FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
***MissyK***

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Erin26
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

***MissyK***

How are you doing with the GD? How is the diet? I'm a litlle freaked out... I don't see a dietician until the middle of April!! I have gotten NO advice or information about what I'm supposed to be doing. My nurse called me today and said she would send me a diabetic diet to follow unitl I see someone, but I haven't gotten to ask any questions or anything. She did tell me that I failed 3 out of 4 of my tests.. my fasting was fine, in the low 80s. I failed 2 of the other 3 by just 3 or 4 points, and I think, the two hour by 6-8 points. I've been trying to watch what I eat, but I end up starving myself because I'm afraid to eat something bad. I usually live on cheese and crackers, fruit, and pasta.. I'm not a big meat eater at all. I just don't know what to do.. I'm getting a little scared. What kind of things were you told to do? Thanks for listening and for any advice you can pass on.

Erin

If anyone else has anything to add.. feel free!
    Age 27, DH 27
    Cycle 6 -IVF BFP!!!! EDD 6/23
    Nathan James
    Born 5/31/05
    6lbs 10oz 19in

2. Advertisement

missyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Erin!
    WOW, that sucks that you cant see the dietician any sooner! Let me see if I can help some.

Okay for me, and I bet you will be pretty much the same,, I can have Two carb choices for breakfast,, 3 for a snack between breakfast and lunch,, 3 for lunch,, 2 for a snack between lunch and dinner, and 4 for dinner,, and then 2 as a snack after dinner, before bed..
    Let me explain....
    Breakfast,, 2 carb choices.. Bread counts as 1, milk can count as 1,yougurt can count as 1, a fruit can count as 1
    So for breakfast, I have ONE piece of toast with butter, and a cup of milk, or no milk and I have yogurt. You can have an egg if you want because it is not counted as a carb choice.
    each carb choice is counted as 15 grams of carbs. So you can have 30 grams for breakfast.
    midmorning snack-3carb choices.. so maybe sugar free choc pudding, a fruit, AND a graham cracker
    Lunch- you get 3 carb choices.. So i may have a sandwich, with turkey,or roast beef, with cheese and mayo.. Two pieces of bread equals TWO carb choices.. Then you can have a cup of milk for your third carb choice, OR if you dont want milk, you can have a fruit, or yogurt or something else as long as the serving is no more then 15 grams of carbs.
    afternoon snack-3 carb choices. SO maybe celery and peanut butter, a cup of milk, and a yogurt. Or you can do away with the milk add 15 of those lil stick pretzels
    dinner-4carb choices...SO you can have your meat, then maybe a piece of bread with butter, a veggie (the ones that would be counted are corn, and peas) others are pretty well free.. you can have rice, or pasta, but 1/3 cup equals 1 carb choice,, thats NOT alot to eat.. I mean if you only have one of them you can have 2/3 cup. You can have a small baked potato with butter and sour cream. Like tonight, we had spagetti,, well I get four carb choices for dinner and since you really dont have anything else with spagetti, (except maybe garlic bread) I could have FOUR 1/3 cup servings if I wanted. Or 3 1/3 cup servings and milk.
    After dinner snack (before bed) you get two carb choices. I had 4 vanialla wafers and a cup of milk,, Or you can forgo the milk and have the vanilla wafers and sugar free pudding, or yogurt, or a fruit..
    One thing to limit is pasta and rice,, they have LOTS of starch and it turns directly to sugar in your body.This is probably very confusing to you,, I will list a conversioin guide for you that tells you how many carb choices a food equals by looking at the carbs it has.
    Total carbohydrate grams Carb choices
    0-5 0
    6-10 1/2
    11-20 1
    21-25 1.5
    26-35 2
    36-40 2 1/2
    41-50 3
    51-55 3.5
    56-65 4
    66-70 4.5
    71-80 5
    81-85 5.5
    86-95 6
    96-100 6.5
    SOO you can pretty much have what you want as long as you stay with how many carb choices you get for each time you eat. If you look at a label and it says something has 25 carbs per 1/2 cup then look at the chart above and see that 25 carbs =1.5 carb choices,,
    again the breakdown breakfast -you get 2
    snack - you get 2
    lunch - you get 3
    snack- you get 3
    dinner- you get 4
    snack - you get 2
    This is VERY confusing, I hope you understand some of it... If you give me your address I can send you some info if you think you would like it before your appt.. Maybe they can get you in sooner,, That is crazy!!!!! I you DONT understand something PLEASE ask me.. I would be more then happy to explain it better,, OR if you have ANY other questions..
    Missyk
    Mommy to Kaelyn 11/22/2002--My little sweetie!
    My Wild mamma!--Carlee Grace 05/31/05

Erin26
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    OH MISSY!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! You did a wonderful job explaining it to me. I feel sooooooo much better now. I was trying to be so brave and strong about this, but lately I've been having a nervous breakdown about 3 times a day. I think I would be doing better if I had been able to talk to someone by now. This morning I had a nervous breakdown because I hadn't felt the baby move but maybe 2 or 3 times in almost 2 hours.. just as I was about to call the Dr on call ( I had already tried to call my OB, but they are closed today), he started break dancing in my belly . My nerves are just shot at this point. I'm just seconds away from tears at all times. I'm just soooo worried about my baby.. I know you of all people understand. Thank you again. You have truly helped me.

Love,
    Erin
    Age 27, DH 27
    Nathan James
    Born 5/31/05
    6lbs 10oz 19in

missyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Erin!!
    I am so glad that I was able to help you some.. IF you have ANY more question about anything let me know okay. I know what you mean about the worrying. I am the same way. It seems like the baby hasent moved as much in the last week or so and of course My mind goes to bad places. I also think at times that I am not as big as i have been or am not getting bigger. Dh tells me I am wrong and I think it is just nerves. Try to limit your sugars and starches and pastas etc and you will be fine! It will be glad when you get to talk to the dietician, that will give you some comfort too. Remember if you need anything let me know..
    Missyk

Erin26
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, more questions.. do i have to eat all the snacks? and do i have to eat on a schedule? Are you testing and if so how often.. are you able to keep you levels where they want them?

Thanks Again!

Love,
    Erin
    Age 27, DH 27
    Nathan James
    Born 5/31/05
    6lbs 10oz 19in

missyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey!
    As for the snacks they are very important because they help to stabalize your blood sugar. Also you dont want to dump keytones in your urine because they cross the placenta to the baby and can be dangerous when you have diabetes. By not eating enough you can do that. I have to eat 2100 calories a day and i have to keep a food diary of what I eat. I went to see the dietician today for a follow up and she said I was not eating all of my carb choices for my snack periods and sometimes dinner,, She told me i need to eat them. I was told at the beginning that they would rather you be on insulin (if you cant control it with diet) then to skip foods to try to keep your sugar level down. That is not a good thing to do.
    I check my blood sugar BEFORE breakfast.. then an hour after,, then an hour after lunch,and then an hour after dinner. So, basically FOUR times a day. I have managed to keep it where it should be except for today. But i have been sick with this preg just like i was with kaelyn and usually I get up at 430am when dh gets up for work to take a Zofran (anti neasea medicine) and I didnt this morning and i woke up at 7am throwing up and felt bad all day long. The nurse said that is probably why my number were off today. I didnt eat anything different. But every other day it is good. Surprisingly enough they are good. LOL I thought I would never be able to keep them under control.
    Missyk

Erin26
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Missy - Thanks again! It sounds like you're doing great.. I hope I can manage as well as you are. I'm sorry you're still having stomach problems. On top of everything else! I bet you're ready to have this baby. I read in your update about the cost of the test strips!!!! WOW! I better call my insurance to see what they cover. I don't know if I can afford to pay that much out of pocket.

Keep me updated on how you're doing and I'll do the same.

Erin
    Age 27, DH 27
    Nathan James
    Born 5/31/05
    6lbs 10oz 19in