FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Do any of you have pets?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    plastic
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Do any of you have pets?

Hello,

DH and I just had to have our 13 yr old dog put down due to kidney failure yesterday. Our dog got sick and within a week and half, he was so sick he had to be put down.

I know animals aren't children, but since DH and I don't have children, our dog was a special part of our lives. So, I'm dealing with losing our dog, and at the same time, in 3 days is the baby shower for my sister which myself and my Mom are giving her.

So, I guess i'm just venting. I don't visit the forum regularly, but when things happen like this, I end up coming here for support. It just seems like a lot to deal with all within one week. I find myself wondering if I'm crazy for being as upset over our dog as I feel I am. Just sad and missing him.

2. Advertisement

Stacypit
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I have been dealing with infertility for 6 years. Still no baby. We had a dog since we got married. He was eleven and we had to have him put down in October. He was like my son. It was so hard. Hope you feel better soon.
    Me (40)Stacy DH (34)Michael
    TTC #1 since 2005
    IUI #1 June 2005-BFN
    IUI #2 July 2005-BFN
    IUI #3 August 2005-BFN
    Lap October 2005
    IUI #4 April 2006-BFN
    Lap August 2008-removed left tube (hydro)
    IVF #1 October 2008-BFN
    FET January 2009-Chemical
    IUI #5 with injectables-April 2009 BFN

On to embryo adoption

jujuhand
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are absolutely not crazy for feeling this way. 13 years is a long time to love something, human or not. In some ways, we can be more intimate with our pets than with our own family so it is no wonder you are feeling a major loss. I had to put down my cat, who was 11, three years ago. It was devastating and I cried non-stop for a week. My DH didn't know what to do. We later went on to adopt two kitten siblings and now I can't imagine life without them. People may think we're strange for the attention we give our cats, treating them like they are our children, but they are! We probably will never have children of our own since we are nearing the end of our IVF journey and odds are stacked against us. Since I don't want to adopt, my pets will be the closest thing I will ever have to having a child. And, I'll never have to send them to college!

I know it's really hard now but things will get better as time goes on. Don't feel crazy for being sad. I know there are tons of people out there who will agree with me.
    Me:39 DH:37
    Fibroids, Endo, advanced maternal age and male factor infertility
    IVF#1 - BFN
    IVF #2 -BFN
    IVF #3 - 2 FETs - BFN
    IVF #4 - transferred 2 embryos - BFN
    FET #1 - Chemical pregnancy
    FET #2 - Finally a BFP!!!!- Baby girl born 2/9/2011

crochetqueen
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have 3 cats. (everyone at work calls me cat lady) and they are my babies. its not crazy at all. our families are our families, so when coworkers talk about their children i talk about my cats.

jujuhand
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have three cats too and the way we carry them around and talk to them, it is like they are our babies. My MIL who lives with us thinks we're nuts. The ironic thing is, she has another son who lives 5 minutes away and who is expecting his first child later this year but she never gets to see him (his wife is a major b***h!) I guess she'll just have to do with three fuzzy grandkids.
    Me:39 DH:37
    Fibroids, Endo, advanced maternal age and male factor infertility
    IVF#1 - BFN
    IVF #2 -BFN
    IVF #3 - 2 FETs - BFN
    IVF #4 - transferred 2 embryos - BFN
    FET #1 - Chemical pregnancy
    FET #2 - Finally a BFP!!!!- Baby girl born 2/9/2011

luv_721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Yes I have 2 dogs 2 foster dog and 4 cats and would have more if I had space.
    These animals allow me to let go of the grief I feel of not having children.
    I understand your pain with each loss over the years it has been so hard.
    You have to take your time and work though it.
    I am so sorry
    Winnie
    Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
    Dalai Lama
    9yrs TTC #1 PCOS
    Beta 14dpiui 23
    Beta 16dpiui 58
    Beta 20dpiui 486
    U/S 6w1d strong

bigsis
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Plasitic
    My sympathy to you and your DH.
    Pets certainly are part of our family and they provide us with that uncondtional love that we so long for. Give yourselves time to greive, then give another pet a loving home.

KirstenW
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are right to feel this way. My husband and I both adopted a dog from a dog rescue and one evening after the cable guy left the gate was not closed tight and the wind blew the gate open. Both my dogs got out and one was hit on the freeway. This was over a year ago and I still am sad when I think of Patches. He was my husabnd and I first dog after we were married. Yes he was a part of my family.

Take the time to grieve your pet and when the time is right adopt a new dog.
    Me 38
    DH 45 low motility VR
    TTC 3 years
    2/11 IUI BFN
    7/11 IVF #1 BFN
    Upcoming IVF 10/11

quality68
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    recently i just bought one tortoise at my home
    it is only one pet i have

Ririand
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I very much sympathize with you. My husband and I also love animals. Our dog is 11 years old. She appeared before we had a child. We have a baby through surrogacy. We were worried that a dog could not accept a child. We were worried that the dog could be aggressive and hurt the child. But they love each other very much. The dog never showed aggression towards the baby. Although, the kid often snatched the dog by the nose and ears. Although, when I'm doing the same thing, the dog growls at me. After all, dogs are incredibly smart. Also we have two cats. But they are incredibly arrogant and narcissistic. I do not like to talk about them. They often wake the child for no reason and do not give us enough sleep and it irritates us. Recently our dog got sick. Our dog had oncology. Initially, in one of the clinics the dog received an incorrect diagnosis. The dog underwent chemotherapy course in vain. It hurt her liver. The second doctor put the correct diagnosis and appointed an operation. Operation was successfully completed. The operation was in September. We were very worried and the kid also. We are very worried about our dog. But, I want to say that one should love animals. But, if you do not have children, do not despair. There are surrogacy, donors, IVF, you need to fight for the possibility of motherhood. After all, animals do not replace the child. Unfortunately... We, for example, do not regret the fact that they have entered into a surrogacy program ...