FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Varicocle repair

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    kcmjpm23
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Varicocle repair

Hi,

I am sure this has been posted before. My husband has a large varicocle that he can feel. He's off the Urologic surgeon on August 8. Just wondering what you all think of this procedure to repair it.

His sperm count is at 7 mil and his motility is at 30. Not good numbers. We actually have a five year old. I was referred by secondary infertility folks. So we have conceived and I actually lost a baby very early on in pregnant. It's been very strange road for us this time around.

also, he had hernia surgery as an infant. Could that be related?

Kelly

2. Advertisement

shush
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kelly

My dh also has a very large varicocele. His first SA showed him at 3mil. We were devastated! We immediately went to a Urologist who pushed for the surgery. We went for the surgery, but they were unable to complete it (due to some scar tissue from a previous hernia operation...something your dh might want to ask about if he decides to do the surgery).

They gave dh the option of going for an "embolization", but we decided to have me tested first (if there was something wrong with me, the surgery would be a waste). I checked out fine, but my doc suggested that we try IUIs and then move onto IVF (so dh went on some supplements and his count went up to 14 mil with better motility...it has stayed right around there ever since). Not great...but certainly better.

The varicocele surgery is not always successful, some men see no improvement in their numbers. Many do, but it can take a long time and we do not want to wait...we are not getting any younger). The road to pg is different for every IF couple. These are difficult decisions that we make. So many variables come into play. We decided to go this route because IUIs are affordable for us and dh's insurance will cover IVF in January. We did not want to take the chance on the surgery not working and having to go through IVF anyway. The botched surgery was really tough on dh, so we decided not to continue on with that path.

Good luck in your decision making process. By the way, my dh is on the husbands discussing infertility board (Bri), if yours would like to talk to someone going through the same stuff.
    Last edited by shush; 07-27-2005 at 10:52 AM.

mmi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our insurance did not cover it and with conflicting results as to whether it even helps, plus we didn't have want to spend the extra 6m-1yr to see if worked or not, thus we chose not to have the surgery. We ended up doing several IVF's, and finally had to go to donor. My reason for posting though is to ask about morphology. My husband had morphology of 6 % and noone really paid much attention to it. Be sure to ask what his morphology is. good luck.
    3 years and 15 medicated cycles(clomid, injections, iui's, ivf's, fet, you name it) and 2 angels before finally getting princess 1 (1999)

2 injection cycles for princess 2(2002)
    Truly miracles!

"Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

lambchops
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hubby had surgery early last year. It repaired the "heat" issue that made him uncomfortable but not the morphology problem. It was deemed "unsuccessful." BTW, he had a large varicocele on one side and a huge one on the other. It was not a difficult surgery for him either...and our insurance covered it no questions asked.
    --Shelly (31), DH (32)

Mommy to Zachary Nathan (5/6/6), Only Child...HELP!

Sevencagedtigers.com - Blog
    Flickr - Photographs
    Epinions - Product Reviews

kcmjpm23
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info

Thanks all for the information. Our appointment is August 8, 2005. This has been really great...

If any one else has any opinions, feel free to chime in. I may print this out and take to dr.

Kelly

Tnatural
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi.

I had the surgery about 10 months ago. My numbers were around where your DH's are. To date, I have seen no improvement in anything. Varicocele surgery has been around for a very long time. I believe the urologists tout something like 70% of patients see an improvement. However, most Male factor issues I would say aren't just one facet of the SA - so for example if the count improves, the motility might not. Shush makes an excellent point....if you have two years to wait to see if results come in from Varicocele why not try it. I personally think the urologists push this surgery, but yet they can't explain why it would help turn around SA counts - it is not confirmed if the heat transfer is the reason. The **** surgery has been around forever, but there are still no real answers if it works and or why.

To be honest, I had high hopes of it working after my conversations with the Urologist who performed the surgery. Of course, if it had worked for me I would be it's biggest fan.....so I wish you the best of luck with it, and hope it is a 'success'.
    T

shush
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi T:

Wow...it was great to read that somebody feels the same as we do (it reaffirms our decision to not go through with the next surgery). We always question if our decisions are the right ones (it is difficult not to). I am very sorry to hear that your surgery was not successful (that is a lot to go through to no avail). We would probably be in your shoes right now, had they been able to go through with the surgery (dh was on the table under anesthesia with the incision made when his doc determined that he could not go through with it). I felt aweful for dh at the time (to have to go through the agony of recovery without the knowledge that things might improve), but I can't imagine how tough it must be to finish the surgery and STILL see no result!

If you don't mind my asking, which IF route are you and dw taking now? Maybe we could swap suggestions (as it sounds like we are in similar boats). My dh has another appt. scheduled with his urologist in 2 weeks. We decided that he will stand his ground against the 2nd surgery and see if there are any medications that he can prescribe to temporarily assist with sperm production to enhance our IUI/IVF success (I have heard of men being prescribed Clomid for this purpose). We'll see.

kcmjpm23
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

I really appreciate all the info you shared with me on this. It does help alot. After the consult on Monday, August 8, I'll post what happened.

Believe it or not, we are seriously thinking of moving to adoption if the surgical results are not promising.

Kelly

ilias
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    best of luck from greece i had the surgory 1,5 years ago

Tnatural
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shush,

Not sure where we go from here. Two failed IVF/ICSI, Three Failed IUI. I met with a different Urologist specializing in Infertility and will take a few more tests to specifically see what can be done to increase out chances naturally or with IUI. I am hedging to not doing another IVF - I think that is too unatural, stressful, and emotional. Good luck to you guys.
    T