FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Acrosomal deficiency...huh?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    sendai
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Acrosomal deficiency...huh?

Hi! Can anybody help? We got the written results of our S.A. back. While the count was low (20mil/ml) what really has us wondering is the morphology results. It said that 2/3 of them had acrosomal deficiencies? I've tried to do a little research on line but was wondering if anyone else had this issue? If so what did you do? Our dr blurted out IVF after giving us the results over the phone but I can't help but wonder if IUI would be a better first option. Also would Fertility Blend or individual supplements work in our case? I also have PCOS and am on Metformin 1500 mg. I did the math and I guess we have about 2.8 mil viable sperm after you factor in the motility, count and morphology. I know it's low but is it impossible?

Thanks!
    Barb
    Last edited by sendai; 05-25-2005 at 01:52 PM.

2. Advertisement

CindiR
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our RE told us that we had to have at least 5mil sperm post wash for an IUI to even have the possibility of working (and that would be a long shot!). We had morph issues and our RE told us to move directly to IVF which we did. I guess it depends on how much time you want to take....we were older and wanted to be very aggressive. That being said we had a suprise p/g after a sucessful IVF/ICSI so I guess you never know.
    CindiR

ds Sam 9 years (IVF/ICSI)

dd Molly 7 years (suprise p/g)

sendai
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info about post wash counts. Unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover IVF so I was really hoping for IUI. Your suprise pg gives me hope tho. I guess I'll cross my fingers and hope the Fertility Blend works for us. Thanks again.

Barb

Tru Brit
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know if this will help.
    In a long train of treatments my DH had (just one) bad SA, with poor morphology. Since we were moving on to IVF, our RE ordered an acrosome reaction test. I looked up on line - and essentially this test checks to see if the sperm can withstand the chemical reaction that occurs when it penetrates the egg. (apparantly poor morphology means it might not be strong enough to).

Well my DH passed that test OK, and for our IVF his analysis was described as 'good'. Still a little concerned we decided to do 50% natural and 50% ICSI.
    Results - 5 of 8 eggs fertilized with ICSI, 2 of 8 eggs fertilized with natural.
    (currently waiting for news to see if they are dividing.......)

don't know what all this means - but thought it might help.

Can't remember the site(s) I got info from, but if you type in Acrosome Reaction test on any search engine I'm sure you'll find some answers.

Good Luck!!!!!

sendai
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing with me! Good luck to you! I'll keep my fingers crossed. Is the test you were refering to the same as the 'Hamster Test'? That one is where they try and use a man's sperm to fertilize a hamster egg. I'll have to look it up. We are going to do a second S.A. I hope the second one will come out better. My dh quit smoking about 2 and a half to 3 months ago now so maybe that had something to do with it? Probably not the whole issue but who can say. We really can't afford the IVF right now so I hope it's something we can work around without going the IVF route. Thanks again for writing! Any info helps.

Barb

Little fluff
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Barb

I would visit a health food store and see what they recommend for your DH. My DH is on a heap of different vitamins for his low sperm count and poor motility and I have just experienced my 3rd pregnancy in 4 months (this one hasn't made it either). My naturopath did Iridology on my DH to see just what he was lacking, but seriously you would be suprised what supplements are available for almost any condition.

Good luck Barb, IF is hard enough when there is one problem to overcome but with both parties having problems it is just so much more complicated and stressful.

Debbie