FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Reasons for MF diagnosis?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Sunnie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Reasons for MF diagnosis?

We were just diagonsed w/MF infertility but I have no idea why my DH's sample came back w/such low numbers...he doesn't have any risk factors that we know of! He has an appointment with the RE in a few weeks and maybe we'll get some answers then.

Here are his results:

Count: 3M/ml
    Motility: 46%
    Morphology: 6%

In the meantime I'm curious who here knows the reasons for their DH's infertility. And is there anything that can be done to improve numbers this low?? Right now it seems like IVF would be our only option.

2. Advertisement

LSteele
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of times it could be a varicocele, an enlarged vein that causes overheating of sperm (or so people think -- it's not clear to everyone why a varicocele is so problematic). Or if your DH has had any kind of infection recently, that can also cause an abnormal SA.

If it's the former, there is surgery, although it's expensive and doesn't always work (often still requires IVF to actually get pg). If it's the latter, a dose of antibiotics can do the trick.

Sorry I can't be more specific -- there's lots people don't know about any kind of IF. The RE will have a more detailed checklist. Good luck!
    Laura, mom to Ryan, 8/25/01

lambchops
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My hubby got a MF diagnosis because of a double varicocele--his groin region was HOT and UNCOMFORTABLE not to mention causing a good deal of issue with his morphology. He had a grade 2 and a grade 3. He had surgery--it didn't correct the problem with the morph but he feels better. His number still are under 5% morphology but we have been able to get pregnant twice (the first was ectopic, I'm nearly 24 weeks with the second) via just clomid/trigger/IUI. Good luck!
    --Shelly (31), DH (32)

Mommy to Zachary Nathan (5/6/6), Only Child...HELP!

Sevencagedtigers.com - Blog
    Flickr - Photographs
    Epinions - Product Reviews

Adrienne
    has status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Sometimes there isn't a good answer to be found.

Diabetes, marijuana use, bike riders that wear those tight pants and put too much pressure on the "boys" etc etc etc.....

Good Luck!

Adrienne

beautiful boy