FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Please help me understand results!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    LisaAnn68
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Please help me understand results!

Hi, I am brand new here, and we have just been told my husband's sperm analyses is low, but I am not sure what normal is.

We are having IUI done because we have been trying for 9 mo. with no results. Then to add to the problem, my husband is not living in the same state as me, so he has to fly in to leave sperm samples. He is Navy and not stationed here.

So here is what the IUI lab told us:

30 million per ml
    60%
    total 108 million
    64.8 mutile

I have no idea what on earth this all means. Please someone help. I have tried to call the lab, but they do not return my call, and my doctor does not have the results yet.

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

2. Advertisement

michelle0714
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lisa Ann,
    I am not an expert, but your husbands counts are alot higher than my dh and I just went thru Oct 6th my first iui......107 million I think I pretty darn good...considering my dh only had 6 mill total, after wash he only had 500,000. Per my RE (after the fact) that was not much at all for an iui.....hope this was positive and the best of luck to you both!!!!!!!!!

wantsababy2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are different levels of sperm testing. Most do the "basic" test, which is for volume, count, motility, and morphology.

Different labs have different ranges for what they condiser "normal" but bear in mind that SA's vary widely within the same person. Usually, if one SA shows some kind of abnormality, they will do another or do more thorough testing.

Here is a link to the WHO standards for SA:

http://www.il-st-acad-sci.org/androl1.html

your DH had 30 million sperm per mL of ejaculate.
    Sperm motility was 60%
    Total sperm count was 108 M, which means volume of ejaculate was 3.6 mL
    Total motile sperm was 64.8 M

According to WHO standards, these numbers are good.

What, exactly, did they say was bad about DH's SA? Was it count, motility, morphology?

Hopefully, your doctor will have the results soon and can go over them with you.

Good luck!

LisaAnn68
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, thank you so much for your replies. I was so worried. The lady I spoke to said that 30 million was way low and she was not sure if we could proceed with IUI. She was the person who answers the phone and makes appt. at the Military Hospital where I will be having the IUI.

The lab gave me the results I posted yesterday, and said they have a total of 6 vials from his Saturday and Sunday "deposits"

4 with 8.7 million
    2 with 1.8 million

The lab said we would probably need all 6 vials for one IUI. I am so confused, but hope it works this next cycle. My husband is stationed in another state, so we have to fly him home to leave his donations and it is expensive, and he is out of leave, so we have to do it on the weekend only. Then in Januray, he leaves for 6 months out to sea, so unless we can stock up, we will be out.

Thanks for your help, I feel better.

Lisa

wantsababy2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are those results are from both samples combined? Or just one sample? If those results are two samples combined, then I see why they say numbers are low.

Are you saying that they collected DH's sperm and separated into vials for multiple uses? Six uses? With regards to counts in each vial, are those post-wash counts? If so, my RE's office says 5 million is good enough for IUI (more is better of course).

I'm sorry, I don't know much about collecting sperm and storing for use at a later time. Luckily, we don't have that problem. My DH gives them a sample on the day of IUI and they use all of it. I think he'd have to have an impossibly high count to make it last SIX IUI's !!

In any case, I hope you get to talk to your RE about it soon. Waiting and worrying can drive you mad!

LisaAnn68
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi wantsababy, yes, the vials are from both deposits. I have no idea why they separated them into so many vials. Yes, we are trying to stock up, but not 6 tries from two deposits. When I call the lab, they are rude and too quick to hang up. I have no idea why the counts in each vial vary from the original results.

Does anyone know if they do the wash prior to freezing, or when it thaws?? It is all so confusing and nobody will answer me. We are paying $200.00 for the first sample and $ 108 for the second. I think since I am a paying customer they should answer my questions. The lab tech did say they will most likely have to use all six vials for one insimination.

Stupid lab, this is already beginning to become a nightmare. Bet I never even end up pregnant!

Well, thanks for listening!

Lisa

LisaAnn68
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    O.K. I just called the lab again, for the third time. This time she was very helpful. Finally. Well, with all 6 vials combined, we have 38.4 million sperm after the freeze. We will lose another 30% or so with the wash, so she thinks we will end up with 10 - 15 million after the wash and ready to inseminate. She said anything over 10 million is a good insemination. So, looks like we are in the game for this coming cycle. (Which should start any day now).

But it seems a waste to get a sample on Saturday and on Sunday, since really all we are basically working with is Saturday's sample, since 24 hours later, he had a lousy sample. So guess we can only do one sample per weekend, at $370.00 per flight and $ 108.00 per freeze. OUCH, but well worth it if we get our baby someday!!!

Thanks so much for all of your help!!!!

wantsababy2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see you found someone who explained things to you. And I'm glad its better news, at least you can put your mind at ease. It is very frustrating when we try to get information and they shrug us off and take a "we know what we are doing, just do as we say and don't ask questions" attitude.

I hope you have an air miles card, looks like you'll be racking them up!

Good luck!

wantsababy2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bops-
    On my very first IUI, DH produced something like 250 million, but post wash was only 9 million. I was like WHAT? Is that normal? How do you start out with so many and end up with so few? My RE told me on our first IUI that 9 mil is fine. He said anything over 5 million is fine. Anything less than 5 million consistently is not worth doing IUI for more than 3 cycles.
    On my second IUI, we had 91 million. I'm like WHAT? Did someone add an extra zero somewhere? The first time was only 9 million and now we have 91 ? My RE said this is normal. He said sperm samples vary greatly. He's even seen stellar counts occasionally from men who previously had nothing but low counts.
    The next few IUIs we've averaged about 15-40 mil.

If your RE is like mine, then this cycle's numbers are borderline, but still OK. I presume they thought it was fine too since they didn't say anything. The counts from your last cycle were good, so maybe its just a fluke. Who knows why counts vary so widely. Maybe DH had too hot a shower that day. Maybe that boozing the week before was a no-no. Maybe that horror movie scared the bejeezus out of his boys. Who knows. That's men for ya - can't ever count on anything from them!

I wouldn't worry too much unless it becomes consistent. Like they say, it only takes 1! Please don't give up hope - if I remember correctly, they've got a huge target, how can they miss?!!

Good luck and sending your way!