FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Frustrated and Confused on varicocele surgery

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bel1027
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Frustrated and Confused on varicocele surgery

My wife and myself are desperate for a child...I need varicocele surgery...I feel like a failure...sorry just hd to vent...

Rick and Bella

2. Advertisement

mm9772
    TTC naturally
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rick - YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!! Sorry for yelling, but you have to know that!! As Melbeth said, MF can be overcome, whether it's through your surgery or some other type of treatment.

And look at it this way - at least there's something you can do! My DH's male factor was most likely caused by a hernia operation when he was a baby and the Dr. said there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it, so he feels really helpless. You have this option to do something, and it may completely fix your MF, so take it one step at a time and hope for the best with the surgery. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and wishing you the best of luck!
    Maureen
    Maureen 35, DH 35. TTC#1 since 2/04. Dx: Severe male factor, old eggs
    IUI #1-5, IVF #1, 2 & 3 all BFN.
    Ya-Ya! Royal Baroness of wonderful mommy to furbabies whom enjoys scrapbooking
    & whose house *is* completed who will defeat IF from Hawaii people

Tnatural
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick -

Varicocele is not the answer. It is just one thing, that may or may not affect you, which isn't too intrusive to fix so why not do it type thing.

How bad are your SA numbers? Will any slight improvement make an IUI a good possibility over IVF with ICSI? Give us some more information. What have you tried to date?

Stay strong for both of you, this is a long fight. Nobody on these boards is a failure. To me, a husband and wife that continue to fight a battle that some people are so blessed to not even know exists have amazing fortitude.

T

bel1027
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry just frustrated

I guess I feel a bit overwhelmed because of the operation that I need...my wife is pushing for a child this year...thats all she wants for the next four birthdays of hers...we've been married 12 going on 13 yrs and she has never pushed for it until she reached 29...she won't go anywhere anymore...she is embarressed to go to partys, baby showers, get togethers, reunions, etc... I can understand because its always the question on when we will conceive...now all I hear is talk about IVF in Mexico which I am strongly against...she has also been crying alot...and I jsut can't seem to make her happy because of this...I had a sperm count of 18,000,000,(maybe I put too many zeros)...I was put on a drug called Proviron which hired my sperm count dramatically but nothing happened because she has PCOS, now she is doing well hormonely so I don't know...then there is the scare of going impotent...like if not being able to get my wife pregnant isn't enough...it's just awful...my insurance doesn't cover infertility either...can it get any worst?Yes my mother in law has asked us to try Sperm Donors...Absolutely not I said...is it selfish of me to want to try to father a child of my own??? I would do that if there were no other option but my wife just cries...sorry to vent again...sorry.
    Rick

bel1027
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Melbeth127

Thank you for sharing your story...I believe if I try I can beat this...your story has really inspired me and has given me hope...I will get a 2nd and third opinion now that all this has come up...thank you.

Rick

dgjauregui
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am just glad to see you talking about this and discussing it in public on a message board. There aren't many men that will do that, my DH included. We are dealing with extremely high ASA's, and he doesn't seem to feel the least bit guilty at all....... I am fretting enough for both of us, I assume.

God Bless you two. I'm a fellow Texan. Wish you luck with the surgeries and such.

DJ

bsteff
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi - I'm new here and my husband had varicocele surgery done in Jan 05 and had a sa done in mid may and not change. UR told us to come back in 4 months to do another sa. Just wondering if anyone has any info on varicocele's and how long results to take. been ttc for 3 years and were getting anxious.
    Any info would greatly by appreciated
    bsteff

lambchops
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My husband had double varicocele surgery in early 2004. One was a grade 2, the other grade 3. He had slight improvement for his initial checkup, but at his 4 (or was it 5) month checkup he'd reverted back to his innitial numbers (awful morphology, fine movement & good numbers).

The results can and often do take up to 6 months to happen. That's time time it takes for the male body to apparently adjust following such a surgery. Dont' worry--not yet. If it doesn't work (like in our situation) the docs may very well recommend IUI. Dont' think anything is a complete lost cause.
    --Shelly (31), DH (32)

Mommy to Zachary Nathan (5/6/6), Only Child...HELP!

Sevencagedtigers.com - Blog
    Flickr - Photographs
    Epinions - Product Reviews

Tnatural
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Varicocele

Had Varicocele both sides 8 months ago. No improvement at all so far. Urologists must make good money performing all those surgeries - I think they are the only Dr's that market it as having any positive effect on SA results. I think they tell you it takes 'up to 12 months' to see any improvement so that you don't go back there before that time and ask them how you fell into the % of persons that it did not help. The surgery has been around for decades, but yet nobody can specifically say (other than theories) exactly why or how it improves SA. The urologist also seemed to throw around a lot of % figures - but with so many of these surgeries done, you figure someone would have a concrete answer if it helps or not and when. I guess magically by month 12 if I have higher SA numbers I will get Varicocele T-Shirts made up, but for now I would have to say it was a bust.

T

lambchops
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think the success rates are around 60% for improvement (at least from what I've read). That gives plenty of room for error. My husband's varicoceles were definitely repaired. There is, however, something else underlying that causes his morphology issues. I don't think docs have a way to test for this.

As far as the % numbers go, the docs at U of M don't seem to throw around any. This has been my experience now for 10 years with oncologists, three urologists, cardiologists, and reproductive endocrinologists. I'm starting to think it's something of a UM norm. Not that I'm complaining.
    --Shelly (31), DH (32)

Mommy to Zachary Nathan (5/6/6), Only Child...HELP!

Sevencagedtigers.com - Blog
    Flickr - Photographs
    Epinions - Product Reviews

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast