15 medicated cycles(clomid, injections, iui's, ivf's, fet, you name it) and 2 angels before finally getting princess 1 (1999)

2 injection cycles for princess 2(2002)
    Truly miracles!

"Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

mattiejo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed
    My question is during the wash do they check the morphology and separate the bad from the good? My DH has low morphology, less than 5% but everything is fine with me. We have only done one IUI and not sure if it worked this month but I'm thinking not.

Tammie

TrickiWoo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by mattiejo
    My question is during the wash do they check the morphology and separate the bad from the good? My DH has low morphology, less than 5% but everything is fine with me. We have only done one IUI and not sure if it worked this month but I'm thinking not.

Tammie
    Yes, when they do a sperm wash they do a partial sperm analysis and try to remove alot of the bad ones to improve the overall quality of the sample. Maybe you could try vitamins, etc to boost his count and hopefully increase the number of healthy sperm that will be left after a wash.
    I have to agree with the other posters, though. I wouldn't do more than 3 IUIs, especially if you're saving for IVF.
    How long ago was your IUI? I was convinced that mine didn't work until 12 dpiui when my bb's started to hurt and I took a test. I was shocked when it came up positive.

lambchops
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My hubby has morphology just under 5%. He had a varicocele repair surgery but it did not work (aside from the fact that he's much more comfy). He didn't take vitamins...nothing. His morph was still awful. The doc explained that the washing process takes the fluid out. The fluid is "bad" and leads the "good swimmers astray" in patients with morphology issues.

Like I said we got pregnant with both our IUIs+clomid+trigger.
    --Shelly (31), DH (32)

Mommy to Zachary Nathan (5/6/6), Only Child...HELP!

Sevencagedtigers.com - Blog
    Flickr - Photographs
    Epinions - Product Reviews

mattiejo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Thanks ladies for the replies. Trickiwoo my IUI was this month and tomorrow is the 28th day for me. I poas 11 dpiui and it was BFN that is why I think it didn't work for me this month. We are hoping and praying that a couple more IUI's will do the trick. Thanks for the advice and for sharing your stories it does give me hope. My DH is taking vitamins daily and switched to boxers so hopefully that will help. His count is normal so that is good. Take care.

Tammie
    Last edited by mattiejo; 02-22-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast