FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
TMI - How much moisture are you getting?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    amanda28
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

TMI - How much moisture are you getting?

Hi ladies,

I have had a pretty rough week and a half. I have had major contractions, every now and then since last Tuesday. I went to L&D and they said my cervix is still closed but they were tracking alot of contractions that I couldn't even feel so they told me to keep a close eye on things. I went to my OB on Monday and he said the contractions I am having are just as painful as regular ones but the "are going the opposite way" (whatever that means) so they are not affecting the cervix yet.

My question - don't answer if it's too personal - how much moisture are you feeling? I am allergic to pantiliners so I can't wear anything or I end up with an infection and the last couple of days have been really bad. I have had so much "moisture" that I am at work and my pants are actually soaked. However, there is not too much additional discharge.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I called my OB and the nurse blew me off as per usual and I don't go back to him until May 4th.

Thanks
    Amanda
    Eric 5/31/05

Isaac 9/11/07

2. Advertisement

homeschoolmom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay...this is a little gross, but smell your panties. Do they smell sweet or like urine? It could be lack of control, because the baby is pushing and/or you are having contractions. If it smells sweet, it could be amniotic fluid. Amniotic fluid has a sweet smell, kinda like your new baby's head will. If there is any doubt, please go to L&D and have them test for fluid.
    The only baby I had my water break on it's own was with my ds. I had already lost my plug a couple days before. I thought it would be bloody when my water broke, but it wasn't. I thought I had peed in my pants, but my panties were sweet smelling and it was confirmed at the hospital it had broke.

Good luck to you and this will end very soon with a precious baby as your gift!

Michelle

casey
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    UGH!! I can't STAND it when nurses blow you off!! I have only called my OB twice this entire pg and when I called on Monday I was completely blown off with the "don't worry it's probably normal" response. At my regular appt yesterday my Dr scheduled me to see the Peri. They shouldn't be so quick to say everything is normal.
    Anyway, I'm having more moisture than usual but not to the degree it sounds like you are. Do the Michelle test and go to L&D if you have any doubt. You can't risk infection if your water has broken.
    May 4th is a long way off.
    Take care and keep us posted!
    Katy...SAHM to
    Madison Elizabeth 4/29/2003
    Lauren Catherine 4/29/2003
    Ella Renee 5/31/2005

ScrappyCat
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I too have moisture, but I only really notice it at night. I wear a liner and can tell it gets "filled" (yuck, I know) but I can also smell the urine smell. At night I sleep without undies so I feel the moisture when I walk to go pee.

Your doctor can do a simple test to check for amniotic fluid...I know cause I had it done last visit, when I told her I was leaking when I coughed. It's noninvasive, just a strip that turns blue if it's amniotic fluid.

I just have to say I'm so sorry about your nurses...you should bring that up at your next doctor visit. I feel so blessed to have a great dr. with a great staff. When in doubt, they bring you right in and I don't ever think I've felt blown off.

I too have been having contractions but from what I understand it's the ones you don't feel that are the "real" ones. so...my question...if you don't feel them, how do you know you're having them??

Lisa

homeschoolmom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lisa~

The thing with contractions, is it really depends on the person. When I was pg with my first, I had regular, able to time contractions for 4 days. They were painless, but I did feel them. If I kept my hand on my belly, I could feel my uterus tighten up. If I was up walking around or doing something, I would miss them. With these contractions, once "real" labor started they did get more intense and I could feel them. The real painful ones don't start until I'm towards the end of labor, or I'm given Pitocin...yuck! At least for me, once I was in "real" labor and my cervix really got dialating, the contractions were noticable and timable. I really think you will know when you are in "real" labor.

Michelle

ScrappyCat
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    michelle, I agree...with my first, I was dilated 3 cm and had no clue...this was about 1 1/2 months before I was due. I was given brethin to stop the contractions and put on bedrest. The only thing that gave it away for me was I had tons of pressure down there

Since it was my first, I had no clue that it wasn't "normal" to feel that much pressure so early on. It was like my baby's head was right at my cervix....again, no clue it wasn't "normal"!! I just went on like everything was okay. It wasn't till my dr. appt that she told me home immediately, on bedrest.

I really hope my water breaks again this time...since I'm not that good of judge, that'll be my clue I'm in real labor!!!

Liv's Mommy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amanda,
    With this pregnancy at this point I am not having a whole lot of moisture...well anyhitng out of the ordinary I guess. With my lat pregnancy I had more.
    Anyway, I wanted to mention about the paper that Lisa was telling you about. Usually if you ask your OB for some they can give it to you so you can test it at home, or at least mine does anyway. That way you won't have to wonder if it is amniotic fluid or not.
    Jen 36 dh 40
    #1 dd 7/17/02
    My precious little girl!!
    #2 dd 6/10/05
    My other precious little girl!!