FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
? on Morph

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    AnnieKay33
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

? on Morph

I'm just wondering if someone could tell me about morph. Are that something they can see on a SA? I just don't remember them talking about a morph % So I'm wondering if that is something we need to look at. Dh had 27mil. count and 35% motility. So we are thinking that is the problem. The weird thing is in dec. he had white blood cells in there also. When we did it again at then end of feb. there were no WBC. So we didn't think there was an infection. Then we went to do IUI about 3weeks later and report from the sperm wash said there were a lot of WBC's again. Now we are thinking he has prostatitis. He has no symptoms of this at all that is what is so weird. Most guys from what I understand have bad pain with prostatitis. He is now on 28 day antibiotic treatment to get rid of WBC's and we are praying that it helps things. Has anyone had any experience with this? The urologist's pa told me that it probably won't help with count but should help motility? So anyway I really hope this works because if it doesn't than he'll have to go in and see urologist and dh isn't thrilled to hear that! Let me know what you all think. -Annie
    Me 27 DH 28
    ttc 1 1/2 yrs
    DH-low ct & mot.
    Me-Ok
    IUI #1- Mar/05-BFN
    IUI #2- 4/15/05-50mgs clomid-BFN
    May 05 100mg clomid 50mg prog. & BMS

2. Advertisement

smelly_cj
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sperm morphology deals with the structure of sperm. This may be something you know and I'll give the basics here: Sperm have head, body and tail. The head contains hormones that are used to break into the egg. Differing morph could be mal-formed body, tail, longer or shorter tail or body and no having a suffficient "cap" on head.

Morph rates should be in 5%+ rate to get pregnant. But, I just had SA and my morph was 1% "normal". Dr says no big deal, others have gotten pregnant with that amount.

Honestly, I'm not putting too much weight in the morph as long as motility and count are good.

Good luck I hope that helped?

AnnieKay33
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Morph the same as abnormal forms? That is the only thing that I can think of that was talked about on the SA. He had to have a certain # or less of abnoraml forms but just wondering if that is the same thing. -Annie
    Me 27 DH 28
    ttc 1 1/2 yrs
    DH-low ct & mot.
    Me-Ok
    IUI #1- Mar/05-BFN

smelly_cj
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Morphology of Sperm is basically the structure of Sperm. Is the Head, body and tail "normal" in size and shape! Function deals with motility and count. When they read off the SA and say," 78% abnormal and 22% normal." that's what they're talking about, the morph.

AnnieKay33
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for getting back to me. Ok so I read the SA report again and this is what I could find on abnormal forms. The reference range at the bottom of the report said that abnormal forms had to be 40% or less to be in the normal range. He had 20% so I assume that it's ok. If someone knows if this morph. is ok please let me know. I just want to make sure that they don't over look something. Another ? I have is since dh is on antibiotics will that have any effect on the count/motility when we do the IUI next week. He is almost done with the 28day treatment. I'm just hoping his count doesn't get worse being in the antibiotic. Thanks for your help. -Annie
    Me 27 DH 28
    ttc 1 1/2 yrs
    DH-low ct & mot.
    Me-Ok
    IUI #1- Mar/05-BFN

lambchops
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My RE stated that morphology needed to be above 10% to get pregnant. Anything below was an issue...

The again, my DH has a double unrepaired (he had an unsuccessful surgery over a year ago) varicocele which probably changes things significantly. His morphology is somewhere around 5% after surgery (about the same as before). His problems are not our only issue--we're a double-problem not-quite-family.
    --Shelly (31), DH (32)

Mommy to Zachary Nathan (5/6/6), Only Child...HELP!

Sevencagedtigers.com - Blog
    Flickr - Photographs
    Epinions - Product Reviews

TxTom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Morphology

In talking about morphology you must find out what the numbers are, are they WHO numbers? If so they don't mean much, if your talking morphology you need a strict morphology, and anything below 5% is not good. My number had gone up to 100million with good movement, etc all that stuff with WHO numbers, but the kruger strick morphology never moved over 3%. Strict keep in mind is the % of pefect sperm and is hard to test for accurately as two labes could be a few %s apart, its kinda ballparked under a microscope.

Some Dr.'s disagree, I was going to a Dr. in Houston, very well know has comments in all the mens health mags etc. He did not feel the low stric meant an IUI would not work but did admit the %s were lowered, even said naturally was possible. Well 6 IUIs none worked. He also did not feel my blood pressure medications had anything to do with it, was not concerned at all.

Now we went to another Dr. for my wife and he was dead set that if my Strict morphology had not improved that we needed to proceed to IVF. He also was of the opinion that the high blood pressure meds were the cause, I just don't think there is a enough information here, not enough research. He tried two IUIs before we went to a successful IVF with ICSI.

So I for one beleive morphology is key, but not just WHO numbers, strict kruger % needs to be considered.

Tom

MarkinMD
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxTom
    Some Dr.'s disagree, I was going to a Dr. in Houston, very well know has comments in all the mens health mags etc. He did not feel the low stric meant an IUI would not work but did admit the %s were lowered, even said naturally was possible. Well 6 IUIs none worked. He also did not feel my blood pressure medications had anything to do with it, was not concerned at all.

Now we went to another Dr. for my wife and he was dead set that if my Strict morphology had not improved that we needed to proceed to IVF. He also was of the opinion that the high blood pressure meds were the cause, I just don't think there is a enough information here, not enough research. He tried two IUIs before we went to a successful IVF with ICSI.
    I couldn't agree with this more. Same exact thing happened to us. 6 unsuccessful IUIs with one doctor who paid little attention to the fact that my normals were between 1-3%. We switched doctors and this one told us from the get-go that we were probably only going to be successful with IVF/ICSI (and he was right, although we tried one IUI in the meantime while he was getting dw's hormone levels "calibrated").

Hey, it worked for at least two people on this board alone. It can work for others!

PGDMommy2be
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

PG,M/C ment

I just wanted to add that you can get pg w/ low morphology , However
    we were told that it lowers to chances & increases the risk of m/c.
    I did get pg 3 times w/ dh having a morphology issues with 5-7 % normals.
    2 of those 3 ended in a m/c (due to sperm issues, stemming from the morphology)
    Both m/c tested + for the same chromosone abnormality Called Triploidy,
    2 sperm Or a 2 headed sperm fertilized my egg & caused a fatal duplication of
    every chromosone. This happend twice in a row & we were then advised
    to use IVF/ICSI. Our first IVF/ICSI was a success & we have a healthy
    17 month old son as a result!
    Clomid miracle '00
    M/C#1 Baby boy 3'02 @13wks & M/C #2 baby girl 12'02 @11wks Both sadly lost to Triploidy
    IVF/ICSI/PGD#1 = Miracle '04
    Loss#3 6'05 FET/PGD#1 Chemical
    IVF/ICSI #2= TWIN Girls!! Born 35w4d 2006
    Natural Miracle 2008

"Sometimes the Miracle you pray for is NOT the miracle you may recieve"

beach
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

morph

Congratulations on your son! I too have a son via IVF. At first and even through my IVF 3 1/2 years ago-- I was dx'd with unexplained infertility. My dh's sperm were never tested for morphology--or at least that's what I believe. Sometimes, the "business" of infertility is blamed on the woman. Not until my son was 2 years old--I asked my dh to go to a urologist and low and behold--he has 1% nl morph. He had a double varicocellctomy in Oct. I am waiting for his 9 mo results. What are the chances we'll get preg again??? You have given me some hope--thanks!!