FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Cord Blood Banking

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Erin26
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Cord Blood Banking

My DH and I have been trying to decide what to do. Have any of you decided for or against it? If I had the cash, I think I wouldn't even be thinkig about it. However, I would have to put the $1700 on a credit card for now. It's been a hard decision for us. What are you ladies doing/thinking?

Thanks,
    Erin
    Age 27, DH 27
    Cycle 6 -IVF BFP!!!! EDD 6/23
    Nathan James
    Born 5/31/05
    6lbs 10oz 19in

2. Advertisement

kathyd
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Erin,

I really struggled with the CORD blood decision with our first baby. Everywhere I looked was just so expensive....and not that you can put a price on the benefits if you ever need the cord blood....but at the time, it was a hard choice.

For us, we felt that we would never forgive ourselves if our baby ever needed it, so we decided to do it. I researched EVERYWHERE and finally decided on CYROCELL. They were the most reasonably priced and what I liked best about them is that they DO NOT sell cord blood. Most of the other places will sell your cord blood if you miss a payment. Cryocell is the oldest cord banking company in the country. They don't sell blood for research, they are just in the cord blood banking business.

Their prices have gone up a bit since we did this with Grace....but they are still WAY more reasonably priced than anyone on the market. I was just on their site and saw that they have some awesome payment plans too....you could pay like 100 bucks a month until the initial amount is paid off, then just pay your yearly fee.

My doctor was really impressed with cryocell too.

I have coupons for $100.00 off and I would be happy to send you one if you would like. Check them out: http://www.cryo-cell.com

The people are friendly and their servcie is wonderful. We will be doing it with this baby as well. My hope and prayer is that we will never need it.....but I would rather never have to regret not doing it.

Hope this helps!

Kath
    me 36 DH 33
    m/c 12-7-01
    m/c 3-22-02
    DD Grace 5/9/03
    m/c 3-22-04 :angel
    DS Ryan 5/12/05

ScrappyCat
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We've actually been really considering it. Kath, I appreciate your comments and research! And, if you have any extra coupons!!

We didn't even consider it with Wesley, but the good news is, more than likely Tori's will be a match if we needed it for Wesley. I do need to talk with my OB about it though, cause they need to be in the "know"!!

Lisa

grainne
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are going ahead with the cord blood banking. A friend of mine is recommending a company here in Vancouver that charge around 800 CAD and 125 per month after that. I wont know for sure until we actually do it.

I think its a great thing to do.

Grainne
    Me 46, TCC # 1 for 7 years.
    1st DE IVF 10/01/04 BFP,
    1st Beta 10/13/04 278, 2nd Beta 10/15/04 947

Kathy326
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Barge from July

We are doing it through CBR (cord blood registry). With a $250 coupon available on-line, it came to $1500, with a $95. per year (not month, year) storage fee. My OB charges $250. to collect it, however CBR will reimburse us $125. for that. Also, we took an interest free 6month payment plan.

My MIL survived lymphoma--a disease that cord blood can help treat.

FYI--cord blood is not used to treat the child whom it belongs to. It has never been done, as far as my research shows. It is used as a match for sibs and other family members.

Good luck with your decision. I know the financial burden is alot to consider.

Kathy
    28w5d--taking it one day at a time
    EDD 7/6/05
    IT'S A BOY!